PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New user - making sound work help needed

PaulRow
January 21st, 2009, 09:51 AM
Hi,
I am an absolute new user as my first contact with Linux is a few days ago when I installed it on my Compaq Presario. The install went ok, and everything seems to work fine....except the sound.

I have searched the forums here and found a few things to help.
The sound on the computer is onboard and is described as Aureal 3D. I have downloaded a driver for Aureal 3D for Linux but do not know how to load the driver. Can someone advise in a "dummies guide" way as I have no knowledge of the Linux commands.
Thanks

PaulRow
January 21st, 2009, 09:58 AM
Bit more info...
I did run the command (I cannot remember the detail) that lists the devices recognised to look and see if the audio had been loaded and it was not in the list.That is why I looked for a driver.
I also changed around the settings in the sounds dialogue...but with no effect

green_lantern
January 21st, 2009, 10:39 AM
Please refer to: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683

Also right click your sound control icon and use OSS instead of ALSA, I had the same problem with many commands and changes but doing the simplest thing fixed it.

PaulRow
January 21st, 2009, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the reply. I tried switching to OSS and it still did not work.
The link you quote is interesting but I think gives instruction on playing and recognising different stream formats...but I think that my problem is that my audio hardware isn't recognised.

I have actually been online and 'played' streaming formats....but I cannot hear anything as there is not sound hardware recognised