PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Monitor VGA Output Laptop TV Monitor -SOLVED

russ5811
January 18th, 2009, 08:01 AM
I have been helped MANY times in the forums and I am finally able to offer help to others. I have a Toshiba laptop with an integrated Intel graphics card (not NVIDIA or ATI). I wanted to enable VGA output simultaneously with my LCD screen to enable Boxee to play on my TV. Here's how to do it:

To edit xorg conf file, type the following into a terminal: sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Add this to END of xorg conf file to enable vga monitor out on laptop:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"
Option "DPMS"
HorizSync 28-64
VertRefresh 43-60
Option "MonitorLayout" "CRT,LFP"
Option "Clone" "true"
EndSection

Once this is added and saved, plug in the cable connected to your monitor or TV, then press CTRL, ALT, Backspace. And you will now have your LCD screen on your TV! If you already knew this, then I'm sorry to have wasted your time. I just hope it helps someone!

_Jo_
January 18th, 2009, 05:55 PM
Once this is added and saved, plug in the cable connected to your monitor or TV, then press CTRL, ALT, Backspace. And you will now have your LCD screen on your TV! If you already knew this, then I'm sorry to have wasted your time. I just hope it helps someone!

Excellent, there is some Ghosting, but I've finally got an output on my Sony Vaio! I've got a good starting point, just need to tweak it until it's right. Thanks for the tip.

Jo

yadayada2
January 19th, 2009, 12:11 AM
Very nice.

But I have a follow-up question. Dual monitoring in clone mode works fine, but what about real dual monitoring?

I got it working with other TFT displays, but not with my TV. For whatever reason, it's only working in clone mode.

Do you have a clue?

russ5811
January 19th, 2009, 01:12 AM
It took me a couple hours to figure this out. My searches on real dual monitors have turned up with nothing useful. Sorry. To be honest, that isn't a capability I'm in need of so I probably will not be putting much time into figuring it out right now. Good luck though. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

jocika
May 16th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Excellent, there is some Ghosting, but I've finally got an output on my Sony Vaio! I've got a good starting point, just need to tweak it until it's right. Thanks for the tip.

Jo

Can you tell me which tweaking exactly you applied? I have Sony Vaio with ATI Mobility Radeon x600 and cannot connect to TV.

jasquith
January 21st, 2011, 05:44 AM
I have Ubuntu 10.10 and I don't have this file.How do I enable the vga on my Toshiba Satellite?