PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] Acer Monitor goes blank during use

Rhemat
January 18th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Okay, just a few minutes ago I was working on a Quake 3 map in GTKRadiant 1.5, and also browsing in Firefox (4 different tabs open). All of a sudden, the screen goes black, and the words "Please Wait, Auto Config" pop-up. Unplugging the monitor, and reinserting the cable did not help. Trying another monitor did not help (could be, however, that the Acer monitor is a widescreen, the other was a full frame...). I hit a hot key that (hopefully) saved the progress on my map, and then shut down by hitting the power key. Has anyone else had this problem? Info on my machine:

Monitor - Acer AL1917w (running 1440x900 60Hz)
Video Card - MSI RX2400Pro (ATi HD2400 chipset with 256MB memory)

I do gaming on this machine (have played Quake 4 and Doom 3), but it never just turned off on them before. The monitor seems to be working now, so I don't know if it was a hardware issue (either the monitor or the video card) or if it was just some random bug in the code. I hope it won't happen again, but any advice on how to prevent it from happening again would be appreciated.
As always, thanks in advance for your help.:confused:

Rhemat
February 4th, 2009, 04:22 AM
Okay, it did it again about 10 hours ago. I was playing Half-Life, and I had some company. I simply paused it, and came back to it later to save and quit, but no matter what I did, the screen didn't come back.