PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wifi stops working after second reboot

Rem3
January 20th, 2009, 06:19 PM
Hi everyone,

first the short version: I install Ubuntu, run all the updates, restart, instsall ndisgtk, install appropriate windows drivers, reboot, wifi works, reboot again, wifi does not work anymore and nothing helps :(

now the long version:

I've read almost every thread on the Internet about wifi and ndiswrapper. I followed the sticky thread about troubleshooting wifi at this forum. But nothing helped.

Here is my problem and description of what I do:

I have Acer Aspire One which comes with Linpus Lite preinstalled. I remove that one and install Ubuntu 8.04.1 following this manual: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AspireOne

When the Ubuntu is installed I install all the updates that Update Manager offers. After that I reboot.

Next I install ndisgtk using Add/Remove in Application menu. Then I go to System > Administration > Windows Wireless Drivers and install these drivers:
http://download2.dvd-driver.cz/atheros/drivers/ar5008/xp32-6.0.3.85.zip

Then I reboot and hey! :) Wifi works! It shows all networks around me, I can connect to few of them. Heaven on Earth.

Then I reboot again. And even when I prayed heavily during the reboot the $#@#%^ wifi does not work any more and I can't get it working.

I am stuck with this for more then a week now. Trying different approaches (have reinstalled ubuntu like zillion times), googling a lot. But nothing.

Please help. SOS. . . . / - - - / . . .

Thank you,

Rem3

PS:
lshw -C Network
*-network
description: Wireless interface
product: AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter
vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ndiswrapper+net5416 driverversion=1.52+,06/05/2007,6.0.3.85 latency=0 link=no module=ndiswrapper multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11g

iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

wlan0 IEEE 802.11g ESSID:off/any
Mode:Managed Frequency:2.412 GHz Access Point: Not-Associated
Bit Rate:54 Mb/s
Power Management:off
Link Quality:0 Signal level:0 Noise level:0
Rx invalid nwid:0 Rx invalid crypt:0 Rx invalid frag:0
Tx excessive retries:0 Invalid misc:0 Missed beacon:0

If you need more info please let me know. I will check this thread regullary.

pbc3
January 20th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I've been experimenting with 8.10 and have similar issues. I've found that removing the network-manager and network-manager-gnome almost fixes my issue. My wifi is usb external and I have to remove it during reboot or I hang when the bluetooth module is loading. If I replace it once the desktop appears, my wifi loads and connects perfectly. You do have to setup your interfaces and resolv.conf files manually. Hope this helps you as well.