PDA

View Full Version : HDHomerun Experiences

jose_ramirez
January 15th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Hi everyone,

For the last few days I have been researching on how to create a simple but nice Home Media Center. I ended installing Mythbuntu on one Ubuntu 8.04 desktop I currently have and will like to get some feedback about using Mythbuntu with HDHomerun. Also I have some basic questions taking into consideration I'm very new to this media center "world".

Currently I have the basic cable programming from DirectTV (no HD, yet). It's just as simple as connecting the coax cable to the HDHomerun and then connecting the HDHomerun to my network? If I have several PC's at home running Mythbuntu frontend, will each one be able to watch different channels simultaneously?

How would be the cables setup if at the same time I will like to continue watching TV on my Sony Bravia LCD? Right now the coax cable goes directly to my directtv receiver and I connect the receiver to my TV via regular rca cables.

Finally, will I be able to watch/record at the same time?

All comments and suggestions are really appreciated.

Regards,

Jose

murchball
January 15th, 2009, 07:42 PM
I don't have any experience with the HDHomeRun on satellite, but mine work great for capturing HD with my antenna or Clear QAM over cable. From what I've read, satellite doesn't transmit clear QAM, so the HDHomeRun doesn't sound like the right solution unless you're planning on using an antenna. The only option for recording HD from satellite is analog component capture with the Hauppauge HD-PVR. Support for this is available in the development builds, but it's not for beginners yet.