PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Can anyone recommend a good compressing program?

b3n0
January 19th, 2009, 01:53 PM
Hey all,

I have a couple of .mpg's that need to lose some fat. can anyone recommend a good compressing program?

I've so far looked at mjepg and theora

Thanks

glotz
January 19th, 2009, 02:39 PM
Are you talking about lossless compression or transcoding? You might want to include the word MPG or audio/video to the thread title.

mcduck
January 19th, 2009, 04:14 PM
You could give Avidemux a try.

b3n0
January 20th, 2009, 01:10 AM
Are you talking about lossless compression or transcoding? You might want to include the word MPG or audio/video to the thread title.

Fixed, thanks for the tip ;)

Thanks I will give this a go.
Do you know if it is easy to install? I tried installing handbrake last night...... Major pain, it wasn't an installer file and needed compiling.

Thanks

mcduck
January 20th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Fixed, thanks for the tip ;)

Thanks I will give this a go.
Do you know if it is easy to install? I tried installing handbrake last night...... Major pain, it wasn't an installer file and needed compiling.

Thanks

Avidemux is in Ubuntu's repositories. So it's as easy to install as possible. :)

b3n0
January 20th, 2009, 02:52 PM
I've been using super on my Windoze box. It seems to work... kinda. I'll have to take my laptop (ubuntu) to work tomorrow to experiment around with more formats.

Does anyone know if super works under wine alright?

b3n0
January 20th, 2009, 03:15 PM

Sorry mate, I forgot to mention. Yes I have been playing with this one too.

However I'm finding that the colours go wrong. Blues become orange and Reds become Dark blue etc...

Any tips? As I'd love to use this program... It looks easy to use.

mcduck
January 20th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Sounds like you need to swap chroma U and chroma V. (Skin color becomes blue, sky is beige/reddish brown, pretty much as inverse colors while black/white stay normal?)

There are several places where this can be done, "Video/Decoder Options/Swap U and V", "Video/Post Processing/Swap U and V" and in video filters. After changing the setting move a bit backwards/forwards in the timeline and you should see the colors change..

If that doesn't do the trick check Video/Filters/Colors, there are several color correction filters available that might help you to get the correct colors.

b3n0
January 21st, 2009, 12:42 AM
Sounds like you need to swap chroma U and chroma V. (Skin color becomes blue, sky is beige/reddish brown, pretty much as inverse colors while black/white stay normal?)

There are several places where this can be done, "Video/Decoder Options/Swap U and V", "Video/Post Processing/Swap U and V" and in video filters. After changing the setting move a bit backwards/forwards in the timeline and you should see the colors change..

If that doesn't do the trick check Video/Filters/Colors, there are several color correction filters available that might help you to get the correct colors.

Sounds just like what I'm experiencing. I'll give it a go on lunch break.