PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] No Sound From Internal Speakers

zanknits
January 18th, 2009, 06:12 AM
Hi all!

I'm sorry to dredge this topic up, since I know it's been talked about before, but I've been searching Google for hours and I haven't had any luck yet.

I installed Ubuntu on my brand-new, fresh out of the box HP Pavilion dv4-1225dx laptop today. I ran Windows first to make sure everything worked (including the internal speakers), but I didn't partition my computer when I switched to Ubuntu - I just took Microsoft completely off.

Anyway, I can't get sound to play out of my internal speakers. My headphone jack works fine, though. I tried to follow the troubleshooting guide (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting) but I got lost at the "is your sound card supported?" part. I couldn't find my soundcard on the list, but then again I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Here's what the computer said my soundcard was when I did the lspci thing:

00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Unknown device 30fb
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
Memory at d2500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>

Then the troubleshoot guide started talking about manually installing the drivers, but I don't know how to find out what the driver is. I think my sound card has to be supported - after all, I do get sound out of the headphones - but I really am not very familiar enough with the inner workings of computers to know what's really going on.

(ps - the sound doesn't work for anything from the internal speakers - no startup sounds, no beeps, no music)

Thank you so much for helping me out! I know this is such a newbie problem, but I really do appreciate your time!

zanknits
January 18th, 2009, 07:41 PM
*bump*

linux_tech
January 18th, 2009, 08:09 PM
Please post output of:

cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec

aplay -l

zanknits
January 18th, 2009, 11:48 PM
For cat /proc/asound/card0/codec#* | grep Codec

Codec: IDT 92HD71B7X
Codec: Generic 11c1 ID 1040

And aplay -l

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
Subdevices: 0/1
Subdevice #0: subdevice #0
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]
Subdevices: 1/1

zanknits
January 20th, 2009, 04:40 AM
*bump*

flskier
January 22nd, 2009, 10:44 PM
*bump

mal2104
January 27th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Same laptop, same problem.

concerto
January 28th, 2009, 08:36 AM
This is a stupid question but did anyone report this problem to the
HP Linux forum? I looked but didn't see anything about this.

HP Resource Center Forums
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/home.do?admit=109447626+1233127655264+28353475

I'm installing Linux now on my HP DV4-1155se so it looks like i'm about to have the same problem. :(

zanknits
January 31st, 2009, 11:11 PM
Update:

I've upgraded to Intrepid, but I'm still not having any luck with getting sound from the internal speakers.

This is the report from aplay -l:

**** List of PLAYBACK Hardware Devices ****
card 0: SB [HDA ATI SB], device 0: STAC92xx Analog [STAC92xx Analog]
card 1: HDMI [HDA ATI HDMI], device 3: ATI HDMI [ATI HDMI]

And from lspci:

00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 30fb
Flags: bus master, slow devsel, latency 64, IRQ 16
Memory at d2500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel
01:05.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RS780 Azalia controller
Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc RS780 Azalia controller
Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 19
Memory at d2410000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Kernel driver in use: HDA Intel
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

Of course now that I've switched to Intrepid, every once in a while in order to get sound from my headphones I have to 'killall pulseaudio', then go into the sound preferences and switch everything to 'HDA ATI SB STAC92xx Analog'.

If anyone has any suggestions, I am desperate! I would even be willing to switch operating systems at this point if Debian or OpenSuse or something can just give me sound.

ryofire
February 4th, 2009, 04:01 AM
Hi all!

I'm sorry to dredge this topic up, since I know it's been talked about before, but I've been searching Google for hours and I haven't had any luck yet.

I installed Ubuntu on my brand-new, fresh out of the box HP Pavilion dv4-1225dx laptop today. I ran Windows first to make sure everything worked (including the internal speakers), but I didn't partition my computer when I switched to Ubuntu - I just took Microsoft completely off.

Anyway, I can't get sound to play out of my internal speakers. My headphone jack works fine, though. I tried to follow the troubleshooting guide (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SoundTroubleshooting) but I got lost at the "is your sound card supported?" part. I couldn't find my soundcard on the list, but then again I'm not sure what I'm looking for.

Here's what the computer said my soundcard was when I did the lspci thing:

Then the troubleshoot guide started talking about manually installing the drivers, but I don't know how to find out what the driver is. I think my sound card has to be supported - after all, I do get sound out of the headphones - but I really am not very familiar enough with the inner workings of computers to know what's really going on.

(ps - the sound doesn't work for anything from the internal speakers - no startup sounds, no beeps, no music)

Thank you so much for helping me out! I know this is such a newbie problem, but I really do appreciate your time!

Same issue same laptop etc etc. So bump. Ive tried about 20 potential solutions today and none of them worked.

ryofire
February 10th, 2009, 05:12 AM
http://yourenotabowler.blogspot.com/2009/01/sound-warz.html

solved. *yawn* thanks to the blog above.

add the line

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m4-1

to the file

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

Now if only that suspend fix was still working for me :(

ryofire
February 10th, 2009, 05:14 AM
http://yourenotabowler.blogspot.com/2009/01/sound-warz.html

solved. *yawn* thanks to the blog above.

add the line

options snd-hda-intel model=dell-m4-1

to the file

/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

Now if only that suspend fix was still working for me :(

garretwp
February 10th, 2009, 10:57 AM
Thank you very much. This has fixed the sound issues with the dv4-1225dx laptop!

- Garrett

mal2104
February 14th, 2009, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the help. Does anyone else notice that after doing this the sound out of the speakers isn't as good as inside of vista? I'm going to keep looking for a better solution. If you do fix that suspend bug too, post it

ryofire
February 24th, 2009, 02:16 AM
You could be right, but I don't use vista enough to notice. What I have noticed however is that the sound is unnoticeable at half volume, and seems quieter in Ubuntu even at full volume.

Considering that I spent 1/2 a week looking for a fix though. I'm happy.

dim4iksh
November 13th, 2010, 01:10 PM
same problem different laptop i have lg p1 jack laptop and my internal speakers doesn't work

squGEIm
October 10th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I had the sam problem... This worked for me:

1. go to terminal
2. do this:

sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf
3. add this to the end of the file:

options snd-hda-intel model=mbp3
4. Save and restart.

Hope it works.