PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10 + Synce + Windows Mobile 6.1

kaefert66014235
January 8th, 2009, 04:08 PM
I'm playing around with synce and I managed to get everything to work, but synchronizing.

Here's what I did: add
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/synce/ubuntu intrepid main to your sources.list

Install "synce-hal" version "0.2-0ubuntu0~ppa4+interpid" from the added repository. It has a lot of requirements, and if you got "odccm" or "synce-serial" installed, you need to remove them before installing "synce-hal".

For a having a icon in your taskbar, install "synce-kpm" version "0.12-0ubuntu0~ppa1+interpid". Its much more stable than the the alternative "synce-trayicon" version "0.12-0ubuntu0~ppa6+interpid"

For accessing the device in nautilus by opening the link "synce:///" install the package "synce-gvfs" version "0.1-1.0.2-0ubuntu0~ppa1". DON'T use "synce-gnomevfs" version "0.11.1-1". It doesn't work anymore and has been replaced by "synce-gvfs".

The last 3 sentences a bit shorter:

sudo apt-get install synce-hal synce-kpm synce-gvfs
This was everything I had to do to make it work. To view the icon in your taskbar, just run the command synce-kpm.

If anyone knows how to get synchronizing to work in Linux with Windows Mobile 6.1 PLEASE TELL ME SO!

Here is what i tried yet for getting synchronizing to work:
The website http://www.synce.org/moin/SynceWithUbuntu tells us to install all of the following:

sudo apt-get install multisync-tools opensync-plugin-evolution opensync-plugin-synce
When following the next step:

create_partnership.py "Linux desktop" "Contacts,Calendar"
I get the following output

Creating partnership...

error: failed to create partnership
error: org.synce.SyncEngine.Error.Disconnected

Since I can't create a partnership, I can't synchronize my device.

Ehol
January 12th, 2009, 08:54 AM
When you connect your PDA to PC (via USB I suppose), what messages dmesg give to you (Plese report them here) ?

kaefert66014235
January 12th, 2009, 09:03 AM
When you connect your PDA to PC (via USB I suppose), what messages dmesg give to you (Plese report them here) ?

[ 3066.708944] hda-intel: IRQ timing workaround is activated for card #0. Suggest a bigger bdl_pos_adj.
[ 4684.433168] CE: hpet increasing min_delta_ns to 22500 nsec
[ 4923.492089] usb 4-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 4
[ 4923.633527] usb 4-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 4923.778473] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial
[ 4923.779519] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for generic
[ 4923.780502] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbserial_generic
[ 4923.780508] usbserial: USB Serial Driver core
[ 4923.790449] usbserial: USB Serial support registered for PocketPC PDA
[ 4923.790455] ipaq: USB PocketPC PDA driver v0.5
[ 4923.790509] ipaq 4-2:1.0: PocketPC PDA converter detected
[ 4923.791430] usb 4-2: PocketPC PDA converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[ 4923.791443] usbcore: registered new interface driver ipaq
[ 4924.011358] PPP generic driver version 2.4.2
[ 4925.863399] PPP BSD Compression module registered
[ 4925.897748] PPP Deflate Compression module registered

the things that work for me are:
-) browsing synce:/// with nautilus: reading & writing
-) using synce-kpm for seeing the details of the device, installing & deinstalling programms (cab-files)

the thing that doesnt work:
-) using synce-kpm for browsind / editing / creating partnerships
-) using the commands synce-list-partnerships & synce-create-partnership
-) therefore: no synchronizing

Ehol
January 16th, 2009, 11:00 PM
Sorry for my delay.
I saw that your PDA is recognized as an ipaq or, better, the module ipaq is loaded when you connect your PDA.
This is kinda wrong, since you have a WM 6.1, haven't you ?

