PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] The password is too short

gm__
January 17th, 2009, 12:30 PM
This is the stupidest thing in the world.

The password is too short. So it wont let you to change it.

How do you want an OS to be popular when you cant even do what you want with it?

The writers of Ubuntu have to wake up a little and come down to earth and
stop annoying people with their stupid ideas!

What if i dont want a password at all? Its nobody's business but mine.

HermanAB
January 17th, 2009, 07:27 PM
Gampaw!? That yoooooouuu!???

The Cog
January 17th, 2009, 07:40 PM
Root can set shorter passwords, like this:

sudo passwd username
but think carefully before doing so. Be very, very wary of installing an SSH server if you have very short passwords. There are lots of brute-force password guessing bots out there.

gm__
January 17th, 2009, 09:30 PM
Thank you very much!

No its not Gampaw. :)

lensman3
January 18th, 2009, 05:24 AM
The passwd program will complain if the password is too short, but just type the short password again and it will accept the short password.

(Which I think is a very good feature. It tells you that you are being stupid, but lets you go ahead!!!)

superposition
April 25th, 2009, 05:32 PM
The passwd program will complain if the password is too short, but just type the short password again and it will accept the short password.

(Which I think is a very good feature. It tells you that you are being stupid, but lets you go ahead!!!)

I agree, however you cannot go ahead if you want to, at least not in 9.04. I had to follow The Cog's instructions to make it work, and as he said be mindful of what the machine you are doing this to will be doing.

lensman3
April 26th, 2009, 01:58 AM
If you are using passwd to change the password at a terminal prompt, then when it tells you "the password is too short". JUST TYPE THE SHORT PASSWORD IN AGAIN. And it will accept the shorter password.

(I consider this behavior a very good feature).

etu
January 23rd, 2010, 11:54 AM
"If you are using passwd to change the password at a terminal prompt, then when it tells you "the password is too short". JUST TYPE THE SHORT PASSWORD IN AGAIN. And it will accept the shorter password."

No it does not. Just tried in 9.10.

JackRock
January 23rd, 2010, 01:44 PM
No it does not. Just tried in 9.10.

Might be a change in 9.10. Karmic wasn't out yet as of the post prior to yours.

sera75
May 9th, 2010, 08:04 AM

This is really the behaviour I would expect too. But they changed it (at least) for 10.04:mad:

Linkz57
December 20th, 2010, 06:13 AM
Root can set shorter passwords, like this:

but think carefully before doing so. Be very, very wary of installing an SSH server if you have very short passwords. There are lots of brute-force password guessing bots out there.

sudo passwd username
I have been looking for this string of code on and off for a year or more. Thank you.

HermanAB
December 20th, 2010, 10:02 AM
OK, now please tell us your IP address so we can add it to our mail server block lists, because pretty soon, your machine will compromised and spouting spam...

theasprint
December 20th, 2010, 10:27 AM
AWW, I had times Ubuntu saying that

The password is too simple

and repeatedly entering the password again does not help.

* My ubuntu is 10.04 version

Linkz57
December 20th, 2010, 05:21 PM
OK, now please tell us your IP address so we can add it to our mail server block lists, because pretty soon, your machine will compromised and spouting spam...

Come on, bro, what are the odds ofFREE OTC PILLS SOLVE ALL YOUR PROBLEMS I HAD FRIEND HE TRY IT SAYS ITS GREAT CLICK HERE NOW FOR GREAT JUSTICE (http://linkz57.deviantart.com)

k66473
August 17th, 2011, 01:56 PM
"sudo passwd" how simple could it be. thanks.

bodhi.zazen
August 17th, 2011, 05:43 PM
"sudo passwd" how simple could it be. thanks.

That command does NOT set the user password, it sets a root password, with is probably not what you want.

Should be

sudo passwd user_name

Also you should know that changing the password with the command line will break ecryptfs (encrypted home), use the graphical tools.