PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How do I get rid of Video Tearing?

Roasted
January 19th, 2009, 10:28 PM
Note:

I tried X11 video output setting on VLC.
I turned off Compiz Fusion.

I have no idea what I can do. I hate watching movies in Ubuntu and seeing a rippling line horizontally across the screen during action scenes.

I have a 9600GT 512mb 256bit PCIEx16 2.0 graphics card. I'm running a 24" Dell 1080p widescreen monitor as my main + a 19" eMachines monitor as my secondary.

My system is a fresh install of Ubuntu Intrepid 64 bit. I did a fresh install yesterday. I installed libdvdcss2 as well as medibuntu repository. I don't know what else I can do.

I already use Vista exclusively for gaming. I don't want to use Vista exclusively for multimedia use as well. That'd pretty much render Linux useless for my needs.

Anthony T.
January 19th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Try setting desktop effects to None. It removed all video tearing for me in World of Warcraft but then again I'm new to Linux aswell so it might not work.

Melcar
January 19th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Can't really fix it. Try using opengl instead of Xv and force vsync. on the video driver; that seems to work for most people.

Roasted
January 19th, 2009, 11:11 PM
Can't fix it?

Then why does Intrepid have tearing, but Hardy didn't?

Certainly there's a fix. Somehow.

Roasted
January 19th, 2009, 11:54 PM
Try setting desktop effects to None. It removed all video tearing for me in World of Warcraft but then again I'm new to Linux aswell so it might not work.

As I said, I already turned off compiz fusion. With it on or off, it makes no difference.

metallicamike
January 20th, 2009, 12:02 AM
the same things happen to me in intrepid but not in hardy....must just be a bug

Roasted
January 20th, 2009, 12:39 AM
Stupid question, but if I put Hardy on my computer, would it be likely that Hardy would be running the same kernel that Intrepid uses for the sake of hardware support?

Roasted
January 29th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Is there an active bug report for this? Can we expect that in the next release of Ubuntu, or (hopefully) it be fixed during Intrepid's life cycle???

browndog
January 29th, 2009, 02:37 AM
Note:

I tried X11 video output setting on VLC.
I turned off Compiz Fusion.

I have no idea what I can do. I hate watching movies in Ubuntu and seeing a rippling line horizontally across the screen during action scenes.

I have a 9600GT 512mb 256bit PCIEx16 2.0 graphics card. I'm running a 24" Dell 1080p widescreen monitor as my main + a 19" eMachines monitor as my secondary.

My system is a fresh install of Ubuntu Intrepid 64 bit. I did a fresh install yesterday. I installed libdvdcss2 as well as medibuntu repository. I don't know what else I can do.

I already use Vista exclusively for gaming. I don't want to use Vista exclusively for multimedia use as well. That'd pretty much render Linux useless for my needs.

When you're watching a movie in VLC click on the Video (or Playback menu...can't remember which one) and set the Deinterlace option to Discard. I found it works great for getting rid of those lines.

Roasted
January 29th, 2009, 02:42 AM
When you're watching a movie in VLC click on the Video (or Playback menu...can't remember which one) and set the Deinterlace option to Discard. I found it works great for getting rid of those lines.

No dice. In fact, it made no difference.

It's upsetting... using Vista for movie usage... :(

browndog
January 29th, 2009, 02:51 AM
No dice. In fact, it made no difference.

It's upsetting... using Vista for movie usage... :(

Of course...do what you must. I hope you keep an eye out for such a time that Ubuntu DOES suit your needs. Take care.

Roasted
January 29th, 2009, 04:12 AM
Of course...do what you must. I hope you keep an eye out for such a time that Ubuntu DOES suit your needs. Take care.

It does everything I need it to, and then some. With the exception of being able to play decent games and... in this case... play movies that are worth half a shat to watch.