When you connect your PDA, it should load rndis-host module.
So I guess you should :
1)
sudo apt-get install librra0-tools librapi2-tools
2) blacklist ipaq in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
3) modify your /etc/network/interfaces in order to allow rndis0 to get an IP address. It should have a line like

auto rndis0
iface rndis0 inet dhcp

Try to restart and reconnect.
Then, if the creation of the partnership still fails, report here dmesg log again

kaefert66014235
January 17th, 2009, 08:28 AM
Thanks for your help Ehol!

However, I justed sent in my device for repair yesterday (other reasons), so it will take me some weeks (until my device has returned) to test this.
But one question, because you write something about ip adresses and stuff: I changed the device settings (unticked the fast active-sync connection checkbox) so that it doesn't do this network stuff, because I thought this would be more stable.

Ehol
January 17th, 2009, 10:32 AM
synce-hal is working only on IP address.
So if you don't manage to assign an address to your PDA, synce shouldn't be able to connect to it.

These are the info in my possession: they could be partial or incomplete or defective.
But to me they are quite effective (i connected my new HTC Touch HD using rndis-host and it works like a charm).

So maybe they are worth a try.
Ah, also consider to install (svn download, then compile and then install ... there's no deb package compiled for Ibex) usb-rndis-lite from synce.org, because the module included in the kernel may be not enough for your device (if it's an HTC, they'll CERTAINLY not be :) )

If you need an updated guide, try to look at this post :
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6258719&postcount=6

kaefert66014235
January 17th, 2009, 10:55 AM
My device is a HTC Touch HD too ;)
So do you have enabled or disabled the "fast connection" setting in active sync on your device?

Ehol
January 17th, 2009, 08:27 PM
Absolutely enabled (if you mean advanced network functionality under Usb to PC settings ... or something similar ... my HTC is italian, so I don't know the correct english translation)

kaefert66014235
January 17th, 2009, 09:12 PM
mine is German, so I too don't know the correct English translation. However, I think we're talking about the same thing. I had that setting disabled, because I didn't want to make the network manager to ignore eth1, because when I want to use the device as a modem (which works very well with linux in the new windows mobile 6.1 way, you just have to set the TMU to 1394) it is comfortable when I see the connection there.

However, I'm gonna try your suggestions and the guide @ http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6258719&postcount=6

Many Thanks, Thomas.

kaefert66014235
January 24th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Okey, I got my HTC Touch HD back. The setting I was talking about can be found under Settings -> Connections -> USB to PC. It is called:

Enable faster data synchronization (Clear this check box if ActiveSync does not recognize the device)

However, regardless if I check this checkbox or not, the partnership commands always give the same error:

kaefert@Mobulux:~$ synce-delete-partnership
error: org.synce.SyncEngine.Error.Disconnected

may the command synce-matchmaker be an alternative?

kaefert@Mobulux:~$ synce-matchmaker status
Current partner index: 0
kaefert@Mobulux:~$ synce-matchmaker create
Partnership creation succeeded. Using partnership index 1.
kaefert@Mobulux:~$ synce-matchmaker status
Current partner index: 1
Partner 1 id: 0x0f908ef6
Partner 1 name: "Mobulux"
kaefert@Mobulux:~$

having used synce-matchmaker seems to not be enough. Using msynctool I get the following errors from the plugin "synce-opensync-plugin"

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/opensync/python-plugins/synce-opensync-plugin-2x.py", line 152, in get_changeinfo
self._TriggerSync()
File "/usr/lib/opensync/python-plugins/synce-opensync-plugin-2x.py", line 117, in _TriggerSync
self.engine.Synchronize()
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/dbus/proxies.py", line 140, in __call__
**keywords)
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/dbus/connection.py", line 607, in call_blocking
message, timeout)
dbus.exceptions.DBusException: org.synce.SyncEngine.Error.Disconnected: Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/var/lib/python-support/python2.5/dbus/service.py", line 696, in _message_cb
retval = candidate_method(self, *args, **keywords)
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sync_engine-0.11.1-py2.5.egg/SyncEngine/kernel.py", line 534, in Synchronize
pship = self._CheckAndGetValidPartnership()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sync_engine-0.11.1-py2.5.egg/SyncEngine/kernel.py", line 257, in _CheckAndGetValidPartnership
self._CheckDeviceConnected()
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/sync_engine-0.11.1-py2.5.egg/SyncEngine/kernel.py", line 231, in _CheckDeviceConnected
raise errors.Disconnected
Disconnected: org.synce.SyncEngine.Error.Disconnected:

