PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Networking n00b needs help!

Neodude112320
January 18th, 2009, 11:50 AM
Right,I Have 2 Computers (Laptop,Desktop).Now my desktop is running XP Pro SP3 and my Laptop is running Ubuntu 8.10.

Now i want to be able to files and my printer from my desktop to my laptop.Now i have *NO* Idea how to do this,They both connect wirelessly to my router,and i can ping them both no problems.

Any help would be GREAT!

theozzlives
January 18th, 2009, 11:57 AM
sudo apt-get install samba

gksudo gedit /etc/samba/smb.conf
Look for the line that says workgroup=WORKGROUP and change the one in caps to your Windows workgroup name.Save & exit.

sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart
setup your shares in Windows and Ubuntu.

Neodude112320
January 18th, 2009, 12:13 PM
Done!

Now,How do i setup shares :)

theozzlives
January 18th, 2009, 12:22 PM
in Ubuntu, right-click on a folder you want to share and go to sharing options. In Windows, right click on the folder (or the whole drive) and go to sharing/security (make sure you have file/print sharing enabled in Windows).

Ubuntu you can access the shares by going to Places>Network. In Windows it's My Network Places.

On both, just right click on your printer and go to share.

Neodude112320
January 18th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Excellent! It Works...

...Kinda

I Can acsess my shares on my windows machine no problem and transfeer files into my shares through that,but my laptop doesnt see my windows machine at all? It's in the correct Workgroup and i have checked everything....

Any Suggestions?

Iowan
January 18th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Not a permanent fix, but...
try typing smb://x.x.x.x where x.x.x.x is the ip of the windows machine.. it hopefully should open the shared folders.. http://prash-babu.blogspot.com/2008/09/how-to-access-windows-shared-folders-in.html