PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Cannot connect to internet on Ubuntu 8.10

RobSu
January 19th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I went to Network Configuration (System > Preferences > Network Configuration) and put in the information for the network I want to connect to and I hit "OK", but nothing happens. I don't know what to do now. The blue wireless light is on that is on the front of my Eee Pc. I saw this post while browsing these forums:

You need to provide more info to help us help you. Post the output of the following commands from Applications->Accessories->Terminal.

ifconfig
iwconfig
sudo lshw -C network

So I figured that I'd do that here:

robert@robert-laptop:~$ ifconfig
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:1e:8c:ec:9f:5e
UP BROADCAST MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:1
collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
RX bytes:0 (0.0 B) TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
Memory:fbfc0000-fc000000

lo Link encap:Local Loopback
inet addr:127.0.0.1 Mask:255.0.0.0
inet6 addr: ::1/128 Scope:Host
UP LOOPBACK RUNNING MTU:16436 Metric:1
RX packets:332 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:332 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:22148 (22.1 KB) TX bytes:22148 (22.1 KB)

robert@robert-laptop:~$ iwconfig
lo no wireless extensions.

eth0 no wireless extensions.

pan0 no wireless extensions.

robert@robert-laptop:~$ sudo lshw -C network
[sudo] password for robert:
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for robert:
*-network [B^[[B^[[B^[[B^[[B^[[B^[[B^[[B^[[B^[[B
description: Ethernet interface
product: L2 100 Mbit Ethernet Adapter
vendor: Attansic Technology Corp.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:03:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: a0
serial: 00:1e:8c:ec:9f:5e
capacity: 100MB/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vpd bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=atl2 driverversion=2.0.4 firmware=L2 latency=0 link=no module=atl2 multicast=yes port=twisted pair
*-network UNCLAIMED
description: Ethernet controller
product: AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter
vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:01:00.0
version: 01
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm msi pciexpress msix cap_list
configuration: latency=0
*-network DISABLED
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 1
logical name: pan0
serial: 02:2b:d4:6f:93:15
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes

If there's anything else I can do to help you guys fix my problem, let me know. I just got Ubuntu two days ago and I'm new to it, but I really like it and I need internet access to use it at school.

Thanks!
-Rob

Iowan
January 19th, 2009, 07:06 PM
Are you trying to connect via wired or wireless?

RobSu
January 19th, 2009, 07:10 PM
Wireless.

Iowan
January 19th, 2009, 07:26 PM
I don't (yet) have/use wireless,, so can't help... You might use the forum Search (http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php) with keywords "eee" and "Atheros". I saw a few threads - some even marked [SOLVED].

RobSu
January 19th, 2009, 09:49 PM
Thank you for the suggestion. I searched the said threads and I did not find anything specific to my problem, but I did find alot of helpful information about Ubuntu on the Eee PC though. I still cannot access the internet via wireless, I don't even know how to make it search for the network that I want to connect to. I put in all the information of the network in Network Configuration but now I don't know how to search for it.

EDIT: By the way, I plugged the Eee Pc in with a wire and it connected me straight to the internet. Wireless is still a no-go though.

jonobr
January 19th, 2009, 11:02 PM
Heres an interesting post

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=902860

RobSu
January 19th, 2009, 11:56 PM
Yeah it is interesting, but I have no idea what he's going on about. Are you implying that I need to install drivers or something? Or should I just blindly follow what he said to do on my Eee PC and see if it works? I just don't want to mess anything up...

jonobr
January 20th, 2009, 12:09 AM
HI

gabsik in the 3rd post outlines the steps which seem to be just remove ndis wrapper and install madwifi.

The README contains the instructions, so he says.

I think if there are any problems you could just remove the madwifi app and drivers.
However, you may want to add a comment to that post, they are probably still subscribed to it and appear to have the experience with your specifc hardware

RobSu
January 20th, 2009, 02:11 AM
I found the help page that he was talking about and I'm following the instructions, but now I'm on this page:

https://help.ubuntu.com/8.10/internet/C/ndiswrapper.html

and I'm on step one:

Obtain the Windows Driver for your system and locate the file that ends with .inf.
How do I obtain the Windows Driver? What driver is it even talking about? For my system? What?

InVeritasFindME
January 21st, 2009, 09:46 AM
I hope this is somewhat helpful, but if you are using a eee pc then consider an OS like the one from eeebuntu.org or geteasypeasy.com. They have all the drivers already loaded for eee owners, and as I understand are built upon ubuntu... sorry if this is out of place, but I am somewhat new to this and about to install this myself on my eee pc 1000 (40gb SSD).

- InVeritasFindME

Truin
January 28th, 2009, 09:32 AM
To get the wireless working you need to install either the drivers via ndiswrapper etc or you can install kernel that supports the wireless card by default. Kernel installation instructions can be found in http://array.org/ubuntu/index.html