PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu Theme concept

Argama
January 17th, 2009, 11:47 AM
Hi,
I'm hoping im posting this thread in the right forum section. :)
I've been working on a sort of concept I would like to realise for Ubuntu. Dont realy know if I will be able to change so much in the current Ubuntu layout but still I want the opinion of you guys :)

(sorry for the bad english)

http://img181.imageshack.us/my.php?image=bsamubuntumetmediahc5.jpg

Sand & Mercury
January 17th, 2009, 12:09 PM
This mockup looks FANTASTIC. I particularly like the ideas of how the tabs and everything are integrated more into the window borders, which I've thought for a long time are wasting a lot of space right now. The volume controls look fantastic and I love how the notifications integrate with the panel. The only thing I don't like is the idea of docks, I'm really not a fan of all the wasted screen real-estate they bring with them.

The biggest problem though is that I don't think the current capabilities of GTK and Metacity make this practically feasible. It's too bad too, because you have a lot of good ideas here. You should see if perhaps you could forward the ideas down to Gnome developers and see if maybe you can get an effort started in pushing ideas like this to be included in Gnome 3.

Neon Lights
January 18th, 2009, 02:26 AM
bahh. the image is not loading for me. :[ perhaps reupload to tinypic or somewhere else?

Frak
January 18th, 2009, 02:30 AM
Awww... won't load :(

linbai
January 18th, 2009, 02:48 AM
image won't load for me either

smartboyathome
January 18th, 2009, 02:49 AM
Won't load here either. How about just attach it to your post? :)

Frak
January 18th, 2009, 07:58 AM
Very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very cool. :D

Montblanc_Kupo
January 18th, 2009, 08:05 AM
I like the concept...

The things that bug Me:

The ubuntu menu logo in the bubble doesn't seem to fit the theme of the theme... too shiny and bubbly for the subtle theme you have going.

The white window inside is a bit ... stark... maybe toning it down to a tan just a tad to match the theme might be less distracting or abrupt.

The close / minimize / maximize icons are... boring.

Things I like:

Very clean, easy to see what's going on quickly.

I LOVE the little icon at the top of the window that shows what app it is. Slick.. it would be awesome if you could move it to any corner.

The little drop down on the window chooser tabs at the top is cool too. :)

What I'd like to see:

A little more contrast on the sliders so you can see where they are more easily... as well as maybe on the window edges themselves.

A wicked cool icon set to go with it. ;)

Good work.

gigatwo
January 18th, 2009, 09:01 PM
Awesome. If only it were a real theme....

xakh
January 19th, 2009, 12:25 AM
Looks Amazing. I really, really hope someone can code it.

Neon Lights
January 19th, 2009, 01:56 AM
Awesome. GTK can't do this yet. But still awesome. ;P

I really love how the application icon pops out, I think that's really cool. :D
And the notification also looks good. :]

it's brilliant. :]

http://i39.tinypic.com/2csavdd.jpg <-- in case the link goes down again.

Merk42
January 19th, 2009, 03:54 AM
Well now that I can finally see it, I can say what others have said, and what is usually said in a case like this:

Looks great, not possible.

blackened
January 19th, 2009, 07:00 AM
Well now that I can finally see it, I can say what others have said, and what is usually said in a case like this:

Looks great, not possible.

Of course it's possible, just not with the framework that's in place right now. And yes, I know that's what you meant. Given the glacial (static some would say) rate at which the UI side of Gnome evolves I'd say we're likely to see something like this just in time for the Eloi to start using it.

That's not meant as a bash to the Gnome devs, just an acceptance of the way things are.

Montblanc_Kupo
January 19th, 2009, 09:21 PM
Psh. Anything is possible. If it doesn't work in Gnome, do it with something else. Linux is pretty open... if things like compiz fusion can take over the job of displaying the UI to the screen it or something like it could do this. I've seen more extreme things done with skins for mac and windows... I see no reason why linux can't accomplish this.

Nothing is impossible.

the8thstar
January 19th, 2009, 09:34 PM
It's time to go beyond Gnome and KDE...

JohnyN
January 19th, 2009, 09:57 PM
Oh, I want this theme to GNOME! Would it be possible? I think you should send this mockup to Mark Shuttleworth. This mockup is really GUI revolution.

Bölvağur
January 19th, 2009, 10:09 PM
For me it looks like too big leap for it to happen. Things change bit by bit. You have to make small steps.. but you can make them very frequent.

This is more than just.. well it is way too many things mixed together to make sense building it exactly as it is in the mockup. You would even have to program the software specially for being part of this setup.

This is NOT A THEME, it is wayyyy beyond themes.

But this is probably the slickest looking mockup I've seen in a long time.

uljoe
January 19th, 2009, 11:51 PM
I really like it, except for the bubble and the yellow color. Its really nice and sleek but I would like to see the title bar a bit smaller to give it an even sleeker look. This is the sleekest mockup I've seen in a long time.

alex.rayu
January 19th, 2009, 11:56 PM
It's cool, but IMHO, making any dark theme default is a strong blow on the system.

smartboyathome
January 20th, 2009, 06:49 AM
Oh, I want this theme to GNOME! Would it be possible? I think you should send this mockup to Mark Shuttleworth. This mockup is really GUI revolution.

No, not at the current time. But if you look far enough into the future, anything is possible. Not even GNOME 3 will support this.

Giant Speck
January 20th, 2009, 08:30 AM
It's nice, don't get me wrong.

However, it is far too drastic a change for it to be implemented within the next few releases.

SushiR
January 20th, 2009, 09:19 AM
It looks GREAT! Hope my desktop will look like this one day...

Merk42
January 21st, 2009, 02:51 AM
No, not at the current time. But if you look far enough into the future, anything is possible. Not even GNOME 3 will support this.

Yes, this is exactly what i meant.

Of course by the time it is possible, in like GNOME 5 in 2020, by then we'll have a different idea of what a desktop should be.

oedipuss
January 21st, 2009, 08:29 AM
What is missing exactly ?

Couldn't the window decorator "steal" widgets from its window, the way mac-style global-menu panel applet does with the menubar?

I'm just curious

Argama
January 21st, 2009, 02:13 PM
I uploaded the picture to Deviant Art hope it loads beter there :)

http://carving-a-giant.deviantart.com/art/Ubuntu-Concept-Argama-large-110207686

http://fc43.deviantart.com/fs40/f/2009/021/4/d/Ubuntu_Concept_Argama_large_by_Carving_a_Giant.jpg

Argama
January 21st, 2009, 02:14 PM
Ah, now I see Neon Lights already relinked it, thanks :)