PDA

View Full Version : Difference between new and reset/clear icon

graabein
January 12th, 2009, 10:17 AM
Hi, I'm working on an application where I'd really like to use different icons for new (create new document) and clear/reset (empty all input fields). Currently I'm using the new document icon for both. Any suggestions would be most welcome!

smartboyathome
January 13th, 2009, 01:02 AM
How about an asterisk/a star at the top right of the icon you posted for new, and an x at the bottom right for clear. :)

kimberly2380
January 14th, 2009, 11:37 AM
hi graabein, i agree with him("smartboyathome").........

alex.rayu
January 14th, 2009, 01:15 PM
You can use my icon for it:

http://www.strider.org.ua/repository/icn-clear.png

days_of_ruin
January 14th, 2009, 11:54 PM
CompizConfig Settings Manager uses a button with a broom icon on it.

alex.rayu
January 15th, 2009, 11:42 AM
Yeah broom is good. My icon will not look good on a button.

graabein
January 17th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the ideas. It's a small icon about 16x16 pixels I think so I have a hard time fitting a star in the upper corner and a cross in the lower right, but I'll give it a try. Maybe I can just put it in the center of the document. I also like the suggestion of a broom.

I'll see what I can come up with next week and post the results! Thanks guys!

Btw, nice icon alex.rayu but it's too big for my need.

jorgecs10
January 19th, 2009, 07:20 AM
It is a gtk app? what about GTK_STOCK_CLEAR (http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stable/gtk-Stock-Items.html#GTK-STOCK-CLEAR--CAPS)?

graabein
January 21st, 2009, 12:37 PM
No sorry it's for work on Windows XP.

I decided to go for the corresponding clear icon on Windows which I discovered is a similar icon as GTK_STOCK_CLEAR. I kept the new icon from the original post.

At least now the users can see different icons for the two different operations.

alex.rayu
January 21st, 2009, 10:08 PM
I still have doubts this clear icon will look well if sized to 16x16. Like a delete cross, or a flash - circle with rays coming out of it. Or a rubber, like somebody proposed.

graabein
January 28th, 2009, 09:41 AM
That is the final icon you see there. 16x16 pixels on blue background. I couldn't use a rubber icon because that has another meaning in the application already. :)