PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dum Hillbilly gets Wireless to Work

dixiedownunder
January 17th, 2009, 11:45 AM
The short answer is to go spend $40 or $50 on a device that automatically works with Ubuntu. If you can't get it to work, return it promptly, say it didn't work, then try another manufacturer. Repeat until you find a winner. I ended up with a D-Link wireless USB, model DWA-110.

I spent about a week of my life getting wireless to work. I'm definitely not the brightest bulb in the pack when it comes to Linux, but I was determined to make it work. I really liked Ubuntu, but what good is a laptop without wireless?

I had an older laptop with a 3 year old wireless card with a Broadcom chipset. Some people had made it work and they posted on the forums. It was pretty complex and plenty of steps to read or perform incorrectly. I tried this for about 4 or 5 days.

After 5 days of trying with the old wireless card on my fresh v8.10 install, I went and bought a new $40 wireless card. It didn't work either, or rather, I couldn't get it to work, so I returned it and got a USB wireless device. I made sure to try different manufacturers each time. I started with Belkin, then Netgear, and D-Link finally worked! All you have to say when you return it is that it doesn't work on your computer. You won't get too much hassle for an exchange anyway.

I didn't even need to load a driver to use the D-Link! Don't give up if you are having trouble. My friend couldn't get wireless to work with Hardy Heron for nearly a year and after I figured it out, I showed him what to do. His wife is so happy not to have a wire running through the living room anymore.