PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] New App: SopCast Player for Ubuntu

Pages : 1 [2]

flyguy97
November 9th, 2009, 03:48 PM
could anyone please give me an update if it works if you click on channels from myp2p.eu and such? i need to see channels from that site.

I haven't added that functionality yet. I have no idea when this will be available, sorry I didn't have better news.

Cheers,
Jason

ssdt
November 9th, 2009, 03:50 PM
can i manually set it up somehow? such as running from the terminal using the program?

flyguy97
November 9th, 2009, 03:51 PM
can i manually set it up somehow? such as running from the terminal using the program?

Yes, you can either do it from the command line, just type the channel address after sopcast-player. Or open SopCast Player then go to File -> Open and then enter the sop address there.

Cheers,
Jason

madone1
November 10th, 2009, 12:59 AM
The good news is everything appears to be installed correctly, (btw did you use the PPA?). Try opening SopCast Player and then going to File -> Open and then enter sop://202.190.75.151:3912/16499 (this channel always seems to work) in the Sop Address field. Let me know how it goes.
Cheers,
Jason
I have sopcast installed sopcast-player64 with libstdc++5 integrated and sp-auth in (9.10) but it keeps trying to conect / retry any channel or link that I try. But advised channel works. When channel opens it runs two vlc(XVideo output) screens ??? Way other channels don`t work?

Thanks

flyguy97
November 10th, 2009, 08:30 AM
I have sopcast installed sopcast-player64 with libstdc++5 integrated and sp-auth in (9.10) but it keeps trying to conect / retry any channel or link that I try. But advised channel works. When channel opens it runs two vlc(XVideo output) screens ??? Way other channels don`t work?

Thanks

Please follow the instructions at https://launchpad.net/~jason-scheunemann/+archive/ppa to install my ppa, the version available there takes care of the dual video problem. Also, since it is repository, you will always get the latest bug-fixes and enhancements whenever you update your computer. What version of libstdc++5 did you install, if you could write a quick how-to I think that would help a lot of fellow users who are experiencing difficulties getting the 64-bit version working properly.

Cheers,
Jason

joanmunoz
November 10th, 2009, 10:18 AM
The good news is everything appears to be installed correctly, (btw did you use the PPA?). Try opening SopCast Player and then going to File -> Open and then enter sop://202.190.75.151:3912/16499 (this channel always seems to work) in the Sop Address field. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
Jason

Hi Jason,

I have the same issue (Connect/Retry Channel). I've tested the one you suggested with success, but almost every other channel failed. Anyway, I have just added your PPA. Any suggestion?

Thx!

Joan

juliansuddaby
November 10th, 2009, 03:36 PM
After some messing around on my Karmic 64bit, here's what worked for me:

1. Download the modified version of Sopcast-Player (64) from the non-PPA source below. They seem to have added something to fix the libstdc5++ dependency. Sp-sc works via CLI after this sopcast-player64 has been installed

http://www.sourceslist.eu/installare-software-tramite-repository/installare-sopcast-player-0-3-0-su-ubuntu-karmic-koala-9-10-in-pochi-click/

2. Using the channel list does not work for me (the constant reloading problem), and neither does using the CLI with a sop address taken from http://www.sopcast.com/chlist.xml. However, the addresses taken from the Google cache of http://channel.sopcast.com/channel/ (which is down for me) seem to work fine in SopCast Player and for the CLI.

NB: Because of not using the PPA version, you get two video windows opening up.

A little bit of a mess right now! But thanks to the author of SopCast Player for making this all possible.

flyguy97
November 11th, 2009, 03:59 PM
All,

I added a version of libstdc++5 to my ppa which should overcome the issues encountered when using SopCast Player with Ubuntu 9.10, can someone verify this works on the 64-bit platform. To perform the install first be sure you are using my ppa. Directions can be found here (https://launchpad.net/~jason-scheunemann/+archive/ppa). Then perform the following:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get install libstdc++5

Note: If it the first time you are installing be sure to grab sp-auth from here (http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/downloads/list) after installing libstdc++5, then perform the following:

$ sudo apt-get install sopcast-player

Let me know how it works. If everything goes smoothly I will release a version of SopCast Player that can be completely installed from the PPA with just one command (I know installation is a mess right now), no need to visit the Google Code page. I believe this will add a wider user-base to the program, and hopefully more channels everyone can enjoy.

Cheers,
Jason

juliansuddaby
November 11th, 2009, 08:38 PM
Jason:

Apt-get downloads and installs the libstdc++5 .deb from your PPA fine, but sp-sc still fails with the message:

sp-sc: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Thanks for your quick work on this, though!

flyguy97
November 11th, 2009, 10:57 PM
Jason:

Apt-get downloads and installs the libstdc++5 .deb from your PPA fine, but sp-sc still fails with the message:

sp-sc: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Wow, I am really at a loss for this one. The x86 worked fine on my system, however I don't have a 64-bit system so troubleshooting is real pain. It looks like back to the drawing board.

Cheers,
Jason

flyguy97
November 11th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Jason:

Can you please check if you have ia32-libs installed. This may be the key to all of this.

flyguy97
November 11th, 2009, 11:17 PM
Jason:

Please disregard the previous message, I figured out what I need to fix. Jaunty and previous included libstdc++5 as part of its ia32-libs package. The package included two files:

/usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.5
/usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.5.0.7

Please try and symlink the files that were part of the libstdc++5 install to the /usr/lib32 directories and let me know if that works. If so, we are probably only a week away from having a ppa that only needs the apt-get install sopcast-player and it will satisfy all its own dependencies automatically.

Cheers,
Jason

serstickman
November 12th, 2009, 05:54 AM
Thanks for all you've done in making this player work. Greatly appreciate it!

joanmunoz
November 12th, 2009, 12:17 PM
Jason, thanks for all the time and efforts you're putting on this.

Regards!

Joan

embeddeddeveloper
November 12th, 2009, 11:47 PM
Please disregard the previous message, I figured out what I need to fix. Jaunty and previous included libstdc++5 as part of its ia32-libs package. The package included two files:

/usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.5
/usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.5.0.7
Please try and symlink the files that were part of the libstdc++5 install to the /usr/lib32 directories and let me know if that works. If so, we are probably only a week away from having a ppa that only needs the apt-get install sopcast-player and it will satisfy all its own dependencies automatically.

Cheers,
Jason

Hi Jason,
Thanks for all your efforts so far. I have had a dickens of a time getting sp-sc to work in 64-bit karmic.

I had the same missing library error as the others and I tried your suggestion of creating the sym links in the /usr/lib32 directory.

Now I get a different error:

owner@owner-laptop:~$ sp-sc
sp-sc: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++.so.5: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64As you can see it is perhaps looking for a 32 bit ELF class so linking the 64 bit ones won't work.

I am going to try to hack in the 32bit libs and see what happens.

Chris

flyguy97
November 13th, 2009, 03:31 AM
All,

I truly appreciate everyone's patience and gratitude regarding the 64-bit version. The good news is, its fixed. I created a package called lib32stdc++5 in my ppa, be sure to do an apt-get update before trying to install. This time I can verify the fix works as I finally went out and purchased a 64-bit machine, I'm sure it will prove to be a worthy investment. I hope that within the next week I can completely repackage SopCast Player so a new user would only have to add my ppa than do an apt-get install sopcast-player for a complete install. Thank you for your patience.

Cheers,
Jason

P.S. I know SopCast Player isn't the only package that suffered from the libstdc++5 issue, please feel free to spread the word about lib32stdc++5, I know a lot of older programs are suffering due to a lack of insight in removing this package from the default repositories.

flyguy97
November 13th, 2009, 06:25 AM
All,

The good news keeps coming in. I just received an email from the author of the Sopcast client software which contained an updated version of the Linux binary that includes support for H264 channels. I will release this as part of SopCast Player just as soon as I can test it out a bit. If you can't wait to get your hands on it I have attached a copy of the client software. Just make sure that you have a symlink in your /usr/bin directory named sp-sc that points to the actual location of this file.

Cheers,
Jason

mocha
November 13th, 2009, 02:19 PM
All,

The good news keeps coming in. I just received an email from the author of the Sopcast client software which contained an updated version of the Linux binary that includes support for H264 channels. I will release this as part of SopCast Player just as soon as I can test it out a bit. If you can't wait to get your hands on it I have attached a copy of the client software. Just make sure that you have a symlink in your /usr/bin directory named sp-sc that points to the actual location of this file.

Cheers,
Jason

Whoa! Your attached binary is v3.2.6 which isn't even released on the sopcast website yet. Is this a beta? I'm surprised to see a Linux version supporting H.264, tell your sopcast buddies thanks!

flyguy97
November 13th, 2009, 04:04 PM
Whoa! Your attached binary is v3.2.6 which isn't even released on the sopcast website yet. Is this a beta? I'm surprised to see a Linux version supporting H.264, tell your sopcast buddies thanks!

I will definitely pass on your appreciation to the folks at sopcast. To answer your question, no, the attached binary is not a beta. It was finalized 3 days ago and just hasn't been released to the general public yet. Glad to hear your happy with SopCast Player. I think it is a great platform, I just wish it was open source.

