PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Monitor goes into standby mode during video playback

rem
January 17th, 2009, 06:42 PM
Hello friends,

Since upgrading to Intrepid, even I have set the power management tool in "Preferences" never to blank the screen and even I have set in Mplayer and other video players (Totem, SMPlayer, Xine) to stop the screensaver during video playback, my monitor keeps going to sleep after a while ... Is this a known bug, is there anything I could do to stop this annoying behavior?

Thanks a lot!

utnubuuser
January 17th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Hello -- Some machines have sleep functions built into the BIOS; -- Might be adjustable.

rem
January 17th, 2009, 07:43 PM
Hello -- Some machines have sleep functions built into the BIOS; -- Might be adjustable.

This is happening only since upgraded to Intrepid had no troubles on the same PC under Breezy up to Hardy ... just to be sure I will check the BIOS.

Thank you.

mc4man
January 17th, 2009, 08:00 PM
There's some xorg entries someone posted that work very well, have to run so can't search out.

What you could also do is leave your power management setting at 'never' and then go to screensaver settings. Leave the screensaver unchecked but set the 'regard the computer as idle' to a time below when it's going to sleep. 5-10 min will do.

Power management doesn't kick in till the computer is considered idle even when set to never.
This way after 5-10 min the never will kick in before the bios mode has a chance to take effect.

rem
January 17th, 2009, 08:39 PM
ok, will try that and get back with the results. thank you and sorry, have to go watch a movie now :)

rem
January 17th, 2009, 10:38 PM
There's some xorg entries someone posted that work very well, have to run so can't search out.

What you could also do is leave your power management setting at 'never' and then go to screensaver settings. Leave the screensaver unchecked but set the 'regard the computer as idle' to a time below when it's going to sleep. 5-10 min will do.

Power management doesn't kick in till the computer is considered idle even when set to never.
This way after 5-10 min the never will kick in before the bios mode has a chance to take effect.

yep, working thanks a lot mc4man, owe you one... if you somehow will manage to find the xorg stuff i will be greatful. cheers!

rem
January 17th, 2009, 10:44 PM
P.S. How do you mark a post as solved? Thanks!

mc4man
January 17th, 2009, 10:52 PM
Here's the link, never used because I'd already set up the idle time/power management ect.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6482839#post6482839

post 7

The solved has been disabled for the moment.

rem
January 17th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Here's the link, never used because I'd already set up the idle time/power management ect.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=6482839#post6482839

post 7

The solved has been disabled for the moment.

Thanks!!