PDA

View Full Version : cable TV question

gregcoit
January 14th, 2009, 03:35 AM
Hello,

I'm starting to gather information for my first install of mythtv. I have Cable TV from SuddenLink and I want to replace the set-top box (the DVR in the set-top box sucks and SuddenLink doesn't want to replace it and it costs something like $20 per month).

So, I called them to find out what changes the switch next month to digital TV would cause. They said there would be no change for us and our TV's would work fine even without set-top boxes.

I'm hoping this means that if I find a Happauge PVR-500 and setup my mythbuntu now, it will still work after the switch over.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Greg C

tgm4883
January 14th, 2009, 05:09 AM
Hello,

I'm starting to gather information for my first install of mythtv. I have Cable TV from SuddenLink and I want to replace the set-top box (the DVR in the set-top box sucks and SuddenLink doesn't want to replace it and it costs something like $20 per month).

So, I called them to find out what changes the switch next month to digital TV would cause. They said there would be no change for us and our TV's would work fine even without set-top boxes.

I'm hoping this means that if I find a Happauge PVR-500 and setup my mythbuntu now, it will still work after the switch over.

Any opinions?

Thanks!

Greg C

Common misunderstanding. The digital changeover in the US in Feb is only for broadcast (OTA).

gregcoit
January 14th, 2009, 05:51 AM
Common misunderstanding. The digital changeover in the US in Feb is only for broadcast (OTA).

Excellent - thanks!

Greg