PDA

View Full Version : Update made odd things happen

LordVeovis
January 14th, 2009, 07:02 AM
Ok, I was posting here and then decided to reboot because I updated. After grub my PC starts yelling at me (literally beeping) and spits out an error that it can't load a file in /etc

After reboot, beeping didnt happen and I didnt get that error, instead black screen and nothing.

Reboot again and beeping and error return along with odd messages, so I ctr-alt-del and toss in my alpha 2 CD. To my sorrow I realise it is the alternate and I can't live boot. Reboot and it boots w/o any errors.

Odd...
EDIT: Also odd that I have an encrypted system (all but boot obviously) why would it be looking in /etc without having prompted me for my key yet?

LordVeovis
January 14th, 2009, 07:10 AM
After log into system I was told that it had recovered from an error and I tried to update (by clicking the graphical update in the top right) and I got a crash error about opera, which I hadn't opened yet (posting on laptop atm) and it din't start the update.

BwackNinja
January 14th, 2009, 07:14 AM
might this error have been "udevd [901] cannot open /etc/udev/rules.d: no such file or directory?"

this isn't bugging me much, but its stopping me from getting usplash.

LordVeovis
January 14th, 2009, 07:18 AM
might this error have been "udevd [901] cannot open /etc/udev/rules.d: no such file or directory?"

Yes. But it was beeping at me and it sat with that error for about 15-20 seconds then I decided enough beeping and ctrl-alt-del.

The "weird messages" was something about sdb (not drive errors - and /boot isn't on sdb) and writing to cache so I decided i should reboot again (this was beeping at me again - had the /etc/udev/rules.d error too, before the sdb stuff)

autocrosser
January 14th, 2009, 07:49 AM

The "noise" is something I've heard quite a bit over the last couple of releases--it is related to the udevd error & causes a conflict with usplash---which sometimes results in system warnings during boot.....It's worse than about this time in Intrepid--then it would only do it if you liked the text with your usplash (splash instead of quiet splash)--to stop the problem---edit your menu.lst for the current kernel & remove the "quiet splash"--you'll only get the B&W text--but no warnings......

LordVeovis
January 14th, 2009, 08:09 AM
I knew I could get rid of splash and quiet for text only, but I prefer usplash. I just didnt know this was a usplash problem. Thanks!

autocrosser
January 14th, 2009, 08:15 AM
I've had problems with usplash from Edgy onwards--That's why I'd like to see Ubuntu change to Plymouth--and Plymouth looks MUCH better....;)

LordVeovis
January 14th, 2009, 08:18 AM
I've had problems with usplash from Edgy onwards--That's why I'd like to see Ubuntu change to Plymouth--and Plymouth looks MUCH better....;)

It just doesn't support many video cards at the moment. But I can't wait!!

tawmas
January 14th, 2009, 08:16 PM
I have the same. I saw an update coming in that I hoped would solve the problem, but it didn't (it actually made it worse, now my PC just beeps once and hangs if started with usplash enabled).

Is there already a bug for this? I can't seem to find one.

LordVeovis
January 14th, 2009, 11:23 PM
I have the same. I saw an update coming in that I hoped would solve the problem, but it didn't (it actually made it worse, now my PC just beeps once and hangs if started with usplash enabled).

Is there already a bug for this? I can't seem to find one.

I did not start one. I need to restart to see if it will still give me issues. Last time I restarted I did not get an error.

autocrosser
January 15th, 2009, 03:56 AM
I have a old bug report at: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/usplash/+bug/235662

If you read thru it, you'll find most of the issues you have been having......

Slug71
January 15th, 2009, 04:05 AM

Yep, i cant wait! :)

tawmas
January 15th, 2009, 08:57 AM
After another batch of updates, my usplash is back, but I still see the message about /etc/udev/rules.d not being found.

I guess this comes from something in the initramfs, I will try and rebuild it this evening when I'm back from work and see if it clears (udev rules where moved from /etc/udev/rules.d to /var/lib/udev/rules.d, so complaining that the former is missing is a bug).