PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] sharing files with Windows 7

kidguayas
January 19th, 2009, 06:44 AM
I would like to thank you in advance for reviewing my post and try to help.
I have installed samba and works like a charm in windows xp. However a new windows beta version is in the market and the sharing folder is a bit confusing. If you know how to share folders between these two systems. I'll appreciate it.

Thanks,

kidguayas

theozzlives
January 19th, 2009, 06:50 AM
right-click on the folder and share with home group (either read or read and write)

kidguayas
January 19th, 2009, 03:14 PM
I tried to do the righ-click and it ask me about homegroup if I create one or join a homegroup windows 7 machine disapears from the nautilus. When I don't have a homegroup I can ping the machine, but I cannot see the files.

superprash2003
January 19th, 2009, 05:58 PM
you could try accessing windows shared folders from ubuntu like this http://www.prash-babu.com/2008/09/how-to-access-windows-shared-folders-in.html

kidguayas
January 21st, 2009, 03:36 AM
I have tried to connect to my windows 7 machine as instructed crt+L and typing the smb:\\IPADDRESS but still cannot see the folders I shared neither pops up a message for password and user name.

superprash2003
January 22nd, 2009, 04:41 PM
its smb:// not smb:\\

pajarraco
July 21st, 2009, 05:44 AM
I having problems with this. I have share my folder on my win7 machine and I can access from other windows machines. but when i try to access from my ubuntu box, I get a pop up window asking me for password and no matter what i put there is not connection

elitenoobboy
July 28th, 2009, 06:30 AM
I having problems with this. I have share my folder on my win7 machine and I can access from other windows machines. but when i try to access from my ubuntu box, I get a pop up window asking me for password and no matter what i put there is not connection

Try rebooting win7 to see if that fixes it. Its samba server isn't particularly stable for me, and sometimes it needs to be restarted to work properly.

pajarraco
July 28th, 2009, 02:21 PM
Hi, I did that, but still the same.

MaLaCoiD
August 4th, 2009, 09:02 PM
I'm having the same problem. XP can access the share, but not Jaunty. In Win 7, I changed the setting that requires a local account for access to make the XP box work.

poet_will
August 12th, 2009, 02:23 PM
This is the problem that I am having too. Windows 7 desktop with shared folders. When I try to access them with Ubuntu 9.04 I get a windows with a password. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

servicetech
September 17th, 2009, 02:51 AM
Mine just says "unable to mount windows share".

Xpire
November 12th, 2009, 03:24 AM
I get this problem too :( Anyone know what the problem is?

Hiperi0n
November 12th, 2009, 07:44 PM
I think Windows 7 sharing system is quite different, it is possible samba developers have not implemented it yet. Anyway, when creating a home group Windows gives you a password. You may try with that (I have had no luck at all).

Xpire
November 14th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Just updated samba and it works now.

dmizer
November 14th, 2009, 06:03 PM
I get this problem too :( Anyone know what the problem is?

See the 6th link in my sig.

MaLaCoiD
August 8th, 2010, 07:26 PM
See the 6th link in my sig.

Yes:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1169149

I walked through all the steps in the first post, and it still didn't work. Then I read it again and saw that I overlooked one. As soon as I uninstalled Windows Live Sign In Assistant in Windows 7, it started working. The other change I had made before that was making sure I was on Home instead of Unknown network. I had to change my Group Policy to allow that to happen- seems I checked Always Mark Network as Public or whatever.