PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Delay with midi sounds

daoo
January 19th, 2009, 07:45 PM
I'm trying to use tuxguitar and Virtual MIDI Piano Keyboard (http://vmpk.sourceforge.net/). VMPK is for using with my midi-keyboard. For this to work I've installed timidity++ with apt and start the daemon with the init.d script. But when vmpk or tuxguitar is trying to play a note, there's always a slight delay, 0.5-1 sec, which isn't very nice. When playing an entire track in tuxguitar the notes are played at the wrong time.

However when playing a midi file with the timidity command, banshee or totem, the playback is perfect.

I'm using Jaunty 64-bit but had the the same problem in Interpid 64-bit. I have a Creative Audigy LS (SE) if that helps.

I've tried by uncommenting lines in /etc/timidity.cfg but it didn't do any difference.

If anyone could help me I would be grateful.

DonnieP
January 20th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I'm trying to use tuxguitar and Virtual MIDI Piano Keyboard (http://vmpk.sourceforge.net/). VMPK is for using with my midi-keyboard. For this to work I've installed timidity++ with apt and start the daemon with the init.d script. But when vmpk or tuxguitar is trying to play a note, there's always a slight delay, 0.5-1 sec, which isn't very nice. When playing an entire track in tuxguitar the notes are played at the wrong time.

However when playing a midi file with the timidity command, banshee or totem, the playback is perfect.

I'm using Jaunty 64-bit but had the the same problem in Interpid 64-bit. I have a Creative Audigy LS (SE) if that helps.

I've tried by uncommenting lines in /etc/timidity.cfg but it didn't do any difference.

If anyone could help me I would be grateful.

Try using fluidsynth instead of timidity. You'll need the fluidsynth, fluid-soundfont-gm and qjackctl packages.

daoo
January 20th, 2009, 04:10 PM
I installed fluidsynth with the soundfonts, but I don't understand how to use qjackctl. If i run: "fluidsynth -m alsa_seq /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2", I get a new connection which has terribly bad sound quality (without delay tough).

DonnieP
January 21st, 2009, 05:21 AM
I installed fluidsynth with the soundfonts, but I don't understand how to use qjackctl. If i run: "fluidsynth -m alsa_seq /usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2", I get a new connection which has terribly bad sound quality (without delay tough).

First run JACK Control (qjackctl) from the Applications menu but don't turn the server on. Then run fluidsynth without the '-m alsa_seq' parameter. Then go back to JACK, click the connect button and connect the keyboard (or whatever else) on the left side to 'FLUID Synth' on the right side. Sound quality might be affected by the gain setting vs system volume.

daoo
January 22nd, 2009, 09:08 PM
This works well for VMPK, but not with tuxguitar.
Tuxguitar doesn't appear like vmpk in the connections manager of qjackctl and when selecting the midiport with tuxguitar's settings->sound it gives the same bad quality as before.

PulseAudio volume according to alsamixer is 78

Typing "settings" in fluidsynth gives:

audio.output-channels 2
audio.periods 16
audio.alsa.device default
audio.file.name fluidsynth.raw
audio.sample-format 16bits
audio.period-size 64
audio.jack.autoconnect 0
audio.jack.multi no
audio.jack.id fluidsynth
audio.oss.device /dev/dsp
audio.input-channels 0
audio.driver alsa
midi.alsa.device default
midi.alsa_seq.device default
midi.alsa_seq.id pid
midi.oss.device /dev/midi
midi.driver alsa_seq
synth.reverb.active yes
synth.ladspa.active no
synth.midi-channels 16
synth.polyphony 256
synth.sample-rate 44100.000
synth.verbose no
synth.chorus.active yes
synth.effects-channels 2
synth.gain 0.200
synth.audio-channels 1
synth.dump no
synth.audio-groups 1
shell.prompt >
shell.port 9800
lash.enable 0

DonnieP
January 24th, 2009, 02:17 PM
Have you installed tuxguitar-alsa and tuxguitar-fluidsynth?

daoo
January 24th, 2009, 03:23 PM
Yes, but the sound quality doesn't change from what I can tell, it's still bad. I've also tried installing tuxguitar-jse and using the Real Time Sequencer instead of TuxGuitar sequencer, still no difference.

EDIT: This maybe linked to something else, because I just noticed that I get some crunching with all sound playback. Though it's not the same amount for all applications. For Banshee there's almost impossible to hear it, but with the flashplayer and youtube you'll definitively hear it and in tuxguitar it makes your ears hurt.