Cheers,
Jason

mocha
November 13th, 2009, 06:04 PM
I will definitely pass on your appreciation to the folks at sopcast. To answer your question, no, the attached binary is not a beta. It was finalized 3 days ago and just hasn't been released to the general public yet. Glad to hear your happy with SopCast Player. I think it is a great platform, I just wish it was open source.

Cheers,
Jason

There's going to be a lot of happy folks at myp2p!

flyguy97
November 14th, 2009, 12:25 AM
All,

I am very pleased to announce that my PPA now automates the complete process of installing SopCast Player. This is now the preferred method of installation as updating both the client software and SopCast Player itself will be managed completely transparent to the end-user. I suggest all current users un-install both SopCast Player and sp-auth then re-install through the PPA to make sure you are up-to-date (preferences and bookmarks will be unaffected). Installing the PPA is simple, instructions can be found at https://launchpad.net/~jason-scheunemann/+archive/ppa. Once the PPA installed perform the following:

$ sudo apt-get update

You should now have a fully working version of SopCast Player installed. I'm sure some may wonder why this hasn't been done before. The reason is I didn't realize binaries from closed-source projects could be redistributed as part of open-source projects on Launchpad. A nicely detailed explanation of the policy can be found at https://answers.launchpad.net/launchpad/+question/52348. It is great to see Ubuntu isn't limiting the use of great applications based solely on its license.

I plan on updating the player in the coming weeks to include features such as greater bookmark management, opening Sop links directly from Firefox (the most requested feature), and fixing the issues revolving around user preferences being lost. These upgrades will remain transparent to you from now on as long as you regularly update your computer. If you want to just update SopCast Player the command to do that is as follows:

$ sudo apt-get update

I'm sure most of you will enjoy the changes as it will free you from looking for updated package versions. However, if you would like to manually update your computer I will try to keep the Google Code webpage (http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player) as up-to-date as possible.

Cheers,
Jason

realzippy
November 14th, 2009, 02:00 PM
Jason-Thanks again.
Now it works even on Karmic 64bit perfectly!!

juliansuddaby
November 14th, 2009, 03:28 PM
Perfect, works great!

flyguy97
November 14th, 2009, 05:32 PM
All,

I am very happy to hear people are having better success installing SopCast Player. If anyone has any problems at all please let me know and I will help them get everything figured out. If you are having issues, chances are someone else is as well.

Also, I want to give the users a voice in what they want to see next in SopCast Player. Everything is on the table: bug fixes, enhancements, a complete overhaul, whatever you want, it is up to you, the user. Please just leave a message of what you would like to see improved and at the end of next weekend I will have a pretty good idea of what the most important priorities for SopCast player will be. I will use this to create a road map for a 1.0 release of SopCast Player that I will be sure to share with everyone. I believe this program has become successful only through collaboration, from users and translators to people who have volunteered their time and skills. I truly appreciate everyone's efforts and I want to continue this approach to make this the best product it can be.

Cheers,
Jason

flyguy97
November 14th, 2009, 10:53 PM
All,

I am pleased to announce that I have added support for Hardy in my PPA. I ask that someone verify everything is working correctly.

Cheers,
Jason

flyguy97
November 15th, 2009, 12:48 PM
All,

Sorry but I made a mistake in the packaging of sp-auth that resulted in the client software never exiting which resulted in continued bandwidth usage until the computer was restarted. The issue has been fixed and verified in Hardy and Karmic (99% sure it will work on all, but if anyone has problems let me know). Make sure to do a:

$ sudo apt-get update
$ sudo apt-get upgrade

The former command will guarantee you fetch the newest file list from my ppa and the latter will actually perform the upgrade. Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your continued support.

Cheers,
Jason

flyguy97
November 15th, 2009, 12:54 PM
All,

I am pleased to announce that I have added support for Hardy in my PPA. I ask that someone verify everything is working correctly.

Cheers,
Jason

All,

I can verify that Hardy is now 100% supported. As part of the support the local version of VLC must be upgraded. This will require no action as an updated version of VLC for Hardy is also included in my PPA (version 0.9.9a). If you want your VLC to remain stock I regret to say you will be unable to use SopCast Player.

Cheers,
Jason

P.S. The VLC package is courtesy of Christoph Korn, packages were directly copied from his PPA to my own.

mocha
November 16th, 2009, 06:06 PM
Feature requests:

- Ability to record channels from guide AND any external sop links pasted in by the user.

- Ability to schedule the recording start/stop times.

Thanks.

flyguy97
November 18th, 2009, 08:25 PM
Feature requests:

- Ability to record channels from guide AND any external sop links pasted in by the user.

- Ability to schedule the recording start/stop times.

Thanks.

It looks like this might be the number one request. It is close between this and firefox integration.

Cheers,
Jason

Canto39
November 19th, 2009, 01:47 AM
The Key ID doesnt work for me, what is it?

flyguy97
November 19th, 2009, 07:31 AM

If your asking about the pgp key for my PPA do the following:

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys CD30EE56

Thank you for pointing this out, I will add these instructions to my Google Code How-to page.

Cheers,
Jason

shajip88
November 21st, 2009, 10:10 PM
dude u rock. i was about to install windows because of this sopcast prob but u made me to remain with ubunutu. thanks a lot

flyguy97
November 21st, 2009, 11:43 PM
dude u rock. i was about to install windows because of this sopcast prob but u made me to remain with ubunutu. thanks a lot

That is one of the best compliments I have received from this program. I'm glad you'll remain with us. Happy sopcasting!

Cheers,
Jason

gwilkins82
November 22nd, 2009, 05:07 AM
Jason,

I seem to have the some what common problem of the connecting/retrying channel loop for all channels..even the one you listed a while back in the thread for generally always working. Pretty sure one in particular I am trying is up and running. Any ideas? Also, is there a new default for the channel guide?

Thanks a lot!

on a side note, what would i need to do to get vlc to serve as the player? seems to be what people do based on this thread.

chaopoch
November 23rd, 2009, 04:44 AM
I install sopcast-player by adding the PPA to the sources.list, but it is always connecting/retrying, and no channel is available to watch.

BTW, I notice that the /usr/share/sp-auth is blank, if this directory is useless, why is it packed in the package?

chaopoch
November 23rd, 2009, 05:10 AM
As you can see in the screenshots, I can watch HuNan TV in gsopcast, but can not in sopcast-player.

flyguy97
November 23rd, 2009, 06:35 PM
I install sopcast-player by adding the PPA to the sources.list, but it is always connecting/retrying, and no channel is available to watch.

BTW, I notice that the /usr/share/sp-auth is blank, if this directory is useless, why is it packed in the package?

I know I need to clean up the sp-auth package a bit, sorry for the slop.

Cheers,
Jason

flyguy97
November 23rd, 2009, 06:37 PM
As you can see in the screenshots, I can watch HuNan TV in gsopcast, but can not in sopcast-player.

I can't explain why it is not working for you. I tried Hunan TV and everything loaded very quickly. Are you able to reach other channels?

Cheers,
Jason

TheFlamingBush
November 23rd, 2009, 08:31 PM
Top work Jason....awesome mate!!!!

just a quick question though jason, when opening direct links from firefox, how do i get firefox to recognize the (sop) protocol?

flyguy97
November 24th, 2009, 12:59 AM
Top work Jason....awesome mate!!!!

just a quick question though jason, when opening direct links from firefox, how do i get firefox to recognize the (sop) protocol?

For an overview of how to do this manually go to the bottom of http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/wiki/Installation. The good news on this is over the weekend I found out how to do this automatically during installation, I just have to re-package and put a new release. I hope to get an update out soon. Thank you for using SopCast Player.

Cheers,
Jason

flyguy97
November 24th, 2009, 03:01 AM
All,

SopCast Player 0.3.3 has been released. Changes are as follows:

- Usability enhancement patch by Benjamin Klüglein
- Sop links automatically handled by browsers

Cheers,
Jason

chaopoch
November 24th, 2009, 05:29 AM
I can't explain why it is not working for you. I tried Hunan TV and everything loaded very quickly. Are you able to reach other channels?

Cheers,
Jason

That is really weird, I completely remove the sopcast-player and all the dependencies, then install the new version 0.3.3, but the problem persists, no channel is available, it is always connecting and retrying, what happens?

PS: gsopcast still works normally.

flyguy97
November 24th, 2009, 08:30 AM
That is really weird, I completely remove the sopcast-player and all the dependencies, then install the new version 0.3.3, but the problem persists, no channel is available, it is always connecting and retrying, what happens?

PS: gsopcast still works normally.

Try opening sopcast-player from the command line and then open a channel. If there are errors they should show up here.

chaopoch
November 24th, 2009, 08:42 AM
Try opening sopcast-player from the command line and then open a channel. If there are errors they should show up here.

Here is the screenshot for your reference.

chaopoch
November 24th, 2009, 09:00 AM
Here is the screenshot of opening gsopcast from the command line.

flyguy97
November 24th, 2009, 10:25 PM
Here is the screenshot for your reference.

Are you able to watch any channels?

chaopoch
November 25th, 2009, 01:21 AM
Are you able to watch any channels?

