PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can't connect to internet via ADSL with 8.10

LonelyTraveler
January 20th, 2009, 03:52 PM
Hi guys.

I might have asked this question here before, but nobody could help me, so as this is about 2 and a half months later I figured I'd try again. Was actually hoping this would be sorted out via a update by now.

Since doing a fresh install to 8.10, my ADSL (wired, lan or whatever you wanna call it) does not work. When I plug the modem in, the network manager starts working and then connects to a connection it creates on its own called Auto eth0. Only problem is this is all it does. I can't open websites, ping Google, or even ping the router. My work computer running Windows XP is connected to the same router, so the router is fine.

The machine is question is my personal laptop and it has a built-in 3G card which works perfectly with the network manager.

With 8.04, I could just plug the cable in and it worked perfectly.

So I would really appreciate it if someone can help me as I need both connections here.

I can never remember what commands to run to get more information, like what kind of network card I have, so please let me know so I can post that information. (And make a note of the commands this time! ;) )

Thanks a lot.

all metro
January 20th, 2009, 04:47 PM
I am having the same problem. I have a dual boot system. When I boot to XP my network works fine. When I boot to Ubuntu with the same setting it says I am connected but Firefox wont load.

When I run "sudo dhclient eth0" I get the following:
No DHCPOFFERS received.
No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.

Not sure if that normal?

Thanks Tim

LonelyTraveler
January 20th, 2009, 06:51 PM
I am having the same problem. I have a dual boot system. When I boot to XP my network works fine. When I boot to Ubuntu with the same setting it says I am connected but Firefox wont load.

No DHCPOFFERS received.

Not sure if that normal?

Thanks Tim

Hi.

I'm not at work at the moment so I can't check what response I get to that command. Will check tomorrow and let you know.

LonelyTraveler
January 21st, 2009, 08:19 AM

No DHCPOFFERS received.

Not sure if that normal?

Thanks Tim

I take it you only posted the last part of the output? This is what I get:

crownambassador@CrownAmbassador-Laptop:~$ sudo dhclient eth0
[sudo] password for crownambassador:
Internet Systems Consortium DHCP Client V3.1.1
Copyright 2004-2008 Internet Systems Consortium.
All rights reserved.
For info, please visit http://www.isc.org/sw/dhcp/

wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
SIOCSIFADDR: No buffer space available
wmaster0: unknown hardware address type 801
Listening on LPF/eth0/00:1c:23:18:d4:0d
Sending on LPF/eth0/00:1c:23:18:d4:0d
Sending on Socket/fallback
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 7
send_packet: Message too long
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 14
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 15
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 13
DHCPDISCOVER on eth0 to 255.255.255.255 port 67 interval 12
No DHCPOFFERS received.

LonelyTraveler
January 21st, 2009, 10:37 AM
Tim,

What card are you using? (Command: lspic)

I'm using a Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM8755M Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express.

saygin
February 3rd, 2009, 03:31 AM
I am experiencing the sam problem too. I used to have internet connection with 8.04 but now, it can't connect to internet. I don't know what to do. Haven't yo found a solution yet?

LonelyTraveler
February 3rd, 2009, 09:03 AM
I am experiencing the sam problem too. I used to have internet connection with 8.04 but now, it can't connect to internet. I don't know what to do. Haven't yo found a solution yet?

Hi,

It has been resolved yes. Remove the words "interface-mtu" out of /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf

I also edit /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf and changed managed=false to managed=true. This is optional, but without it the network app will say you're disconnected.

Let me know if this worked for you!

saygin
February 4th, 2009, 08:36 PM
It worked! thanks a lot for your help!

LonelyTraveler
February 5th, 2009, 08:35 AM
It worked! thanks a lot for your help!

Great! Glad I could help!

dragonmojo
February 5th, 2009, 05:14 PM
It did not seem to work for me.

LonelyTraveler
February 5th, 2009, 09:49 PM
It did not seem to work for me.

Are you still using Hardy or are you on Intrepid? I had this problem with Intrepid but not on Hardy.

When you run ifconfig eth0, do you get an ip address?

visibletrap
March 16th, 2009, 10:30 AM
Hi,

It has been resolved yes. Remove the words "interface-mtu" out of /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf

I also edit /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf and changed managed=false to managed=true. This is optional, but without it the network app will say you're disconnected.

Let me know if this worked for you!

This worked for me!! Thanks