PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New Nvidia 8800 GS Unusably Slow

cubeist
January 19th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I purchased an nvidia 8800 gs and the performance is horrible in both 2d and 3d. For example, scrolling a window is choppy, glxgears gets 900fps, dragging windows on the desktop are not smooth, but jerky, and playing a couple games like Flightgear or Torcs gets unplayable fps way below 30 (compared to my old ati 3200 which could get 60fps+).

I have tried every single nvidia driver from 173 through the latest 180.22, and the low performance occurs with and without compiz running. Although the older 173 drivers are better than the newer ones! but still awful overall.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated before I return the card and go back to ATI!!

PS - I know it is not defective hardware because the card works great using the backup "low graphics mode"!

cubeist
January 20th, 2009, 11:07 PM
It appears this is common problem to many, many nvidia 8xxx owners. Some graphic chips even though nvidia claims they are supported in linux, work very poorly with both 2d and 3d graphics.

I returned the card and went back to ATI with a new 3650 which runs cool and quiet with decent performance (I am not a huge gamer).

Overall, I would strongly recommend ati over nvidia for linux if you plan to use the restricted drivers. YMMV, but ATI appears to have better linux support.