PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Firefox Back Arrow Issue

29Tudor
January 18th, 2009, 03:58 PM
I'm having an intermittent problem with my Firefox browser. There are times when my back arrow is not an option. It doesn't highlight nor does it work. Any ideas?

ithanium
January 18th, 2009, 03:59 PM
maybe you are in a new tab or window :|

stderr
January 18th, 2009, 04:02 PM
Funny you should mention this. I've noticed a similar problem with Firefox under Fedora. Is it the case that if you right-click on the back button, you do actually get the back list?

29Tudor
January 19th, 2009, 03:44 PM
This is really bothering me.I post on a few woodworking and old car forums, whenever I open a picture, or a link, it opens in the same tab but the back and forward arrows are not operable (dimmed out.) Right click does nothing.
I have to close the tab, which closes the browser, and start over.

Please help, I'm ALMOST ready to go back to Windows!

ikisham
January 19th, 2009, 04:30 PM
You can try right-clicking the link and choosing to open in a new tab or window. Also check the Tabs part under Edit>Preferences.

redseventyseven
January 19th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Can you give us an example of a site where this happens?
It would help if we could try it ourselves and see if we can reproduce the problem.

kansasnoob
January 19th, 2009, 05:14 PM
This is really bothering me.I post on a few woodworking and old car forums, whenever I open a picture, or a link, it opens in the same tab but the back and forward arrows are not operable (dimmed out.) Right click does nothing.
I have to close the tab, which closes the browser, and start over.

I've not experienced your exact problem but I wonder if the official Mozilla build of Firefox would work any better?

The easiest way to accomplish this is with Ubuntuzilla:

http://ubuntuzilla.wiki.sourceforge.net/#tochome6

It really is as simple as downloading Ubuntuzilla to the desktop then double clicking the .deb to install to the repos, and then running in terminal:

ubuntuzilla.py -a install -p firefox

NOTE: Firefox must be closed while doing the installation!

29Tudor
January 19th, 2009, 06:13 PM
This has happened on 4 different forums, or most anything that has a link. Once I open the pic, or click on the link, there's no going back.

MickS
January 19th, 2009, 06:37 PM
Try middle clicking on the link, that should force it to open a new tab.

Mick

nanotube
January 20th, 2009, 01:22 AM
try starting with a fresh firefox profile (back up your bookmarks and stuff first, of course).

if that fails, you could also try the official Mozilla build of firefox using ubuntuzilla as kansasnoob suggests.

29Tudor
January 22nd, 2009, 01:38 PM
Problem solved...my fault, too accustomed to Windows.
Thanks to all that responded

nanotube
January 22nd, 2009, 07:16 PM
Problem solved...my fault, too accustomed to Windows.
Thanks to all that responded

Good news. :)
Please share what your solution was so that others who run into the same thing know what to do.

JohnWesleyMethodist
January 22nd, 2009, 07:35 PM

I fail to see how that would help. I am thinking back to all the weird problems I saw over the years with IE...