No, I can not watch any channel with Sopcast Player.

elmariachi
November 26th, 2009, 01:56 AM
I'm on Karmic 64 and I have the same outcome as "chaopoch", I did the following steps:

sudo apt-get remove sopcast-player
sudo apt-get remove sp-authInstalled the PPA and then:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install sopcast-playerStill didn't work ("Connecting, Retrying"), so I tried to upgrade:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgradeStill doesn't work ("Connecting, Retrying").

Let me know if you need any more information. And thanks for your work!

Mike

codenamenikky
November 26th, 2009, 06:28 AM
I just wanted to say thank you and its a gr8 job

flyguy97
November 26th, 2009, 10:48 AM
I'm on Karmic 64 and I have the same outcome as "chaopoch", I did the following steps:

sudo apt-get remove sopcast-player
sudo apt-get remove sp-authInstalled the PPA and then:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install sopcast-playerStill didn't work ("Connecting, Retrying"), so I tried to upgrade:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgradeStill doesn't work ("Connecting, Retrying").

Let me know if you need any more information. And thanks for your work!

Mike

This is for both you and chaopoch. Please try the following command to remove sp-auth and sopcast-player:

$ sudo aptitude purge sopcast-player
$ sudo aptitude purge sp-auth
$ sudo aptitude clean

I'm thinking it may be related to previous versions of sp-auth and sopcast-player. The purge completely removes the package and related files from your system (its a bit more thorough than just a standard remove command). The clean command removes all cached packages retrieved from your package manager (old packages you already have installed).

After you do that perform the following:

This will ensure you get a fresh copy of the packages. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
Jason

chaopoch
November 26th, 2009, 12:36 PM
This is for both you and chaopoch. Please try the following command to remove sp-auth and sopcast-player:

$ sudo aptitude purge sopcast-player
$ sudo aptitude purge sp-auth
$ sudo aptitude clean

I'm thinking it may be related to previous versions of sp-auth and sopcast-player. The purge completely removes the package and related files from your system (its a bit more thorough than just a standard remove command). The clean command removes all cached packages retrieved from your package manager (old packages you already have installed).

After you do that perform the following:

This will ensure you get a fresh copy of the packages. Let me know how it goes.

Cheers,
Jason

Nothing changes, the problem persists.

flyguy97
November 26th, 2009, 02:24 PM
Nothing changes, the problem persists.

From the command line type:

$ sp-sc sop://211.152.36.38:3912/6022 8901 8902 > test.txt

Let it run for a while (about two minutes) and then do a ctrl+c in the terminal to stop the program. Attach the resulting text file (test.txt).

I have to be honest I have no idea of what is going on. I also run Karmic 64 and haven't experienced any issues. Don't worry though, we'll get it figured out.

Cheers,
Jason

chaopoch
November 27th, 2009, 01:26 AM
from the command line type:

let it run for a while (about two minutes) and then do a ctrl+c in the terminal to stop the program. Attach the resulting text file (test.txt).

I have to be honest i have no idea of what is going on. I also run karmic 64 and haven't experienced any issues. Don't worry though, we'll get it figured out.

Cheers,
jason

flyguy97
November 27th, 2009, 03:08 AM

That is HunanTV, now try:

And post your results.

Cheers,
Jason

flyguy97
November 27th, 2009, 03:11 AM
Disregard previous. Go to edit -> preferences -> Channel Guide and change the Channel Guide URL to http://channel.sopcast.com/gchlxml, refresh and then try some of the channels.

Cheers,
Jason

HuaiDan
November 28th, 2009, 04:28 AM
Works great, but would it be possible to post a comprehensive guide?

flyguy97
November 28th, 2009, 07:17 AM
Works great, but would it be possible to post a comprehensive guide?

What kind of information would you be looking for in the guide?

flyguy97
November 28th, 2009, 08:14 AM

Now in SopCast Player select File -> Open and type in the same sop address as you used on the command line (sop://211.152.36.38:3912/6022). Let me know if it works for you.

Cheers,
Jason

Yunus Emre
November 28th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Here is the good news: I've started Turkish translation. :)

flyguy97
November 28th, 2009, 09:22 AM
Here is the good news: I've started Turkish translation. :)

Excellent, I will release a new version whenever you are completed.

Cheers,
Jason

chaopoch
November 28th, 2009, 09:34 AM
Now in SopCast Player select File -> Open and type in the same sop address as you used on the command line (sop://211.152.36.38:3912/6022). Let me know if it works for you.

Cheers,
Jason

Yes, it works by typing the address in File -> Open, but it still does not work while opening it in the channel guide, why?

flyguy97
November 28th, 2009, 09:44 AM
Yes, it works by typing the address in File -> Open, but it still does not work while opening it in the channel guide, why?

To answer that I need to know a couple of things. What country do you live in and what localization are you using for your user profile?

chaopoch
November 28th, 2009, 10:08 AM
To answer that I need to know a couple of things. What country do you live in and what localization are you using for your user profile?

1. I live in Taiwan

2. localization? are you talking about "locale'? if you are, the Locale is "zh_TW.UTF-8".

3. Sopcast Player worked perfectly in Ubuntu 9.04 (VLC 1.0.1), I upgraded the whole system to 9.10 (VLC 1.0.2), and then Sopcast player never works normally, first problem was dual windows, but I can opened all the channels, now the dual windows problem is fixed, but no channel is available to watch.

4. Why don't use MPlayer as the default player? and why can not MPlayer integrate into the Sopcast Player interface?

flyguy97
November 28th, 2009, 10:54 AM
1. I live in Taiwan

2. localization? are you talking about "locale'? if you are, the Locale is "zh_TW.UTF-8".

3. Sopcast Player worked perfectly in Ubuntu 9.04 (VLC 1.0.1), I upgraded the whole system to 9.10 (VLC 1.0.2), and then Sopcast player never works normally, first problem was dual windows, but I can opened all the channels, now the dual windows problem is fixed, but no channel is available to watch.

4. Why don't use MPlayer as the default player? and why can not MPlayer integrate into the Sopcast Player interface?

I tried to use MPlayer but there were serious issues with the sound and video becoming out of sync. VLC is able to remain in sync for a majority of the time and even when it does occasionally experience an out of sync condition it will self-correct.

The issue with the channel guide is that since you are using the zh_TW locale SopCast Player defaults to using http://channel.sopcast.com/gchlxml as the channel guide instead of http://www.sopcast.com/gchlxml. Please change the channel guide url in Edit -> Preferences, refresh the channel guide, and let me know if that fixes your issues.

Cheers,
Jason

chaopoch
November 28th, 2009, 12:35 PM
I tried to use MPlayer but there were serious issues with the sound and video becoming out of sync. VLC is able to remain in sync for a majority of the time and even when it does occasionally experience an out of sync condition it will self-correct.

The issue with the channel guide is that since you are using the zh_TW locale SopCast Player defaults to using http://channel.sopcast.com/gchlxml as the channel guide instead of http://www.sopcast.com/gchlxml. Please change the channel guide url in Edit -> Preferences, refresh the channel guide, and let me know if that fixes your issues.

Cheers,
Jason

I test some channels, but only HuNan TV (sop://211.152.36.38:3912/6022) can be watched, the rest are always "connecting".

flyguy97
November 28th, 2009, 02:49 PM
I test some channels, but only HuNan TV (sop://211.152.36.38:3912/6022) can be watched, the rest are always "connecting".

What is the current URL for your channel guide?

JacobK
November 28th, 2009, 07:21 PM
When I try to install the .deb for sp-auth 3.0.1 on ubuntu 9.10 it says: "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: ia32-libs|lib32stdc++5". Can someone explain what the problem is?

flyguy97
November 28th, 2009, 09:15 PM
When I try to install the .deb for sp-auth 3.0.1 on ubuntu 9.10 it says: "Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: ia32-libs|lib32stdc++5". Can someone explain what the problem is?

It is best to install my ppa to handle depenecies automatically. See the instructions at http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/wiki/Installation. Let me know if you have any troubles.

Cheers,
Jason

JacobK
November 28th, 2009, 09:24 PM
I'm not a hardcore ubuntu-user, can you give a step-by-step explanation what I should with the commands? thanks for the help!

flyguy97
November 28th, 2009, 10:05 PM
I'm not a hardcore ubuntu-user, can you give a step-by-step explanation what I should with the commands? thanks for the help!

I would be happy to help. The first thing you need to know is that anytime you see the dollar sign ($) at the beginning of a line this usually means that whatever follows should be executed with a terminal window. To get to a terminal go to Applications -> Accessories -> Terminal. You may at times see the pound symbol (#) this indicates the following commands should also be executed at the terminal but as the root user. There is a command that will make you the root user just for one command and that is sudo. Whatever command following the pound can also be executed by using sudo. For example

# lspci

and

$ sudo lspci

are equivalent commands

With that said, any command performed as the root user should be carefully scrutinized prior to execution.

The two commands to execute to add my ppa are:

$ echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu `lsb_release -cs` main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys CD30EE56

The first line adds my ppa to your software sources file and the second command adds my ppa key to your software sources keyring.

The only thing left to do now is install my software, this can be done by executing the following command:

Note: When typing commands into the terminal be sure not to include the opening # or $ as these are just indicators of account access to be used during execution.

Good luck and please let me know if you need any additional assistance.

