PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Intel GMA 900 vs. ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro

TheIdiotThatIsMe
January 18th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Hi, I was currently looking for an older replacement to my current laptop, which I'm looking to scrap later on. I found a good priced laptop similar to mine, but noticed it has an ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 Pro, while my current laptop has an Intel GMA 900. While looking at specifications, they seem somewhat similar (but note I am NOT good with graphics, as I've always had integrated anyways), except that the 9600 Pro I believe has dedicated memory (correct me if I'm wrong, it's simply listed as AGP for the Mobility Radeon).

In your opinion, would the two cards be similar, or would one be more powerful than the other? (Note I dont really play games much, but I do miss having any of the lesser compiz features like Expose due to the shared memory of my Intel GMA).

jespdj
January 18th, 2009, 08:00 PM
The ATI card is much more powerful than the Intel GMA 900. However, ATI (still) does not have really good Linux drivers, so it's possible that you get a problem to make it work fully.

If you want powerful graphics that work well on Linux, then an nVidia graphics card is the best choice.