PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Really Strange update

NJ0E
January 15th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I just started an update. My notification advised that I had over 700 files for update. Started the update process and got about 1/2 of them. Went ahead and completed the update process onteh first 1/2 of the files. After restarting the computer my GRUB is ok. However my Ubuntu Cylon bar never stops going back and forth. My login in screen now is the debian login screen. my login credentials still work. I still have over 350 files to update. Do I dare to continue or what. I don't want debian -- I like (ed) my Ubuntu. What can I do to go back to before the updates?

Thanks.

Ubuntu 8.04
Dell Insp 5150

kstan_79
January 15th, 2009, 02:43 AM
You still stay at Ubuntu, the difference may be the software change your login screen/or wallpaper. It doesn't matter.

After update all patches, you can change back your login screen/wallpaper manually if it not come back to normal.

NJ0E
January 15th, 2009, 02:57 AM
Ok, that I can understand -- but now I have another issue. I had a wireless setup all configured thru wicd (started with ndiswrapper). Now it's toast. Wicd doesnt see andy of the wireless signals in the area. i checked they are all still broadcasting. I am trying to go back and find the instructions I used to set up ndis wrapper adn wicd -- I already checked and the dirver from windows is still active for my wireless adapter. Not feeling the love on this update!!!

mcduck
January 15th, 2009, 09:45 AM
Have you recently added any new software sources? As that sounds exactly what you'd get if you added some Debian repository..

(No Ubuntu update would change your loading screens into Debian ones, and 700+ packages sounds a lot like "updating" your whole system to some other release.)

NJ0E
January 15th, 2009, 03:15 PM
I have been trying to get a video editor to wrok. Tried Kino, Avideux, Cinelerra and men. Will be wiping/upgrading to 8.1 this weekend. Thanks for the help.

Joe