PDA

View Full Version : New HDTV advice?

quasifly
January 7th, 2009, 09:27 PM
I'm looking to buy an HDTV or LCD Monitor between 24 and 32 inches. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm fairly new to Mythbuntu and Linux. Are some more difficult to set up? Looking for something not too expensive but has a good picture. Is there an advantage to buying an HDTV to a large LCD computer display?

Thanks

quasifly
January 8th, 2009, 04:21 PM
bump

emillan
January 8th, 2009, 04:46 PM
Is there an advantage to buying an HDTV to a large LCD computer display?

I've been thinking along the same lines and am leaning towards a TV over a monitor.

A TV has speakers whereas most monitors don't.

TVs often have wider viewing angles.

The TV will have a receiver (though that might be irrelevant in many Myth setups).

Also, TVs have remotes so you can turn them off, change volume and switch inputs from across the room.

That said, there is quite a price differential between TVs and monitors.

Emilio

newlinux
January 8th, 2009, 05:14 PM
I'm looking to buy an HDTV or LCD Monitor between 24 and 32 inches. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm fairly new to Mythbuntu and Linux. Are some more difficult to set up? Looking for something not too expensive but has a good picture. Is there an advantage to buying an HDTV to a large LCD computer display?

Thanks

How far away are you sitting. Unless you are right near it, don't waste your money on a 1080p 32" set, get a 720P set (if you are looking into TVs as opposed to a monitor).

The next session is not exhaustive:

TV possible advantages (depends on model):

built in tuners (digital and analog)
Better tuning of picture (more picture controls)
More inputs and input types (VGA, HDMI, component, S-video, etc)
HDCP compliant (monitors can be too, although not really an issue in Linux)
Remote controls

Monitor possible advantages
Price
Higher resolution for less money (in general)
Slimmer, lighter, smaller (in some cases, due to less processing capabilities)

quasifly
January 8th, 2009, 05:39 PM
Would a moniter be significantly easier to set up? I would be using a Geforce graphics card (probably 8400 512MB). Im a little intimidated by the the things I've read about xorg.conf settings. Is this something I should be worried about or is it easier than it looks?

Thanks

theophile
January 8th, 2009, 06:12 PM
I have an Olevia HDTV that I'm very happy with. I've read that the internal speakers on these units are awful, but I use a receiver for audio anyway. It was difficult getting it to work with max resolution, but I now have a working xorg.conf that has worked perfectly as a drop-in on reinstalls.

An added bonus is that I can just change the input to use the Blu Ray player or the set top box directly for those pesky 5c channels MythTV won't record.

GCFreak
January 9th, 2009, 02:31 AM
It would really depend on size for me. For me connections on HDTVs have been irrelevant since all new HDTVs have HDMI connectors and you can easily but a DVI to HDMI dongle, so there is no hassles with TV outs or "computer input" hassles with VGA and most new graphics cards support HDCP on HDMI so that's not an issue either. I would use a monitor up to 24" and above that I would use an HDTV, for me the cost advantage of a monitor stops at 24".

As for sound, I wouldn't use TV speakers at all, no matter how high power they are. All sound coming from a computer into a TV deserves systems above 2 channels, with a subwoofer. =)