PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] How do I contact another PC on my wireless network?

tsudrummer24
January 13th, 2009, 02:48 AM
Recently, I entered my Belkin router's config pages and saw that there was a computer named "wendystoy" as a DHCP client which I have never seen before. The point of this thread is to find out how to prove that this computer exists. I have tried pinging her IP, but all packets failed to return.

I am administering a home network, unsecured (gasp) for ease of use. When I open up Places -> Network, the computer does not show up. This is probably because he/she does not share files, no? How else could I find info on the computer?

rbc
January 14th, 2009, 04:27 AM
I don't have a Belkin router and don't know much about routers, but the one I do have remembers what computers have, at any time, connected to it, unless I "refresh" the list, so this is just pure conjecture, but my guess is that that computer, at some point, connected to your router. Wendystoy is not going to show up under Places/Network unless it is currently connected.

tsudrummer24
January 14th, 2009, 12:53 PM
makes sense, but if she were to connect to my network, would I see her PC is no files were shared?

superprash2003
January 14th, 2009, 04:44 PM
no you wouldnt.. she probably would be having a good firewall and would have disabled ICMP requests therefore your pinging fails.. simple solution and the most important solution is to secure your wifi router with a password..

tsudrummer24
January 15th, 2009, 11:14 PM
i did secure it, thank you though.