PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Noob wireless security for dummies

Brigrat
January 18th, 2009, 02:30 AM
I am having issues understanding some of the wireless security encryptions and protocols. Can someone give me an "idiots" breakdown and how to get 8.1 to play games correctly.
I have 3 systems to get on line A. WinXP and Ubuntu 8.1 on dual boot Thinkpad T42. and my daughters Vio running Vista. Here set up allows WPA "personal", WPA2 "Personal" both with PSK and 802.1X. My dual boot has WPA with AES and TKIP. I do not understand or see the connection between PSK and AES/TKIP. Is there and update for 8.1 that I need to use the PSK? Better yet is there and IDIOTS guide to wireless security that would explain this covering all the platforms???? NOOB in trouble....

Mehall
January 18th, 2009, 02:55 AM
I am having issues understanding some of the wireless security encryptions and protocols. Can someone give me an "idiots" breakdown and how to get 8.1 to play games correctly.
I have 3 systems to get on line A. WinXP and Ubuntu 8.1 on dual boot Thinkpad T42. and my daughters Vio running Vista. Here set up allows WPA "personal", WPA2 "Personal" both with PSK and 802.1X. My dual boot has WPA with AES and TKIP. I do not understand or see the connection between PSK and AES/TKIP. Is there and update for 8.1 that I need to use the PSK? Better yet is there and IDIOTS guide to wireless security that would explain this covering all the platforms???? NOOB in trouble....

Firstly, it's 8.10 not 8.1 as the 10 stands for the 10th month, oct, which is when it was released. [=

and here's a WPA how-to: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiDocs/WPAHowTo