PDA

View Full Version : Icon size (Ubuntu)

mr.propre
January 12th, 2009, 01:23 PM
Hi,

I'm working on some icons and planning to release them for Windows, OS X and Linux (ubuntu) but I can't find the right size(s) for Linux icons. Can somebody provide them for me.

Thanks

Sand & Mercury
January 12th, 2009, 03:14 PM
You should use an existing icon set for reference; for example the gnome-colours sets use 8x8, 16x16, 22x22, 24x24, 32x32, 48x48, and a 'scalable' set which are usually around 128x128.

jesterthejedi
January 12th, 2009, 03:27 PM
The scalable set is 128x128, and can be either svg or png format.

The fixed are usually 16, 22, 24, 32,48, 64, 96 size, and are mostly png.

The advantage of png over svg is the compression means the set will be smaller and faster.

smartboyathome
January 13th, 2009, 12:53 AM
The scalable set is 128x128, and can be either svg or png format.

The fixed are usually 16, 22, 24, 32,48, 64, 96 size, and are mostly png.

The advantage of png over svg is the compression means the set will be smaller and faster.

Incorrect. While the png icons will definately be faster, they are not smaller. In fact, in many situations, I find SVG smaller than PNG for the same sized icon (PNG is rendered from SVG).

jesterthejedi
January 19th, 2009, 01:44 AM
Well I tried to test your theory on icon sizes. Here I have paired the native SVG with four PNG icons of varying size. As a collection the four PNG icons are still smaller.

smartboyathome
January 19th, 2009, 07:05 AM
Well I tried to test your theory on icon sizes. Here I have paired the native SVG with four PNG icons of varying size. As a collection the four PNG icons are still smaller.

Ah, it depends on the image. I create images which are wallpaper sized, and they take up much more space than their SVG counterpart.

Also, it depends on how complex the image is. If it uses gradients and/or blur, the PNG will be larger. Yours uses quite few colors, so it will be smaller.

jesterthejedi
January 26th, 2009, 08:09 AM
Ok I see your point, but here we are talking about icons. I have showed you how icons are smaller when compressed than a native SVG format. If this topic was about wallpapers then I would examine your results. You are free to make a test and post it.

MadsRH
January 26th, 2009, 10:44 AM
Hi,

I'm working on some icons and planning to release them for Windows, OS X and Linux (ubuntu) but I can't find the right size(s) for Linux icons. Can somebody provide them for me.

Thanks

Looks like there's a lot of good stuff on your Deviant account. Looking forward to the result :-)