PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] HELP! My desktop needs butter...

buccaneere
January 18th, 2009, 08:42 PM
...cause it's
http://www.coldtoast.com/images/toastSliceWhiteBkgd.jpg

I booted up, and heard only the drum roll of the login page. Black screen! :confused: I entered user and PW out of memory, and sure enough, it started up with the cricket song (or whatever).

Can this be anything BUT the graphics card? It is a dedicated card; no on-board graphics. Anything I can test, besides pluggin' in another monitor?

I'm on another machine now, and I just logged onto my samba shares... Does that tell me anything else (besides the machine is booted up)???

Thanks

cariboo
January 18th, 2009, 10:46 PM
This is a pretty common problem. Try restarting in recovery mode and running xfix when it is done select resume, this will create a default /etc/X11/xorg.conf and you should be able to boot up to the desktop.

Jim

electrogeist
January 18th, 2009, 11:11 PM
LOL

As much as I hate non-descriptive titles, this one made me laugh

buccaneere
January 19th, 2009, 06:44 AM
A tip:

Before going into the closet, digging up an old CRT and power cord and confirming that the computer DOES work with a CRT, and then plugging your new LED into second computer (to confirm that your new LED is toast), and then confirming THAT by plugging the LED into a 3rd computer, check the power button on the LED to make sure it is turned on.

If it is turned OFF, it probably won't work regardless of what diagnostic tests you do.

Wizard OUT!