PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 8.04.1 Full Install Hangs

Reliable
January 17th, 2009, 07:15 AM
When installing 8.04.1 on a machine with 512 MB RAM, I get to the Heron wallpaper screen, but the "Install" dialog never opens. CD drive just keeps spinning at high speed, and mouse cursor can be moved, but machine appears to be "trying" to progress. According to the System Requirements, 512 MB should be more than adequate for a full install, assuming video is not taking up a large portion of it, correct? Is there a way to start the standard Desktop install with a lower RAM requirement? If I use the Alternate or Mini CD instead, what applications/packages would be missing compared to a full Desktop install?

73ckn797
January 17th, 2009, 07:29 AM
When installing 8.04.1 on a machine with 512 MB RAM, I get to the Heron wallpaper screen, but the "Install" dialog never opens. CD drive just keeps spinning at high speed, and mouse cursor can be moved, but machine appears to be "trying" to progress. According to the System Requirements, 512 MB should be more than adequate for a full install, assuming video is not taking up a large portion of it, correct? Is there a way to start the standard Desktop install with a lower RAM requirement? If I use the Alternate or Mini CD instead, what applications/packages would be missing compared to a full Desktop install?

Is the CD burn good? Have you performed a "md5sum" check on the downloaded iso file and then performed the self test on the live CD?

Welcome to Ubuntu from another Atlanta area user, Newnan, Ga.

Reliable
January 17th, 2009, 07:57 AM
Thanks, 73ckn797. Although I was writing in the first person, it's actually someone else I'm trying to help with this. I had burned two CDs from the same downloaded Heron file, and the copy I used passes the self test and installs 8.04.1 flawlessly on my machine, which has more RAM than the other one. I'll have the other person run his copy through the self test; that's a good idea, but based on my install, it certainly looks as if it's another cause, doesn't it? His drive also reads other CDs accurately, so that's why I suspected RAM issues.

73ckn797
January 17th, 2009, 08:01 AM
Thanks, 73ckn797. Although I was writing in the first person, it's actually someone else I'm trying to help with this. I had burned two CDs from the same downloaded Heron file, and the copy I used passes the self test and installs 8.04.1 flawlessly on my machine, which has more RAM than the other one. I'll have the other person run his copy through the self test; that's a good idea, but based on my install, it certainly looks as if it's another cause, doesn't it? His drive also reads other CDs accurately, so that's why I suspected RAM issues.

The CD check may be where you could find an issue. Speculation, of course, on my part.
I have had CD's work fine on one drive but not on others. Not so much experienced lately but I have had that issue in the past. Yhat is why I bring it up. The computer you are trying to install to may not be compatible for some reason.

newbee70
January 17th, 2009, 08:11 AM

Not necessarily, I burned my copy on one desktop, and my other desktops had problems reading from the disk. But "it installs like gold on the drive that burned it".

Reliable
January 19th, 2009, 05:10 AM
OK, let's assume my friend gets the installation working with the Mini CD. I don't think he could use the Alternate, because he has no Internet connection. What would I need to burn to CD for him so that he could then install all the packages needed to achieve a "default" complete 8.10 desktop installation? To clarify, how would I get apps (Open Office or Braseros, for example) onto a CD for him, and how could he get them onto the base 8.10 install, if he can't use Synaptic?

Reliable
January 19th, 2009, 05:11 AM
And yes, I know I started out talking about 8.04.1, but if we can get a mini CD to install, perhaps 8.10 would now work.

73ckn797
January 20th, 2009, 01:08 PM
And yes, I know I started out talking about 8.04.1, but if we can get a mini CD to install, perhaps 8.10 would now work.

Start here:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/