PDA

View Full Version : Backup / Restore..

davecurtains
January 12th, 2009, 11:56 AM
Hi all,

I looked on Wiki's, google etc but could not find this info..

I'm migrating to a new Backend, and was testing my a restore to a new system. It seemed to work, and I then dropped the mythconverg database.

Whats now the best way to create a new empty mythconverg database so I'm ready for my _real_ backup/restore in a few days time. I can't seem to find this info anywhere :-(

Thanks all!
Steve

klc5555
January 12th, 2009, 04:47 PM
Hi all,

I looked on Wiki's, google etc but could not find this info..

I'm migrating to a new Backend, and was testing my a restore to a new system. It seemed to work, and I then dropped the mythconverg database.

Whats now the best way to create a new empty mythconverg database so I'm ready for my _real_ backup/restore in a few days time. I can't seem to find this info anywhere :-(

Thanks all!
Steve

From the user manual at the Mythtv wiki; page on "Periodic Maintenance", "Back up Your Database" (a page which has all sorts of useful stuff):
http://mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/User_Manual:Periodic_Maintenance

To restore: (assuming that you've dropped the database)

$ mysql -u root
mysql>create database mythconverg;
mysql>exit
$ mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg < mythtv_backup.sql

Note when you get to the database restore stage, that there is no space between -p and your actual MySQL password (which won't be "mythtv") That alone could save an hour of frustration!

Cheers! :)

davecurtains
January 15th, 2009, 05:33 PM
What I was actually looking to do was bring mythtv back to a completely empty, freshly installed database. So I guess I'm looking for the mythconverg.sql file.

I'll have a rummage and see what I can find in the mythbuntu file system on the CD as it must be on there somewhere. Then I'm going to do a partial restore of recorded programs only.

klc5555
January 15th, 2009, 06:22 PM
What I was actually looking to do was bring mythtv back to a completely empty, freshly installed database. So I guess I'm looking for the mythconverg.sql file.

I'll have a rummage and see what I can find in the mythbuntu file system on the CD as it must be on there somewhere. Then I'm going to do a partial restore of recorded programs only.

Eh? Guess I don't understand.

The two commands

$ mysql -u root
mysql> create database mythconverg;

give you a new, completely empty mythconverg database. You can just exit the MySQL prompt from there.