PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Bluetooth not working - BCM2046 Chipset

DJRumpy
January 20th, 2009, 11:19 PM
I installed 8.10 on a Sony Vaio VGN-FZ290. It apparently has the broadcom BCM2046 bluetooth chipset.

This same hardware works under Vista
I can plug in a external dongle and bluetooth functions properly

I installed a device manager and I do see both the external dongle and the internal bluetooth listed.

When I open the bluetooth prefs to configure a new pair, I see tabs for both the internal and external, although the internal doesn't have a 'friendly name' predefined. I don't know if that's significant or not. The internal adapter just shows up as 'Adapter' on the tab. The external dongle shows up with a 'friendly name' of 'hostname-0'. I can successfully configure a device on the external, but the internal just doesn't seem to work.

I'm pretty much a linux newb although I know my way around a PC so be gentle ;)

Any help?

DJRumpy
January 22nd, 2009, 04:02 AM
Bump...
Anyone?

DJRumpy
February 2nd, 2009, 04:21 AM
Bump again...

DJRumpy
February 10th, 2009, 04:56 AM
Is this the correct place to look for help with Ubuntu?

DJRumpy
February 18th, 2009, 12:03 AM
I have to conclude that the Ubuntu community support sucks :(

I'll just stick with Windows.

Kosimo
April 26th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I'm having the same chip and I can confirm isn't workin under jaunty

weaselnet
November 13th, 2009, 02:55 PM
I too have issues with bluetooth under Ubuntu 9.04. I however dual boot as always Windows and Linux. It is interesting that whatever doesn't work under Linux always will when I boot to Windows. I currently can not get my camera or bluetooth to function correctly. One thing for sure though is I will not sacrifice the loss of them just to run Linux.

Argard
April 6th, 2011, 09:13 PM
Me too, I have an BCM2046 in my vostro 3500 and it doesn't work too.

AlanR8
April 6th, 2011, 09:16 PM
Always a good plan to stay moderately current with your Ubuntu version and yes this is a good place for suggestions and guidance....

DJRumpy
April 6th, 2011, 09:49 PM
You do realize that suggestion sounds a bit silly given that I asked for help with this issue two years ago and still no responses?

I gave up on this a long time ago and went with a Mac. Nice unix/bsd underpinnings, also runs Windows, Linux and of course comes with OS X, although I never both with Linux anymore.