PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs help capturing from SA 8300HD

sebasbuntu
January 17th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Up until now I was capturing un-encrypted content from my SA 8300HD to my Mac using AVCVideoCap, which is part of the Apple's firewire SDK. A few days ago it stopped working, although the program still sees the DVR it doesn't capture from it. I re-installed Mac OS X but it's the same exact thing. I tried a second cable too just in case. It might be that Time Warner Cable pushed an update to the DVR to disable capturing, but I don't know that for sure.

Since I do most of my stuff on a PC I thought I would give Mythbuntu a chance. So far I couldn't even install it, I downloaded the 64 bit version and after I choose to install it from the boot menu, it reaches a point where it doesn't do anything. Now I'm burning an "alternate" version there to a CD-RW to try that, and if it doesn't work I'm going to try with the 32 bit versions.

Now, when hopefully I succeed in installing it, can anyone tell me what are the steps to set this up so I can capture ATSC streams via firewire? Keep in mind that I'm absolutely a beginner when it comes to Linux in general, so if anybody explains the procedure, please don't skip any steps.

Thanks,

Sebastian