PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Brother MFC-9440CN in 8.04

BJ_Covert_Action
January 21st, 2009, 08:45 AM
Hey Everyone,

My roomate and I are looking to invest in a multifunction toner printer to use for a small home office. We have a few options available to us at the local stores and so I wrote down all of the model numbers and checked them against openprinting.org (http://linuxfoundation.org/en/OpenPrinting)

So far, of the model numbers, none seem to work "perfectly." The models we were checking out are:

Brother MFC-9440CN
HP LaserJet 2840
HP LaserJet CM1312 nfi
Canon Imageclass MF8180c
Xerox Phaser 6115MFP

Of those listed above, the HP's seem to work "mostly" though not perfectly. The Canon is classifed as a paperweight, and the Xerox also works mostly. However, I was not able to find the Brother MFC-9440CN on that website.

I found that the Brother MFC-9420 works "perfectly" but that does not necessarily imply the 9440 does. Does anyone know of another place to look for compatibility information? Does anyone know if the 9440 uses the same driver as the 9420? I found a couple of websites listing the driver package for the 9440 and have found scant references to it being usable on ubuntu. Nonetheless, before I purchase a very expensive piece of equipment, I would like to be as sure as possible it will work.

Any thoughts anyone?

I am currently running Ubuntu 8.04 and have a Canon IP1600 installed (junk) if that helps. Let me know anymore information needed.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

AndersF
January 29th, 2009, 01:44 PM
I suggest you try the Brother company web site

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/en_us/index.html

So far I have only had good experience with Brother printers and scanners in combination with Ubuntu. If you just follow all the steps in the instructions I think you will be successful. I'm not aware of any other printer company that has as complete Linux support as Brother.

Road
February 24th, 2009, 12:37 AM
Agreed. Go to that site and the brother works pretty great. Probably some of the best hardware support from a printer company I have seen. Everything works great except the pcfax. That works ok but does not hold a candle to the windows counterpart. I have this exact printer runnung Ubuntu 8.10

BJ_Covert_Action
March 3rd, 2009, 06:51 PM
Awesome thanks for the pointers guys.

Cheers,
Brady