PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Zune MTPZ

bchamberlain
January 21st, 2009, 07:32 AM
Ok, so I was wondering if someone has figured out how to get linux to interact with a Zune. I don't even need full interaction, just a way to play the music I already have on the Zune, just like a dock would. Is there some way to do that... I don't think you need to decode the MTPZ handshake in order to use the computer like a dock. Look at iHome's dock for Zune, or look at how the FM transmitter works. Couldn't we just get the Zune to talk to the computer like that? I know that you can just hook it up via an aux cable, but that's boring and doesn't offer all that much functionality. Basically I want to turn one of my old computers into a dock like the iHome. So where do I start?

TheTeZ
February 7th, 2009, 11:39 PM
i am pretty sure that songbird will let you do what you want. only think you wont do is write to it. you can delete (i think) and you can definitely view and play its contents.

.... but why use an old comp to play zune music when you can just load up a computer with music by itself....?

bchamberlain
February 16th, 2009, 12:54 AM
good question. it is because I have a zune pass. the music is basically "rented" for $15/month. i was looking into buying a speaker dock for the zune, but i thought that since i had an old computer laying around, that might be able to do the trick. and i can't load the zune pass content onto the linux computer b/c it is "rented" and, thus, drm'd. i'll check out songbird tho. thanks!