PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How can I find out if a USB drive is plugged in?

j_galt
January 19th, 2009, 11:21 PM
I'm trying to write a script that will run via cron only when an external USB drive is plugged in. I need to know two things:

1. How can I determine whether or not the drive is plugged in?
2. How can I script something that will, if the drive is plugged in but not mounted, determine what the device name is? (Once I can get the script to id the device, I'll have no problem mounting it...)

As I said, this is to be run via cron, so it has to work without any interaction from me. If I'm sitting at the keyboard and typing commands, I can easily figure this stuff out, but I have no idea how to automate it.

This is an issue because I sometimes have multiple USB drives plugged in at the same time. Since they are assigned a device name based on when they are plugged in, and they are plugged in and unplugged as needed, I have no way of predicting which device name will be assigned to which drive...

I've spent the last hour searching Google for an answer but without luck. Any ideas?

Thanks!

x22
January 19th, 2009, 11:59 PM
here's some ideas to start:

> determine whether mem stick plugged in

when mem stick in

"grep USB /proc/bus/usb/devices"

returns "S: Product=USB Flash Memory" but when mem
stick not in, returns nothing

> find name

"dmesg | tail | grep sd | grep ^" " | cut -d: -f2"

returns " sdd1"

j_galt
January 20th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the reply but...

Neither command returns anything.

My USB drive is currently plugged in & unmounted. /proc/bus/usb/devices doesn't exist, and the "dmesg" command returns nothing.

I'm running Kubuntu 8.10, though that shouldn't matter. Any other ideas?

j_galt
January 20th, 2009, 05:25 AM
OK. After a whole bunch more searching, I figured some things out. With the USB drive plugged in and mounted, I ran the following command to determine the device UUID:

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid

This gives me the following output:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 10 2009-01-19 22:10 0f733d68-17d1-489e-85d2-23e895354169 -> ../../sdb5

After some testing, I also determined that this entry only exists when the drive is plugged in. So I can use this entry to accomplish what I want to do. I can put the UUID into my script & run the above command to determine which device name it has been assigned.

Now I need to figure out how to take that output and assign only the device name - in the above case "sdb5" - to a variable. This is currently beyond my scripting knowledge to accomplish. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

j_galt
January 20th, 2009, 06:33 AM
There's gotta be a better way to do it, but the following command gets me what I need:

ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid | grep 0f733 | sed 's/ //g' | awk -F"/" '{ print $3 }'

The output is simply -- sdb5 -- which is all I need.

Can anyone simplify this for me? I'd appreciate it...

Thanks

Yashiro
January 20th, 2009, 06:43 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=168221
Might also be of interest.

j_galt
January 20th, 2009, 08:00 AM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=168221
Might also be of interest.

Thank you very much!