PDA

View Full Version : [other] no trash bin in lxde environment

mabtifro2
January 13th, 2009, 01:51 AM
ive been using lxde environment for quite some time now but i've always been a little annoyed with the fact that there is no trash bin to be found. it appears that when you delete a file, it's gone for good, no second chances. does anyone know if there is a way to add a trash bin to lxde?

adamlau
January 13th, 2009, 06:02 AM
Is this an Ubuntu Minimal + LXDE, or Ubuntu + LXDE install? You can typically right click on a panel to bring up a list of supported applets, of which the trash bin ought to be one.

mabtifro2
January 15th, 2009, 12:49 PM
it's ubuntu + lxde install, and unfortunately, the trash bin is not an option on the list of icons or apps when i right click the panel in the lxde environment

snowpine
January 15th, 2009, 02:25 PM
Have you tried using a different file manager (such as thunar) in place of pcmanfm?

mabtifro2
January 16th, 2009, 02:57 AM
no, i haven't tried changing file managers.

so is this an issue of file managers?

adamlau
January 16th, 2009, 07:31 AM
What is the output of:

ls -aFC ~/.local/share/Trash/files

Files are only gone for good (outside of forensic and recovery applications and techniques) if you clicked and held down Shift before clicking Delete.

kerry_s
January 16th, 2009, 07:37 AM
pcmanfm doesn't have trash support.

adamlau
January 16th, 2009, 08:00 AM
I believe mabizeid may be referring to the deletion of files on the desktop and the addition of a trash applet on a panel.

kerry_s
January 16th, 2009, 08:03 AM
maybe try this->
http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=477174

adamlau
January 16th, 2009, 08:17 AM
Since LXDE maps application launchers to .desktop files, perhaps you could hack one out to point to the Trash folder.

kerry_s
January 16th, 2009, 09:10 AM
i've always hated the trash, makes you delete stuff twice.
the trash is just a folder/directory that stuff gets moved to, a little cut & paste you can do the same thing, just don't delete it if you think you might want it or move it and wait till your sure you don't want it.
we have a saying around here "make a backup first!".

adamlau
January 16th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Exactly why I use an rm -rf %F Thunar UCA instead of Shift+Delete, no need for an extra, wasteful step.

mabtifro2
January 19th, 2009, 11:16 PM
What is the output of:

ls -aFC ~/.local/share/Trash/files

Files are only gone for good (outside of forensic and recovery applications and techniques) if you clicked and held down Shift before clicking Delete.

my output is;

./ ../

thats it

amjjawad
September 7th, 2011, 10:35 PM
For those who will search and find this thread, please be informed that PCManFM Latest Version is "PCManFM 0.9.9" and it's the default FM in Lubuntu 11.04 and it has Trash.