PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Boot xp in ubuntu!?!

metz80
January 7th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Hi..

First off, I have Ubuntu, and XP installed on my hdd, Grub at boot.

I am using XP for misc software that do not run i Ubuntu/linux, and some work related.

So.. you see, I boot win xp when I need to do some work related stuff, and use ubuntu for everything else.

My question!

Is it possible to boot the windows xp partition in a virtual environment ?

I would like to have access to my work email, and minor things from the XP partition without having to reboot the computer to windows xp all the time.

I know I could install a seperate xp virtual in Linux, but I can not do this, because I am using misc software sometimes that require alot of power.

so simply have the xp running paralell with ubuntu for the minor things, and reboot whole thing for bigger operations.

Is this possible ?

Regards!
-Tom-

mikewhatever
January 7th, 2009, 10:48 AM
Yes it's possible and just a google search away. Done that for you.
http://www.google.co.il/search?q=vmware+existing+windows&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=com.ubuntu:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

hyper_ch
January 7th, 2009, 10:56 AM
I'd rather advise to make a virtual partition for an xp that you run in vbox or vmware and not using a real partition.

metz80
January 7th, 2009, 04:03 PM
I'd rather advise to make a virtual partition for an xp that you run in vbox or vmware and not using a real partition.

Why ?

I need to have power available when I am running some misc programs, and I doubt I will be able to do this if using a virtual environment!?!

Thanks for the google search btw ;p

HunterK
January 7th, 2009, 04:07 PM
I have to assume there is risk involved in possibly damaging/corrupting the data on the "real" partition if you do it that way?

hyper_ch
January 7th, 2009, 04:11 PM
there are a few issues with running it from a real installed windows... as said, it's my advise :)

linux_paul
January 7th, 2009, 04:12 PM
Why ?

I need to have power available when I am running some misc programs, and I doubt I will be able to do this if using a virtual environment!?!

What are your system specs? I use VirtualBox to cross-compile windows apps and it runs just fine on 1Gig of ram.

metz80
January 7th, 2009, 08:11 PM
Specs are no trouble, dual core cpu, 64bit system, 4GB Ram ++... Was running virtualbox before, with windows virtual image file thingy.. But.. I did not like the lack of performance when using some of the software I need to use.. Tried to tweek the performance, providing more RAM and such, but.. Not the same as running on a separate install.

Thing is,, I really wanted all work related stuff (emails, docs and such) on the windows part, and private on linux, however,, It would be nice to not have to reboot the comp each time to check work rel emails ++.

And I do not want to break the windows install...

Anyone tried to run this using virtualbox? or VMware? or perhaps anything else?

Regards!
-Tom-

weblordpepe
January 7th, 2009, 08:53 PM
I have successfully used QEMU to run Windows 95 in a virtual machine, but directly off a hard drive.
It was as simple as specifying /dev/sdb1 or whatever it was as the virtual disk. Qemu may not be the fastest ot there but that simple feature provided an amazing flexibility.

jocko
January 7th, 2009, 09:24 PM
It is possible with the instructions on this page (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=769883).
But: Realize that you may have to reactivate your copy of XP. The windows license does not permit running the same install on a new machine (even if it's a virtual machine in the same physical hardware), and microsoft have put some safeguards to prevent this. So it's up to you if you want to risk it...

blazemore
January 7th, 2009, 10:01 PM
DON'T DO IT
It buggered up activation, the performance was dire, and it made my XP unbootable on bare metal.

metz80
January 8th, 2009, 12:43 AM
LoL... Sounds like it will crash my xp partition ;)
Perhaps I shall setup a dual boot ubuntu and xp system (with no stuff that could be lost), and give it a go...

What do you recommend to use? Virtualbox (possible to do this?), some other app?

-Tom-

blazemore
January 8th, 2009, 02:33 PM
Just use a virtual hard disk. The performance won't be much different. In fact, the performance may even be better!
There are three ways to make your virtual hard disk faster:

1. Make it Fixed Size, not Dynamic
2. Save it on its own dedicated hard-drive (different partition wont make a difference)
3. FORMAT WITH NTFS, NOT NTFS (QUICK) in XP setup <--- Really helps

blazemore
January 9th, 2009, 08:21 AM
Why ?

You're misunderstanding.
It will still be a virtual environment!
CPU: Virtual
GPU: Virtual
RAM: Virtual
Audio: Virtual
Hard disk: Virtual (It doesn't matter where the files are stored, its still virtual)

sendblink23
January 9th, 2009, 08:30 AM
All that "blazemore" is saying..

Is Exactly TRUE, Virtual Enviroment is much better.. and Please follow his Suggestion of both of his Last Posts

blazemore
January 9th, 2009, 10:07 AM
Thanks Sendblink. :-)

Have you tried "Windows XP Performance Edition September 2008"?
I use it for virtual machines, it doesn't come with all crap like games and the like. The iso is only about 300mb!
I'm afraid I can't tell you where to get it.

weblordpepe
January 26th, 2009, 02:23 PM
it made my XP unbootable on bare metal.Thats an awesome term. We should all use that to describe a real system :P:)