PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] ATI X1300 - Diagonal 'tear' on video under MPlayer, VLC

badgerm
January 18th, 2009, 10:01 PM
I've installed the ATI video driver for my Radeon X1300, but have a weird issue when playing video through MPlayer, VLC and XBMC. When there is a lot going on (shot changes, lots of movement, etc.) the video seems to tear diagonally from the top left to bottom right of the display. It looks as though the display is in two halves, but is only noticeable at the join. The effect is uniform across all video formats, including DVDs, and only affects the video itself; if windowed the rest of the display is fine.

Does anyone have any ideas? I can't play DVDs without the prop. drivers installed, and can't image that my system is too slow (Athlon 64 3200, 1GB RAM). My first non-virtual foray into desktop Linux has caused me a few issues, but no others that I've not been able to resolve via searching online. It's driving me up the wall!

Cheers

listerthrawn
January 18th, 2009, 11:22 PM
Hi,

Try turning off the desktop effects and see if you have the same issue (System-> Preferences-> Appearance and the visual effects tab).

badgerm
January 18th, 2009, 11:30 PM
No change unfortunately, I turned off everything in Compiz too, to no avail.

theApokalypsis
January 18th, 2009, 11:35 PM
Did you try using Non xV playback as a temporary workaround?

i.e.

Totem
- Alt-F2
- gstreamer-properties

change under video tab from autodetect to (No xV)

VLC I believe you can change in its preferences.

Jaunty is just around the corner with this issue being fixed :).

Melcar
January 18th, 2009, 11:40 PM
All Linux drivers suffer from some from of tearing (how severe depends on the driver/system). Radeon and radeonhd suffer from it, Intel drivers a little, and not sure for nvidia (I'm guessing not). It has something to do with X and it's not just the driver's fault. Using opengl instead of Xv and forcing vsync. on seems to fix it for some people.

badgerm
January 18th, 2009, 11:59 PM
^
|
|

Cheers both, I'll have a play around and keep my fingers crossed for Jaunty.