Cheers,
Jason

JacobK
November 28th, 2009, 10:42 PM
Awesome! It works! You give more than enough information actually, I knew all the stuff about terminal and sudo already, but for some reason the installation didn't work before.

Thanks for the help!

flyguy97
November 28th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Awesome! It works! You give more than enough information actually, I knew all the stuff about terminal and sudo already, but for some reason the installation didn't work before.

Thanks for the help!

No problem, glad to help. Thank you for your interest in SopCast Player.

Cheers,
Jason

chaopoch
November 29th, 2009, 01:10 AM
What is the current URL for your channel guide?

As you mentioned,

http://www.sopcast.com/gchlxml

c-m
November 29th, 2009, 02:29 PM
I added your ppa and i'm getting the following error:

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu/dists/helena/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz 404 Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

flyguy97
November 29th, 2009, 02:32 PM
I added your ppa and i'm getting the following error:

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu/dists/helena/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz 404 Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead.

c-m,

Nice to see a fellow Norfolker in here. What distribution are you using?

c-m
November 29th, 2009, 02:35 PM
I used to use 9.04 but and had this all working perfectly.

I recently moved to fresh install of Linux Mint 9.10

flyguy97
November 29th, 2009, 02:39 PM
I used to use 9.04 but and had this all working perfectly.

I recently moved to fresh install of Linux Mint 9.10

The command you ran is for Ubuntu only, remove the line you added in /etc/apt/sources.list and run the following from a command line:

echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list

This is assuming you are using the latest version of mint.

Be sure to do a sudo apt-get update then sudo apt-get install sopcast-player.

Cheers,
Jason

c-m
November 29th, 2009, 02:44 PM
The latest version of mint (mint 8) is based on Karmic not Jaunty.

I followed your command but it complains that ap-auth is missing.

carl@desktop ~ $ sudo apt-get install sopcast-player
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies.
sopcast-player: Depends: sp-auth (>= 3.0.1) but it is not going to be installed
E: Broken packages
carl@desktop ~ $

I have manually downloaded sp-auth but that can't install as it complains i don't have ia32-libs|lib32stdc++5

flyguy97
November 29th, 2009, 02:47 PM
The latest version of mint (mint 8) is based on Karmic not Jaunty.

I followed your command but it complains that ap-auth is missing.

carl@desktop ~ $ sudo apt-get install sopcast-player
Building dependency tree

carl@desktop ~ $

I have manually downloaded sp-auth but that can't install as it complains i don't have ia32-libs|lib32stdc++5

Try to do a apt-get remove --purge sp-auth then retry apt-get install sopcast-player.

c-m
November 29th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Same result unfortunately.

I tried to find ia32-libs|lib32stdc++5 in synaptic but they aren't there.

My apt list is as follows:

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ helena main upstream import
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ karmic partner
deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ karmic free non-free

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

flyguy97
November 29th, 2009, 02:57 PM
Same result unfortunately.

I tried to find ia32-libs|lib32stdc++5 in synaptic but they aren't there.

My apt list is as follows:

deb http://packages.linuxmint.com/ helena main upstream import
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-updates main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ karmic-security main restricted universe multiverse
deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ karmic partner
deb http://packages.medibuntu.org/ karmic free non-free

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

If your mint distribution is based on Karmic then replace the part of my ppa line that reads jaunty with karmic. ia-libs32 no longer includes lib32stdc++5 in Karmic, my ppa provides this package. Let me know how it works for you.

Cheers,
Jason

c-m
November 29th, 2009, 03:10 PM
Works perfectly. Thanks.

flyguy97
November 29th, 2009, 03:15 PM
Works perfectly. Thanks.

No problem. Happy sopcsating!!

Cheers,
Jason

mantorpcity
December 2nd, 2009, 03:59 PM
Thanks for this app, got it working just in time to see my Spurs lose to Man U. Anyone know a command to get it to use vlc as the external player?

flyguy97
December 2nd, 2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks for this app, got it working just in time to see my Spurs lose to Man U. Anyone know a command to get it to use vlc as the external player?

I didn't write in anything special to handle an external player from the command line. However, if you launch it from the command line it should retain its previous configuration. In other words, configure for external player before trying to use from command line.

Cheers,
Jason

rattatti
December 6th, 2009, 03:50 PM
I had been using this great app for some time without any problems, but recently I have been having some problems. The thing is when I start a channel it does not seem to buffer enough to be watchable and I get these errors.

swScaler: Palette is not supported as output pixel format
[0xb5a009e0] swscale scale error: could not init SwScaler and/or allocate memory
[0x8e89ea8] pulse audio output: No. of Audio Channels: 2
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/VLCWidget.py", line 33, in handle_embed
self.player.set_xwindow(self.window.xid)
AttributeError: 'MediaControl' object has no attribute 'set_xwindow'
[0x8d5a5b0] main input error: ES_OUT_SET_(GROUP_)PCR is called too late, increasing pts_delay to 1200 ms
[0x8d5a5b0] main input error: ES_OUT_RESET_PCR called
[0x8d5a5b0] main input error: ES_OUT_SET_(GROUP_)PCR is called too late, increasing pts_delay to 1802 ms
[0x8d5a5b0] main input error: ES_OUT_RESET_PCR called
I am running Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala, but I have another machine with 9.04 that runs sopcast-player without any problems.

Any ideas what I can do to get rid of the errors?

Thanks

flyguy97
December 6th, 2009, 07:06 PM

mantorpcity,

I apologize, it looks like I may have misread your post. The command to get vlc working is just vlc. You don't have to worry about adding the stream location, that is taken care of for you. If you want other options you can just add them in as command line switches. The following are some examples:

VLC with no switches

vlc

VLC always on top of other windows

vlc --video-on-top

VLC starting in fullscreen

vlc --fulscreen

With enough experimenting you should be able to get VLC to behave the way you would like, I'm pretty sure it is even possible to setup recording through the command-line switches. If you come up with some interesting uses please post. Thank you and happy sopcasting.

Cheers,
Jason

elmariachi
December 13th, 2009, 09:27 AM
Hi Jason,

Thanks for your work on this - it seems to be working after doing all the purging and one extra step: clicking the Channel Refresh arrow next to the Sopcast Player Channel Guide.

For your information, like Chaopoch, I'm also in Taiwan.

Mike

flyguy97
December 13th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Hi Jason,

Thanks for your work on this - it seems to be working after doing all the purging and one extra step: clicking the Channel Refresh arrow next to the Sopcast Player Channel Guide.

For your information, like Chaopoch, I'm also in Taiwan.

Mike

Glad to hear you got this working. Through some of these issues I was able to find a better understanding of Taiwan's political standing with China, very interesting! An unanticipated but welcome result of the open source community!

Cheers,
Jason

misGnomer
December 22nd, 2009, 08:35 PM
I had a working configuration of Sopcast and VLC ( 0.9.8 ) on Hardy 8.04 LTS, but seeing that you had put updated versions of both on your PPA I thought I'd give it a go.

Unfortunately the Hardy package of VLC 0.9.9 (which is borrowed from Christoph Korn's PPA) seems to have a quarrel with itself, ending up with broken packages.

Short version:

E: /var/cache/apt/archives/libvlccore0_0.9.9a-1~ppa1~hardy5_i386.deb: trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libvlccore.so.0', which is also in package libvlc0
E: /var/cache/apt/archives/libvlc2_0.9.9a-1~ppa1~hardy5_i386.deb: trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libvlc.so.2', which is also in package libvlc0

Long version:

Unpacking libvlccore0 (from .../libvlccore0_0.9.9a-1~ppa1~hardy5_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libvlccore0_0.9.9a-1~ppa1~hardy5_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libvlccore.so.0', which is also in package libvlc0
Unpacking libvlc2 (from .../libvlc2_0.9.9a-1~ppa1~hardy5_i386.deb) ...
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libvlc2_0.9.9a-1~ppa1~hardy5_i386.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite `/usr/lib/libvlc.so.2', which is also in package libvlc0
Selecting previously deselected package libvlccore-dev.
Unpacking libvlccore-dev (from .../libvlccore-dev_0.9.9a-1~ppa1~hardy5_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libvlc-dev.
Unpacking libvlc-dev (from .../libvlc-dev_0.9.9a-1~ppa1~hardy5_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package sp-auth.
Unpacking sp-auth (from .../sp-auth_3.2.6~ppa1~hardy8_i386.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package sopcast-player.
Unpacking sopcast-player (from .../sopcast-player_0.3.3~ppa1~hardy3_i386.deb) ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
/var/cache/apt/archives/libvlccore0_0.9.9a-1~ppa1~hardy5_i386.deb
/var/cache/apt/archives/libvlc2_0.9.9a-1~ppa1~hardy5_i386.deb
E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libvlccore-dev:
libvlccore-dev depends on libvlccore0 (= 0.9.9a-1~ppa1~hardy5); however:
Package libvlccore0 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing libvlccore-dev (--configure):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Setting up sp-auth (3.2.6~ppa1~hardy8) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of vlc-nox:
vlc-nox depends on libvlc2 (>= 0.9.1); however:
Package libvlc2 is not installed.
vlc-nox depends on libvlccore0 (>= 0.9.1); however:
dpkg: error processing vlc-nox (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of libvlc-dev:
libvlc-dev depends on libvlc2 (= 0.9.9a-1~ppa1~hardy5); however:
Package libvlc2 is not installed.
libvlc-dev depends on libvlccore-dev; however:
Package libvlccore-dev is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing libvlc-dev (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of vlc:
vlc depends on libvlccore0 (>= 0.9.1); however:
vlc depends on vlc-nox (= 0.9.9a-1~ppa1~hardy5); however:
Package vlc-nox is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing vlc (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of sopcast-player:
sopcast-player depends on libvlc-dev; however:
Package libvlc-dev is not configured yet.
sopcast-player depends on vlc (>= 0.9.4); however:
Package vlc is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing sopcast-player (--configure):

In fact despite broken packages I could still run VLC 0.9.9 (as a temporary test), but sopcast-player failed to start altogether.

$ sopcast-player
File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.py", line 38, in <module>
import vlc
File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/vlc.py", line 46, in <module>
dll=ctypes.CDLL('libvlc.so')
File "/usr/lib/python2.5/ctypes/__init__.py", line 348, in __init__
self._handle = _dlopen(self._name, mode)
OSError: libvlc.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
$

Apparently I've been naughty so no Sopcast for me over the holidays. :-\"

hullpaul
January 8th, 2010, 11:57 PM
thank you, thank you thank you, couldnt get it to work no matter what i tried (tho i only switched to linux a week ago) but this loaded straight away and just in time for this weekends football, which has just been cancelled ffs!

flyguy97
January 9th, 2010, 08:11 AM
thank you, thank you thank you, couldnt get it to work no matter what i tried (tho i only switched to linux a week ago) but this loaded straight away and just in time for this weekends football, which has just been cancelled ffs!

hullpaul,

Glad to hear it worked out for your and welcome to the Linux community.

Warm Regards,
Jason

psablo
January 12th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Great App!
I was skeptical at first due to the third party repository but, what the heck I'll trust you.

flyguy97
January 12th, 2010, 07:12 AM
Great App!
I was skeptical at first due to the third party repository but, what the heck I'll trust you.

psablo,

Glad to have you on board, I hope you like the app. Let me know if you have any troubles or any suggestions on how to improve SopCast Player.

Cheers,
Jason

nicknefarious
January 24th, 2010, 06:03 AM

Cheers,
Jason

I too am in China... (Taiwan is or isnt' a part of China - not my argument).

I installed Sopcast and had the problem that said the Channel server was down and changed from the http://www.sopcast.com/gchlxml to the http://channel.sopcast.com/gchlxml and channels seem to be working. I did have a problem when I tried to change to another channel the python package started eating up 100% of one of my processors I had to force quit it. Also I have two screens opening with the feed presented on both of them. How do I fix this? Or do I just need to read further?

Cheers,

Nick

flyguy97
January 24th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Nick,

Did you install from my PPA. It sounds like your running an older version of SopCast Player. See the instructions at [http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/wiki/Installation] for detailed instructions on how to ensure your running the latest version of SopCast Player. Please let me know if this works for you.

Warm regards,
Jason

I too am in China... (Taiwan is or isnt' a part of China - not my argument).

I installed Sopcast and had the problem that said the Channel server was down and changed from the http://www.sopcast.com/gchlxml to the http://channel.sopcast.com/gchlxml and channels seem to be working. I did have a problem when I tried to change to another channel the python package started eating up 100% of one of my processors I had to force quit it. Also I have two screens opening with the feed presented on both of them. How do I fix this? Or do I just need to read further?

Cheers,

Nick

nicknefarious
January 25th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Nick,

Did you install from my PPA. It sounds like your running an older version of SopCast Player. See the instructions at [http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/wiki/Installation] for detailed instructions on how to ensure your running the latest version of SopCast Player. Please let me know if this works for you.

Warm regards,
Jason
Hi Jason,

You were right. When I ran the update this morning your PPA kicked in and wanted to download and install your newer packages and this caused a conflict with the existing packages. I uninstalled and removed all. Reloaded and then reinstalled sopcast-player and sp-auth all from your PPA. Now the channel guide appears, it is able to update the channel database but most of the channels do not load. They are forever connecting.

I was able to open this - http://channel.sopcast.com/gchlxml in my browser (unable to surf to the default channel server) and retrieve a channel from it and use cut and paste it in the 'open' function of sopcast's menu and it worked - but I fear the same as chaopoch. I am unable to open them through the channel guide. One of the Chinese channels opened through the guide initially - but it took a LONG time - maybe 5 minutes and I think (sorry I am not sure) it was while I still had the default channel server url in.

Update: Just got National Geographic Page to load by finding the url in the browser page (as above) and cutting and pasting across. It still took 2 or 3 minutes though. It seems I cannot reconnect (added note - connected after 8 minutes) to this channel by clicking on the channel in the channel guide. So two questions... What is the problem with the channel guide? Is it normal for channels to take that long to connect? I used to use sopcast in XP also here in China and it was quick and quality. How can I fix this? Sorry I know that was three...

Cheers,

Nick

PS - Sorry I should have said that your new packages removed the two screen problem. The only problem I seem to have now is this channel loading time.

flyguy97
January 25th, 2010, 04:31 AM
Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Channel Guide. Enter the address you stated that is working correctly, http://channel.sopcast.com/gchlxml, into the Channel Guide URL text box. Refresh and please let me know how that works for you.

Warm regards,
Jason

Hi Jason,

You were right. When I ran the update this morning your PPA kicked in and wanted to download and install your newer packages and this caused a conflict with the existing packages. I uninstalled and removed all. Reloaded and then reinstalled sopcast-player and sp-auth all from your PPA. Now the channel guide appears, it is able to update the channel database but most of the channels do not load. They are forever connecting.

I was able to open this - http://channel.sopcast.com/gchlxml in my browser (unable to surf to the default channel server) and retrieve a channel from it and use cut and paste it in the 'open' function of sopcast's menu and it worked - but I fear the same as chaopoch. I am unable to open them through the channel guide. One of the Chinese channels opened through the guide initially - but it took a LONG time - maybe 5 minutes and I think (sorry I am not sure) it was while I still had the default channel server url in.

Update: Just got National Geographic Page to load by finding the url in the browser page (as above) and cutting and pasting across. It still took 2 or 3 minutes though. It seems I cannot reconnect (added note - connected after 8 minutes) to this channel by clicking on the channel in the channel guide. So two questions... What is the problem with the channel guide? Is it normal for channels to take that long to connect? I used to use sopcast in XP also here in China and it was quick and quality. How can I fix this? Sorry I know that was three...

Cheers,

Nick

PS - Sorry I should have said that your new packages removed the two screen problem. The only problem I seem to have now is this channel loading time.

nicknefarious
January 25th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Go to Edit -> Preferences -> Channel Guide. Enter the address you stated that is working correctly, http://channel.sopcast.com/gchlxml, into the Channel Guide URL text box. Refresh and please let me know how that works for you.

Warm regards,
Jason
Again apologies... I should have been more specific. I have already done this as per your previous instructions to Chaopoch and others.

The problem exists still. Even other sop links take forever or don't load at all.

Should I be able to open this in sopcast? - sop://broker1.sopcast.com:3912/77551 - I can't. Most of the others take a LONG time or don't open (most never open - just always connecting then retrying). Either through direct entry of the sop url or through the channel guide.

Cheers for your quick reply help too...

Nick

max69
January 25th, 2010, 07:32 PM
Works a treat!!! Thanks a lot!!!!

Banhammer
January 25th, 2010, 08:40 PM
Just got this set up and works great. Can't thank you enough for making this happen.

flyguy97
January 26th, 2010, 06:13 AM
max69, Banhammer,

I am glad you both enjoy the application. Please let me know if you see anything that can be improved.

Warm Regards,
Jason

Taman
February 6th, 2010, 03:57 PM
Hi all. I've the same problem like Chaopoch too. I try every method you suggest but it still connect/retry.

when i try to run sopcast-player in terminal and wait for a long time. I got this message in terminal

Canto39
February 7th, 2010, 07:09 AM
I couldnt get this to work until I set it to play through VLC and it worked perfectly! Thanks for this.

mercier
February 7th, 2010, 05:00 PM
first of all, thanks jason for your hard work. sopcast on linux was the last thing that kept me from fully switching from windows ;)

i use your app on linuxmint 8, works as a charm. i do have one issue that bugs me - i am unable to change aspect ratio on streams i watch, either through mplayer, or external player - in my case vlc.

can you, or anyone else, help me solve this?

(i went through vlc --help files and terminal commands, but couldn't find a solution)

Thanks in advance

M.

flyguy97
February 8th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Mercier,

I am glad to hear that you are having a positive experience with Linux, I am very excited that SopCast Player helped influence your decision to switch.

About your question addressing aspect ratio. I never really considered if that is possible. The stream itself is only offered in one format but it is conceivable to use vlc or mplayer to crop the video into an aspect ratio of your choice. I've included a link that details how to change the default fullscreen aspect ratio in vlc. I will also look into adding a setting that will allow the user to choose a standard aspect ratio. No promises on when I will be able to release an update though. Things at work are a bit busy right now.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=725160

Warm Regards,
Jason

first of all, thanks jason for your hard work. sopcast on linux was the last thing that kept me from fully switching from windows ;)

i use your app on linuxmint 8, works as a charm. i do have one issue that bugs me - i am unable to change aspect ratio on streams i watch, either through mplayer, or external player - in my case vlc.

can you, or anyone else, help me solve this?

(i went through vlc --help files and terminal commands, but couldn't find a solution)

Thanks in advance

M.

flyguy97
February 8th, 2010, 06:39 PM
All,

I really appreciate all the warm remarks about this program. In my role as the main programmer of SopCast Player I often hear kind words about my efforts which I truly appreciate. However, my contribution to this project is just a small part of the community effort that has driven its development. Currently this program has been translated into 34 languages. People have contributed code, ideas, bug submissions and artwork to make this program what it is today. The success of this project is a direct reflection on the quality of the individuals that I have been blessed to work with. I sincerely thank everyone that has contributed to this project.

Warmest Regards,
Jason

mockingbird
February 8th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I'm having a problem when I use this app, and it seems to happen with certain channels...

When I connect to them I lose my system audio and even restarting alsa doesn't restore the sound -- I have to reboot.

It's probably VLC's fault. I'm having to use a lenny-backport version because Lenny is horribly outdated.

flyguy97
February 8th, 2010, 07:32 PM
I'm having a problem when I use this app, and it seems to happen with certain channels...

When I connect to them I lose my system audio and even restarting alsa doesn't restore the sound -- I have to reboot.

It's probably VLC's fault. I'm having to use a lenny-backport version because Lenny is horribly outdated.

mockingbird,

You are the second user to report this issue. I believe it is a codec issue. It concerns me however that you stated you are loosing you system audio. Please clarify if you are unable to hear audio with SopCast Player or if it bringing down the audio for your whole system. Assuming it is a codec issue it will be a fairly simple fix if you are using the launchpad ppa for SopCast Player. I will just include whatever codec as a prereq for SopCast Player. If you are not using the ppa you will have to check the google code site for updates. I will be sure to keep everyone posted on the status of this bug.

Warm Regards,
Jason

mockingbird
February 10th, 2010, 07:45 PM
Thanks for the response. I am losing all system audio, as I indicated that I tried to restart ALSA when this happened but to no avail.

I'm pretty sure it's related to the old version ov VLC I am using (0.9.9). I am stuck with it at the current moment because that's the only thing available from the Lenny backports.

flyguy97
February 10th, 2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the response. I am losing all system audio, as I indicated that I tried to restart ALSA when this happened but to no avail.

I'm pretty sure it's related to the old version ov VLC I am using (0.9.9). I am stuck with it at the current moment because that's the only thing available from the Lenny backports.

I will see if it is possible to port over a newer version of vlc. Please give me the weekend.

Cheers,
Jason

hissyfut
February 14th, 2010, 02:55 AM
is something needed here?

$ sopcast-player
<code>
(sopcast-player.py:): libglade-WARNING **: could not find glade file '/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/../ui/SopCastClientMissing.glade'
File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.py", line 1781, in <module>
pySop.main()
File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.py", line 508, in main
self.show_missing_sopcast_client_dialog()
File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.py", line 527, in show_missing_sopcast_client_dialog
tree = gtk.glade.XML(gladefile, "sopcast-client-missing-dialog")
RuntimeError: could not create GladeXML object </code>

mockingbird
February 17th, 2010, 06:41 AM
I will see if it is possible to port over a newer version of vlc. Please give me the weekend.

Cheers,
Jason

Hi Jason,

Did you have any luck with this?

Thanks

thongkh
February 22nd, 2010, 04:12 PM
mockingbird,

You are the second user to report this issue. I believe it is a codec issue. It concerns me however that you stated you are loosing you system audio. Please clarify if you are unable to hear audio with SopCast Player or if it bringing down the audio for your whole system. Assuming it is a codec issue it will be a fairly simple fix if you are using the launchpad ppa for SopCast Player. I will just include whatever codec as a prereq for SopCast Player. If you are not using the ppa you will have to check the google code site for updates. I will be sure to keep everyone posted on the status of this bug.

Warm Regards,
Jason

help, i lost my SopCast player audio, i using SopCast Player 0.3.3 in my Ubuntu 9.10, i have launchpad ppa for SopCast Player, and i just check the update, but i still lost my SopCast Player audio... please help... :(
btw, i only cant hear audio frm SopCast Player, others audio frm others programe works fine.

*** update ***
i just did my update again today, i dont know what did i updated, but my SopCast Player now have audio... everythings works great now!!!... thankz bro ;)

mockingbird
March 7th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Hi Jason,

Did you have any luck with this?

Thanks

Unlikely. The newer VLCs have dependencies that just won't fly with older versions of Debian. I will need Squeeze if I want to run anything past the early 1.x versions.

I answered my own question it seems :D

mercier
March 14th, 2010, 03:42 PM
Mercier,

I am glad to hear that you are having a positive experience with Linux, I am very excited that SopCast Player helped influence your decision to switch.

About your question addressing aspect ratio. I never really considered if that is possible. The stream itself is only offered in one format but it is conceivable to use vlc or mplayer to crop the video into an aspect ratio of your choice. I've included a link that details how to change the default fullscreen aspect ratio in vlc. I will also look into adding a setting that will allow the user to choose a standard aspect ratio. No promises on when I will be able to release an update though. Things at work are a bit busy right now.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=725160

Warm Regards,
Jason

well, never mind. i have vlc in settings as a separate player and it does open as vlc-proper, with all the options, including change of aspect ratio.

good work, jason.

c-m
March 16th, 2010, 07:27 PM
I'm back struggling with this again. Had to reinstall Mint (based and karmic)

I have added the repository to my sources.list

I ran apt-get update but it returned:

W: GPG error: http://ppa.launchpad.net karmic Release: The following signatures couldn't be verified because the public key is not available: NO_PUBKEY 932062C9CD30EE56

So I tried installing the key (whatever that is)

sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys CD30EE56
Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys CD30EE56
gpg: requesting key CD30EE56 from hkp server keyserver.ubuntu.com
gpg: keyserver timed out
gpg: keyserver receive failed: keyserver error

clive littlewood
March 22nd, 2010, 07:02 PM
Hi

Has anyone managed to get sopcast player installed in Lucid ???

If so how (I just get strings of missing dependences)

Thanks in hope

Clive

PS. Fantastic player Jason thanks for your efforts.

PS.PS. Have sorted out by using the Lucid PPA and installing from synaptic. THANKS

afrodeity
March 26th, 2010, 01:11 PM
This looks like a conflict with the new VLC 1.1

sopcast-player
[0x97b73c8] main libvlc error: No modules were found, refusing to start. Check that you properly gave a module path with --plugin-path.
File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.py", line 1780, in <module>
pySop = pySopCast()
File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.py", line 368, in __init__
self.vlc = VLCWidget.VLCWidget(*p)
File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/VLCWidget.py", line 28, in __init__
self.player=instance.mediacontrol_new_from_instanc e()
AttributeError: 'NoneType' object has no attribute 'mediacontrol_new_from_instance'

Not sure exactly how to do this:

sopcast-player --plugin-path ~/.local/share/vlc/lua/extensions/
Segmentation fault

sopcast-player --plugin-path
Usage: sopcast-player [SOP_ADDRESS] [IN-BOUND_PORT OUT-BOUND_PORT]

Rabcnesbit
March 30th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Ok, completely new to Linux, and using Ubuntu 9.10.
I have downloaded this software - Sopcast player 0.3.3 (complete file name is sopcast-player-0.3.3-1mdv2010.0.i586.rpm) from http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/, so I hope I have downloaded the right one. I followed the installation instructions, first installing the PPA and then the Sopcast player (didn’t install the Medibuntu repositories at this stage), using the command lines as instructed. Managed to figure out that these command lines go in the ‘Terminal’. Like I stated before, I am completely new to Linux (have been using windows like most), so this is all still Greek to me. Everything seemed to have gone fine in the terminal window, and I subsequently exited/closed the window. Now, I can’t figure out where this ‘installed’ Sopcast player is, or how to launch it? Any advice please.

Many thanks

clive littlewood
March 30th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Hi

If you have added the PPA for your ubuntu version then the sopcast player should appear in synaptic.

Or from terminal sudo apt-get install sopcast-player

This will also install VLC as the built in player.

I would make sure medibuntu repos are added to your sources.

You should not need the rpm file.

Hope this helps

Clive

Rabcnesbit
March 30th, 2010, 10:18 PM
Thanks Clive,

Followed your suggestions (though not really sure what i was doing) but have managed to get it to start. Now let's go try and get some links working. :)

Cheers

clive littlewood
March 31st, 2010, 12:28 PM
Hi

To add a link just click file > open then copy paste the link into the box.

Glad your up and running.

By adding the PPA you will now get any updates automatically through update manager.

Clive

afrodeity
March 31st, 2010, 04:24 PM
man sopcast-player
No manual entry for sopcast-player
See 'man 7 undocumented' for help when manual pages are not available.

afrodeity
April 4th, 2010, 08:03 PM
Tried removing sopcast-player and sp-auth and reinstalling but no luck. Sigh.

afrodeity
April 4th, 2010, 10:52 PM
I've downgraded sopcast because it was working with an earlier version

now I get this error

File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.py", line 37, in <module>
import vlc
ImportError: libvlc.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

searching for libvlc.so.2 produces nothing.

searching for libvlc, I have libvlc.so.5 in /usr/lib
and libvlc.so.5.0.0 also in /usr/lib

Should I make a symbolic link, and how?
and

philipos
April 8th, 2010, 11:23 AM
hey, following your instructions i got the following;

philipos@philipos:~$ echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu `lsb_release -cs` main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
philipos@philipos:~$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys CD30EE56
Executing: gpg --ignore-time-conflict --no-options --no-default-keyring --secret-keyring /etc/apt/secring.gpg --trustdb-name /etc/apt/trustdb.gpg --keyring /etc/apt/trusted.gpg --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys CD30EE56
gpg: key CD30EE56: public key "Launchpad PPA for flyguy97" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1 (RSA: 1)
philipos@philipos:~$ sudo apt-get install sopcast-player
Building dependency tree
E: Couldn't find package sopcast-player
Building dependency tree

any idea what's gone wrong here?

joanmunoz
April 8th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Hi!

I have the latest version of Sopcast and VLC through the repos (http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu karmic main), but I can't manage to launch the VLC window as external player. What is it supposed I have to do? I've put 'vlc.desktop' in the external player option of the Preferences menu, but got no results.

Any help?

Thanks!

Joan

Linux joan-laptop 2.6.31-20-generic #58-Ubuntu SMP Fri Mar 12 05:23:09 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

flyguy97
April 10th, 2010, 10:45 AM
After adding repositories you must do a:

$ sudo apt-get update

This will pull all the latest package information from the PPA, until this step is completed apt doesn't know about the packages contained in the ppa.

Cheers,
Jason

hey, following your instructions i got the following;

philipos@philipos:~$ echo "deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu `lsb_release -cs` main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu karmic main
philipos@philipos:~$ sudo apt-key adv --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com --recv-keys CD30EE56
gpg: key CD30EE56: public key "Launchpad PPA for flyguy97" imported
gpg: Total number processed: 1
gpg: imported: 1 (RSA: 1)
Building dependency tree
Building dependency tree

any idea what's gone wrong here?

flyguy97
April 10th, 2010, 10:46 AM
What distribution of linux are you running?

Ok, completely new to Linux, and using Ubuntu 9.10.
I have downloaded this software - Sopcast player 0.3.3 (complete file name is sopcast-player-0.3.3-1mdv2010.0.i586.rpm) from http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/, so I hope I have downloaded the right one. I followed the installation instructions, first installing the PPA and then the Sopcast player (didn’t install the Medibuntu repositories at this stage), using the command lines as instructed. Managed to figure out that these command lines go in the ‘Terminal’. Like I stated before, I am completely new to Linux (have been using windows like most), so this is all still Greek to me. Everything seemed to have gone fine in the terminal window, and I subsequently exited/closed the window. Now, I can’t figure out where this ‘installed’ Sopcast player is, or how to launch it? Any advice please.

Many thanks

oobuntoo
April 10th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I'm having problem trying to associate sop protocol with sopcast-player in Firefox 3.6.3. I can run sopcast-player by itself just fine on Lucid 10.04. I've already added the following via "about:config":

string name: network.protocol-handler.app.sop
string value: sopcast-player

When I tried to open a sopcast link, I get this message from Firefox:

"Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (sop) isn't associated with any program."

Firefox didn't give me dialog box where I can choose application like it used to.

afrodeity
April 10th, 2010, 09:38 PM
Nobody seems to be helping me with my sopcast problem.

So now I found a qt version. I have an early version which can't download the channel guide, running.

I am therefore trying to compile the latest release

I have installed the Qt3-dev files

but get this error:

make
g++ -c -pipe -g -Wall -W -O2 -D_REENTRANT -DALSA -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_SHARED -DQT_TABLET_SUPPORT -I/usr/share/qt3/mkspecs/default -I. -I. -I/usr/include/qt3 -I.moc/ -o .obj/channel.o channel.cpp
g++ -c -pipe -g -Wall -W -O2 -D_REENTRANT -DALSA -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_SHARED -DQT_TABLET_SUPPORT -I/usr/share/qt3/mkspecs/default -I. -I. -I/usr/include/qt3 -I.moc/ -o .obj/config.o config.cpp
g++ -c -pipe -g -Wall -W -O2 -D_REENTRANT -DALSA -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_SHARED -DQT_TABLET_SUPPORT -I/usr/share/qt3/mkspecs/default -I. -I. -I/usr/include/qt3 -I.moc/ -o .obj/playfork.o playfork.cpp
playfork.cpp: In member function ‘void PlayFork::onPlayerExit()’:
playfork.cpp:117: warning: suggest explicit braces to avoid ambiguous ‘else’
g++ -c -pipe -g -Wall -W -O2 -D_REENTRANT -DALSA -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_SHARED -DQT_TABLET_SUPPORT -I/usr/share/qt3/mkspecs/default -I. -I. -I/usr/include/qt3 -I.moc/ -o .obj/loadsave.o loadsave.cpp
loadsave.cpp: In member function ‘void LoadSave::saveopenstate()’:
loadsave.cpp:130: warning: ignoring return value of ‘ssize_t write(int, const void*, size_t)’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
g++ -c -pipe -g -Wall -W -O2 -D_REENTRANT -DALSA -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_SHARED -DQT_TABLET_SUPPORT -I/usr/share/qt3/mkspecs/default -I. -I. -I/usr/include/qt3 -I.moc/ -o .obj/main.o main.cpp
main.cpp: In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:
main.cpp:47: error: ‘srand’ was not declared in this scope
make: *** [.obj/main.o] Error 1

flyguy97
April 11th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Nobody seems to be helping me with my sopcast problem.

So now I found a qt version. I have an early version which can't download the channel guide, running.

I am therefore trying to compile the latest release

I have installed the Qt3-dev files

but get this error:

make
g++ -c -pipe -g -Wall -W -O2 -D_REENTRANT -DALSA -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_SHARED -DQT_TABLET_SUPPORT -I/usr/share/qt3/mkspecs/default -I. -I. -I/usr/include/qt3 -I.moc/ -o .obj/channel.o channel.cpp
g++ -c -pipe -g -Wall -W -O2 -D_REENTRANT -DALSA -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_SHARED -DQT_TABLET_SUPPORT -I/usr/share/qt3/mkspecs/default -I. -I. -I/usr/include/qt3 -I.moc/ -o .obj/config.o config.cpp
g++ -c -pipe -g -Wall -W -O2 -D_REENTRANT -DALSA -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_SHARED -DQT_TABLET_SUPPORT -I/usr/share/qt3/mkspecs/default -I. -I. -I/usr/include/qt3 -I.moc/ -o .obj/playfork.o playfork.cpp
playfork.cpp: In member function ‘void PlayFork::onPlayerExit()’:
playfork.cpp:117: warning: suggest explicit braces to avoid ambiguous ‘else’
g++ -c -pipe -g -Wall -W -O2 -D_REENTRANT -DALSA -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_SHARED -DQT_TABLET_SUPPORT -I/usr/share/qt3/mkspecs/default -I. -I. -I/usr/include/qt3 -I.moc/ -o .obj/loadsave.o loadsave.cpp
loadsave.cpp: In member function ‘void LoadSave::saveopenstate()’:
loadsave.cpp:130: warning: ignoring return value of ‘ssize_t write(int, const void*, size_t)’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result
g++ -c -pipe -g -Wall -W -O2 -D_REENTRANT -DALSA -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_THREAD_SUPPORT -DQT_SHARED -DQT_TABLET_SUPPORT -I/usr/share/qt3/mkspecs/default -I. -I. -I/usr/include/qt3 -I.moc/ -o .obj/main.o main.cpp
main.cpp: In function ‘int main(int, char**)’:
main.cpp:47: error: ‘srand’ was not declared in this scope
make: *** [.obj/main.o] Error 1

I would be happy to help you with your SopCast Player issues. What version of Ubuntu are you running and what is the output at the terminal when you run sopcast-player?

Cheers,
Jason

flyguy97
April 11th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I'm having problem trying to associate sop protocol with sopcast-player in Firefox 3.6.3. I can run sopcast-player by itself just fine on Lucid 10.04. I've already added the following via "about:config":

"Firefox doesn't know how to open this address, because the protocol (sop) isn't associated with any program."

Firefox didn't give me dialog box where I can choose application like it used to.

Please try to uninstall sopcast-player then re-install from the command line. Please post the output.

Cheers,
Jason

afrodeity
April 11th, 2010, 12:55 PM
I would be happy to help you with your SopCast Player issues. What version of Ubuntu are you running and what is the output at the terminal when you run sopcast-player?

Cheers,
Jason

$ sopcast-player
pySop = pySopCast()
AttributeError: 'Instance' object has no attribute 'mediacontrol_new_from_instance'

This is for the GTK sopcast player, I think it has something to do with VLC 1.1 which has slightly different architecture than earlier VLC.
First time this happened I got a message about the plugin path. Not sure how to fix it.

flyguy97
April 11th, 2010, 07:10 PM
$ sopcast-player
pySop = pySopCast()
AttributeError: 'Instance' object has no attribute 'mediacontrol_new_from_instance'

This is for the GTK sopcast player, I think it has something to do with VLC 1.1 which has slightly different architecture than earlier VLC.
First time this happened I got a message about the plugin path. Not sure how to fix it.

