PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Downloading hardware drivers for another install?

midtown
January 19th, 2009, 02:46 AM
Hello!

I have a broadcom 43xx card in this laptop, and just installed Jaunty. The wireless doesn't work out of the box, but the only internet access I have is wireless, so is there a way for me to download the jaunty package (Broadcom STA wireless drivers) in Intrepid (what I am using currently) for Jaunty and install and activate it in the jaunty partition offline?

Thanks for any tips!

x33a
January 19th, 2009, 03:31 AM
if you have a deb or even a tarball, then you can transfer them to the other computer and install using dpkg or compiling from source.

midtown
January 19th, 2009, 03:46 AM
if you have a deb or even a tarball, then you can transfer them to the other computer and install using dpkg or compiling from source.

Thanks, although I know how to do that. What I don't know is what package the proprietary Broadcom STA drivers are in or how to get the Jaunty ones in Intrepid, so I am stuck at getting the package in the first place. Any hints on finding that information out?

x33a
January 19th, 2009, 03:52 AM
maybe this link could be helpful

http://bcm43xx.berlios.de/

Ayuthia
January 19th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Jaunty already has the Broadcom STA driver in System->Administration->Hardware Drivers. You shouldn't have to download anything to make it work. If you are having problems with it, try:

sudo modprobe -r b43 ssb wl
sudo modprobe wl
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart