PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Update killed sound and network, but only in -386 version not in -generic

susanw
January 10th, 2009, 06:01 PM
I updated, installing all the updates given by Update manager a few days ago, was then asked to restart my system which I did. I now find wireless network doesn't work and neither does the sound.

What I don't understand is that when I choose a different option in the Grub menu - 'Ubuntu 8.04 kernel 2.6.24-23-generic' instead of '....-386' it all works. Can anyone tell the the difference please? I am assuming that the Grub menu, which now has about 10 different Ubuntu choices available, allows boot from many different versions of 8.04, from different updates I have done?

When I run the -386 version the network manager tool says it's state is unconnected, which it isn't in -generic version. This thus seems a simple? thing to change but I don't know how. Also sound (I'm running Alsa) still has unknown problems.

I would like a way to 'undo' this update and wonder if dpkg could help in this case but don't know where to start. Also I don't know what effect changing one version would do to the other version and don't want to kill the one working version I have!

Thank you very much for reading.