PDA

View Full Version : Playback Mysteries

dsbw
January 20th, 2009, 05:03 AM
I've been moving my video collection to my myth box and have encountered various mysteries I was hoping to shed light on.

For example, if I rip a DVD to ISO (my preference), sometimes playback works, sometimes it doesn't. I can see how that might happen due to security measures, okay.

But I don't get how it happens with AVI files. The internal player is just very iffy with those. Whycome?

larsolav
January 20th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I have had a similar problem for a while.
I had no problem with ISOs in 7.10 (with myth upgraded to 0.21), but then when I upgraded to 8.04 about half of my ISOs wouldn't play all of a sudden. (see my post at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=951590 ) So I switched the video player from the internal player to Xine. Xine is a little less user friendly, but at least it plays all my ISOs.
I hope someone can come up with a better solution (i.e. one that actually fixes the internal player...)

dsbw
January 21st, 2009, 02:01 AM
I'm using VLC for some ISOs, it just seems sub-optimal to have to run through everything to see whether it works.

And I still don't get the AVI thing: It should play AVIs or not, right? Not sometimes yes, sometimes no.