PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wifi not working in Intrepid as it did in Cambridge

inspriation26
January 19th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Hello everyone,

I'm not a linux newbie but I do need some help. As you can tell based on the subject I switched from Fedora 10 to Ubuntu 8.10 because I ran Ubuntu on a virtual machine and fell in love with the ease of use over Fedora. I just came across one problem as I switched over: It has a driver for my wireless card but it refuses to work. The computer I'm currently useing is a Sony Vaio NR330E with a Atheros 802.11 PCI Express card. The network manager never even showed wireless networking as an option and I can't seem to get find the network manager from the system menu. All it has is network tools, frustrating me further. I do have to use Windows sometimes to play the Sims 2 and my wireless works there. Also on a side note, my wireless network comes off of my other computer through a netgear wireless router off of my ethernet connection from Windstream. I don't want to have to convert back to Fedora, not that it wasnt a great os. I just dont want to have to convert to being a windows only user again because of vista. When I run lshw -C network it says its disabled but it says the driver is on. and if i do iwconfig it says there is no wireless.
Please tell me how I may fix this problem? I need it soon because I'm a student and I need the internet for school purposes. I'd apreciate any help at all.

Thank you

darksideforge
January 19th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I'm interested in hearing any responses. I'm running a Toshiba with the Atheros 802.11 WiFi card built in and I've never had trouble before switching over to Ubuntu. I have great connectivity with the Ath01 networking via Cat5E to the wireless router (Linksys 802.11B), but I'm not even offered a wireless option under System>Network. I've created a Wireless 1 connection, and my Toshiba is showing recognizing the Atheros card as being installed under $lshw -C network but it's coming back as Disabled, meaning no driver is installed for the card. Where can I find the driver(s) needed? The Atheros offers a .EXE program download, but since I'm not running windows I can't download the executable to in turn download the Atheros driver. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

superprash2003
January 19th, 2009, 05:56 PM
post output of
1)lshw -C network

from the terminal

inspriation26
January 19th, 2009, 11:29 PM
Well I did find this program in the repository that can install windows drivers. I havent messed with it as of yet but I'll post what happens. How do you post out put on here any way?

inspriation26
January 22nd, 2009, 12:52 AM
ok this is the out put for lshw -C

PCI (sysfs)
*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: 88E8039 PCI-E Fast Ethernet Controller
vendor: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 15
serial: 00:1a:80:b9:c2:97
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=sky2 driverversion=1.22 firmware=N/A ip=192.168.1.5 latency=0 module=sky2 multicast=yes
*-network UNCLAIMED
description: Ethernet controller
product: AR242x 802.11abg Wireless PCI Express Adapter
vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:06:00.0
version: 01
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: cap_list
configuration: latency=0
*-network DISABLED
description: Ethernet interface
physical id: 1
logical name: pan0
serial: 9e:d1:16:09:58:ae
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A multicast=yes

I hope this will help. I'm not sure what to make of it.

breaky9973
January 22nd, 2009, 02:25 AM
Maybe it is the same issue as my wireless network card. The soft switch to turn on wifi doesn't work anymore after I upgrade to 8.10. I have to unload and re-load the driver again to make it work. In my case that is iwl3945.

try this for a change:

turn on wireless on your laptop/desktop

then unload the driver:

sudo rmmod sky2 (assuming sky2 is the driver name)

reload the driver:

sudo modprobe sky2

ibutho
January 22nd, 2009, 03:28 AM
Your have an Atheros AR242x wireless card. For some reason Ubuntu (Including Jaunty alpha 3) does not seem to play along nicely with these cards, but they work out of the box on other distros. Try the suggestions in this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1026770) and see if that helps resolve your problem.

inspriation26
June 2nd, 2009, 05:09 PM
Thank god that the offical release of Jaunty supports my card. I'm a ubuntu only user now! XP

Mgiacchetti
June 2nd, 2009, 05:58 PM
Wow, Cambridge to Intrepid?

No wonder it doesn't work the same, they're years apart :)

inspriation26
June 2nd, 2009, 10:16 PM
Wow, Cambridge to Intrepid?

No wonder it doesn't work the same, they're years apart :)
hey dont dis Fedora! It worked pretty well once I switched back to gnome. I think it was because i was using kde at the time. I think the fedora community works its @$$ off like the rest of us so back off. Sorry to get so defensive but I love that distro just as much as Ubuntu.