PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Skype and Webcam

allegrosails
January 18th, 2009, 09:51 PM
Hi, I am new to Linux and Ubuntu. I want to get Skype up and running then move to ekiga. (My family is mostly on Skype).
I went to the Skype download site and downloaded the Ubuntu 7.04-8.04 package. But when I get "Error wrong archecture" when I try to install. It's not clear to me which other package I should download. My processor is:
Core 2 Duo E7300 2.66 GHz FSB 1066 MHz L2 3 MB

Suggestions?

Also: I purchased a Logitech QuickCam Communicate MP (S 5500) webcam. It comes with only Microsoft software. Where do I find drivers for it: Logitech site or elsewhere?

Thanks

drewbenn
January 18th, 2009, 10:17 PM
Sounds like maybe you are using 64-bit Linux but you downloaded the 32-bit version? If a "uname -m" in the terminal returns "x86_64," that might be the case. There is a 64-bit package under the "AMD64" section at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Skype, give that a shot.
I don't have a webcam nor have I actually used Skype, so I can't provide any help past that suggestion ;)

thomasaaron
January 19th, 2009, 03:53 AM
If you're using a System76 computer, follow these directions...
http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Installing_Restricted_Formats

perce
January 19th, 2009, 01:35 PM
Also: I purchased a Logitech QuickCam Communicate MP (S 5500) webcam. It comes with only Microsoft software. Where do I find drivers for it: Logitech site or elsewhere?

Thanks

Plug it in: either it works, or it doesn't. If it doesn't the best strategy is often to wait 6 months for the next version of Ubuntu. Supported hardware in Linux is often plug-and-play even if in Windows isn't.
(This is true only in first approximation: if you're expert, you can sometimes do some black magic and make a little more hardware to work)

allegrosails
January 19th, 2009, 05:10 PM
Thanks for the reply, Tom.
I was able to get a version of Skype loaded. (amd64). I now can get that application up, active and I can log on and see my contacts.

I still do not have either webcam or headset working.

I followed the link you provided. Add/Remove>>All available>>Other>>Ubuntu unrestricted extras.
When I applied changes, I got this message:
Cannot install 'ubuntu-restricted-extras'

This application conflicts with other installed software. To install 'ubuntu-restricted-extras' the conflicting software must be removed first.

Switch to the 'synaptic' package manager to resolve this conflict.

(Note: I installed gstreamer recently on an unrelated problem.)
I don't know about the 'synaptic' package manager. If I remove software, will something else break?

I got my Sable system (SAB-P3 Core 2 Duo E7300) last week with Ubuntu 8.10 and I believe I have 64 bit. I have gone to the Logitech site but am not sure which driver to download. I would rather load from an Ubuntu extra if possible and have it part of my package.

BTW: I found the vendor and product ID: 046d (Logitech) PID: 09a1 (Quickcam S5500)

thomasaaron
January 19th, 2009, 05:20 PM
Perce is right. The web cam probably will either work or it won't. There isn't a driver download for it that I'm aware of.

Here is a website that should get you moving in the right direction, though...
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Webcam

If you have a package that conflicts with ubuntu-restricted-extras, though, that's not good. That package contains most of the codecs you need for playing different audio and video formats.

If you go to System > Administration > Synaptic Package Manager and search for ubuntu-restricted-extras and try to install it, it will show you what packages are in conflict. Then you can remove them and start over with that first tutorial.

perce
January 19th, 2009, 06:30 PM
I can add, my webcam used to work until Hardy, but something was changed in the new kernel and now it shows only green garbage. This is a common problem in Inrepid, and there is a proposed fix on the web, which consists on starting skype with a strange option (search the forum for webcam Intrepid and you'll find it). Apparently this hack fixed the problem for most people, but not for me.

oregonbob
April 23rd, 2009, 02:19 AM
My Logitech Quickcam S5500 web cam worked just great with Skype, video and audio. All I did was install Skype, then I had to adjust the audio source by simply selecting the logitech audio source.