Member 2 of type evo2-sync just sent all changes
Member 1 of type synce-opensync-plugin had an error while getting changes: Error during get_changeinfo() method
DEBUG:SynCE:disconnect() called
Member 1 of type synce-opensync-plugin just disconnected
Member 2 of type evo2-sync just disconnected
All clients have disconnected
The sync failed: Unable to read from one of the members
DEBUG:SynCE:finalize() called
Error while synchronizing: Unable to read from one of the members

Everything else works nice.

schiz
January 24th, 2009, 04:58 PM
I just followed the guide in the first post, but am still unable to access my HTC Touch pro from nautilus(it says it cant open "synce" locations) , this is all that I want to do, but cannot, what could I do to access the phone files from ubuntu 8.10?

kaefert66014235
January 24th, 2009, 06:37 PM
I just followed the guide in the first post, but am still unable to access my HTC Touch pro from nautilus(it says it cant open "synce" locations) , this is all that I want to do, but cannot, what could I do to access the phone files from ubuntu 8.10?

does the command synce-pls work for you?

Stefanie
January 26th, 2009, 02:49 PM
isn't there a restriction on how many partnerships your phone can handle? maybe you should try to list the existing partnerships and delete them. you can use synce-list-partnerships and synce-delete-partnerships to do this.

Runamok
January 28th, 2009, 03:54 AM
You CAN sync the Sprint HTC Touch Pro directly through Ubuntu using a program called synce. I used the information found on this page...
http://smealko.blogspot.com/2008/10/...-work-for.html

In Summary, you need to go System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager and make sure all of the following programs are installed.

multisync-tools multisync0.90 opensync-module-python opensync-plugin-evolution opensync-plugin-google-calendar opensync-plugin-synce python-opensync synce-gnomevfs synce-gvfs synce-hal synce-sync-engine synce-trayicon

Also, I did open an terminal and type "sudo modprobe ipaq" Not sure if this made a difference....

Reboot and the synce-trayicon should start. Right click to browse files, works like a charm.

- Enjoy
Runamok

P.S. I didn't add any sources. Running Hardy Heron 8.04 Fully Updated since last week.

mroki
February 5th, 2009, 10:08 AM
Hello!

I had a Mio a701 smartphone and I tried to synchronize with Evolution.
With a bit googgling I can succesfully synchronize the Contacts, but the Calendar not. (I hat a Nokia 8250 phone also and with that is no problem to synchronize either the calendar and the contacts)

Do You have an idea what should be the problem?

Ubuntu 8.04
WM 6.1

$ synce-list-partnerships
AVAILABLE DEVICE PARTNERSHIPS
Index Name Device Host SyncItems
----- ---- ------ ---- ---------
0 abc WM_llelkes llelkes-home [Calendar Contacts ]

$ msynctool --listgroups
Available groups:
synce-sync
Nokia

$ msynctool --showgroup synce-sync
Groupname: synce-sync
Member 1: synce-opensync-plugin
No Configuration found: Member has not been configured
Member 2: evo2-sync
Configuration : <config>
<address_path>default</address_path>
<calendar_path>default</calendar_path>
<tasks_path>default</tasks_path>
</config>

clcoyle
February 6th, 2009, 12:57 AM
In Summary, you need to go System>Administration>Synaptic Package Manager and make sure all of the following programs are installed.

multisync-tools multisync0.90 opensync-module-python opensync-plugin-evolution opensync-plugin-google-calendar opensync-plugin-synce python-opensync synce-gnomevfs synce-gvfs synce-hal synce-sync-engine synce-trayicon

Okay, NONE of those programs are installed. I really hate to say these words... What now?