PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Jaunty support?

EnderEcho
January 20th, 2009, 10:44 PM
What kind of support can I expect when I update to Jaunty? This is going to be a prett new experience for me installing Ubuntu on a System76 machine so I just wanted to make sure someone had my back.

How will I get the system76 driver updater in Jaunty?

Are there any expected problems with hardware for a DU3?

thomasaaron
January 20th, 2009, 11:10 PM
What kind of support can I expect when I update to Jaunty? This is going to be a prett new experience for me installing Ubuntu on a System76 machine so I just wanted to make sure someone had my back.

Once Jaunty is officially released (i.e. not beta or alpha versions), we will begin officially supporting it. If you upgrade prior to that, you will have to rely primarily on community help to work out the bugs... and there will be some bugs this early in the game.

We generally start working out the bugs a few weeks before a new version is officially released and then add the fixes to a new version of the System76 driver. So, ideally, you would upgrade to Jaunty, install and run the new System76 driver, and reboot your machine.

Realistically, there are always a few hosed upgrades because everybody rushes to be the first to upgrade. I like to wait for the load on Ubuntu's servers to decrease before upgrading my *personal* computers. Usually, I wait about a week or two.

There's also a chance that we will miss a bug or two that doesn't appear in our testing procedures. Usually, if you wait a week or two, those will become evident and get fixed.

How will I get the system76 driver updater in Jaunty?

Keep an eye on the forums. We usually announce the release of new drivers. At any rate, by the time Jaunty is released, there will be a new one ready.

Are there any expected problems with hardware for a DU3?

Not that I know of. Although, there probably would be all kinds of issues if you upgraded this early.

EnderEcho
January 21st, 2009, 12:32 AM
Thanks again TA. Always prompt and thorough.

That was the one thing I was worried about switching to Ubuntu. The support from 76 on these forums have been outstanding. Even with some of my ridiculous questions.

Where the heck did the thank you option go?

thomasaaron
January 21st, 2009, 04:51 PM
I'm not sure. I know they had some issues with the forums for a few days. Not sure if that has anything to do with it, though.