The problem is the python bindings (used to access vlc) has been updated for version 1.1.x. As of this moment I am unable to figure out how to gracefully deal with two different versions of the bindings (the newest version will only work with vlc 1.1.x while the older bindings are required for anything prior). Be assured that I am working to fix this issue. Would you like to assist me in the troubleshooting?

Cheers,
Jason

flyguy97
April 11th, 2010, 07:18 PM
All,

The python bindings are currently being updated for vlc 1.1.x. An change in the underlying data structures have forced the bindings team to retool the bindings. The team is currently waiting on the vlc API to stabilise before a release is issued. Sorry for any inconvenience. I will be sure to update SopCast Player as soon as the new bindings are released.

Cheers,
Jason

flyguy97
April 11th, 2010, 07:30 PM

Did you install from my ppa?

frokki
April 11th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Did you install from my ppa?

I did, and instead of opening a channel, it goes to that endless Connecting -> Retrying channel -loop.
What should I do next/instead?

oobuntoo
April 12th, 2010, 03:58 AM
Please try to uninstall sopcast-player then re-install from the command line. Please post the output.

Cheers,
Jason

Yes, I installed it from the PPA. I reinstalled and it still doesn't work. Here's the output from reinstall:

kwan@sexbomb:~$ sudo apt-get install sopcast-player
[sudo] password for kwan:
Building dependency tree
The following extra packages will be installed:
gconf2 lib32stdc++5 libass4 libavc1394-0 libcddb2 libdca0 libdvbpsi5 libebml0 liblua5.1-0 libmatroska0 libnotify1 libraw1394-11
libsdl-image1.2 libsexy2 libshout3 libstartup-notification0 libtar libupnp3 libvlc-dev libvlc2 libvlccore-dev libvlccore2
libwnck-common libwnck22 libxcb-atom1 libxcb-aux0 libxcb-event1 libxcb-keysyms1 libxres1 notification-daemon sp-auth vlc vlc-data
vlc-nox vlc-plugin-pulse
Suggested packages:
gconf-defaults-service libraw1394-doc python-gnome2 mozilla-plugin-vlc videolan-doc
The following NEW packages will be installed:
gconf2 lib32stdc++5 libass4 libavc1394-0 libcddb2 libdca0 libdvbpsi5 libebml0 liblua5.1-0 libmatroska0 libnotify1 libraw1394-11
libsdl-image1.2 libsexy2 libshout3 libstartup-notification0 libtar libupnp3 libvlc-dev libvlc2 libvlccore-dev libvlccore2
libwnck-common libwnck22 libxcb-atom1 libxcb-aux0 libxcb-event1 libxcb-keysyms1 libxres1 notification-daemon sopcast-player sp-auth
vlc vlc-data vlc-nox vlc-plugin-pulse
0 upgraded, 36 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 14.5MB/14.7MB of archives.
After this operation, 47.8MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main gconf2 2.28.1-0ubuntu1 [62.0kB]
Get:2 http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu/ lucid/main lib32stdc++5 3.3.6~ppa~lucid2 [182kB]
Get:3 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libcddb2 1.3.2-0ubuntu1 [51.5kB]
Get:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libdvbpsi5 0.1.6-1 [35.2kB]
Get:5 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libebml0 0.7.7-3.1 [64.2kB]
Get:6 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main liblua5.1-0 5.1.4-5 [89.5kB]
Get:7 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libmatroska0 0.8.1-1.1 [206kB]
Get:8 http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu/ lucid/main sp-auth 3.2.6~ppa1~lucid7 [345kB]
Get:9 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libnotify1 0.4.5-1ubuntu3 [21.9kB]
Get:10 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libraw1394-11 2.0.4-1ubuntu2 [45.5kB]
Get:11 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libsdl-image1.2 1.2.10-1 [34.2kB]
Get:12 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libsexy2 0.1.11-2build2 [35.1kB]
Get:13 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libshout3 2.2.2-5ubuntu1 [40.2kB]
Get:14 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libxcb-atom1 0.3.6-1build1 [10.3kB]
Get:15 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libxcb-aux0 0.3.6-1build1 [8,962B]
Get:16 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libxcb-event1 0.3.6-1build1 [9,608B]
Get:17 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libstartup-notification0 0.10-1build1 [20.0kB]
Get:18 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libtar 1.2.11-6 [21.6kB]
Get:19 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe vlc-data 1.0.5-2ubuntu1 [7,128kB]
Get:20 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libvlccore2 1.0.5-2ubuntu1 [400kB]
Get:21 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libvlc2 1.0.5-2ubuntu1 [52.5kB]
Get:22 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libvlccore-dev 1.0.5-2ubuntu1 [582kB]
Get:23 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libvlc-dev 1.0.5-2ubuntu1 [76.3kB]
Get:24 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libwnck-common 1:2.30.0-0ubuntu1 [19.8kB]
Get:25 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libxres1 2:1.0.4-1 [11.5kB]
Get:26 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libwnck22 1:2.30.0-0ubuntu1 [120kB]
Get:27 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main notification-daemon 0.4.0-2ubuntu2 [61.3kB]
Get:28 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libass4 0.9.9-0ubuntu1 [55.8kB]
Get:29 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libavc1394-0 0.5.3-1build4 [22.9kB]
Get:30 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libdca0 0.0.5-3 [109kB]
Get:31 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libupnp3 1:1.6.6-4 [106kB]
Get:32 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe vlc-nox 1.0.5-2ubuntu1 [2,811kB]
Get:33 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libxcb-keysyms1 0.3.6-1build1 [8,390B]
Get:34 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe vlc 1.0.5-2ubuntu1 [1,622kB]
Get:35 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe vlc-plugin-pulse 1.0.5-2ubuntu1 [7,194B]
Fetched 14.5MB in 22s (656kB/s)
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
Selecting previously deselected package lib32stdc++5.
(Reading database ... 133634 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking lib32stdc++5 (from .../lib32stdc++5_3.3.6~ppa~lucid2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package gconf2.
Unpacking gconf2 (from .../gconf2_2.28.1-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libcddb2.
Unpacking libcddb2 (from .../libcddb2_1.3.2-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libdvbpsi5.
Unpacking libdvbpsi5 (from .../libdvbpsi5_0.1.6-1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libebml0.
Unpacking libebml0 (from .../libebml0_0.7.7-3.1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package liblua5.1-0.
Unpacking liblua5.1-0 (from .../liblua5.1-0_5.1.4-5_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libmatroska0.
Unpacking libmatroska0 (from .../libmatroska0_0.8.1-1.1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libnotify1.
Unpacking libnotify1 (from .../libnotify1_0.4.5-1ubuntu3_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libraw1394-11.
Unpacking libraw1394-11 (from .../libraw1394-11_2.0.4-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libsdl-image1.2.
Unpacking libsdl-image1.2 (from .../libsdl-image1.2_1.2.10-1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libsexy2.
Unpacking libsexy2 (from .../libsexy2_0.1.11-2build2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libshout3.
Unpacking libshout3 (from .../libshout3_2.2.2-5ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libxcb-atom1.
Unpacking libxcb-atom1 (from .../libxcb-atom1_0.3.6-1build1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libxcb-aux0.
Unpacking libxcb-aux0 (from .../libxcb-aux0_0.3.6-1build1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libxcb-event1.
Unpacking libxcb-event1 (from .../libxcb-event1_0.3.6-1build1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libstartup-notification0.
Unpacking libstartup-notification0 (from .../libstartup-notification0_0.10-1build1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libtar.
Unpacking libtar (from .../libtar_1.2.11-6_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package vlc-data.
Unpacking vlc-data (from .../vlc-data_1.0.5-2ubuntu1_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libvlccore2.
Unpacking libvlccore2 (from .../libvlccore2_1.0.5-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libvlc2.
Unpacking libvlc2 (from .../libvlc2_1.0.5-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking libvlccore-dev (from .../libvlccore-dev_1.0.5-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking libvlc-dev (from .../libvlc-dev_1.0.5-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libwnck-common.
Unpacking libwnck-common (from .../libwnck-common_1%3a2.30.0-0ubuntu1_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libxres1.
Unpacking libxres1 (from .../libxres1_2%3a1.0.4-1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libwnck22.
Unpacking libwnck22 (from .../libwnck22_1%3a2.30.0-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package notification-daemon.
Unpacking notification-daemon (from .../notification-daemon_0.4.0-2ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libass4.
Unpacking libass4 (from .../libass4_0.9.9-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libavc1394-0.
Unpacking libavc1394-0 (from .../libavc1394-0_0.5.3-1build4_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libdca0.
Unpacking libdca0 (from .../libdca0_0.0.5-3_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libupnp3.
Unpacking libupnp3 (from .../libupnp3_1%3a1.6.6-4_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package vlc-nox.
Unpacking vlc-nox (from .../vlc-nox_1.0.5-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libxcb-keysyms1.
Unpacking libxcb-keysyms1 (from .../libxcb-keysyms1_0.3.6-1build1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package vlc.
Unpacking vlc (from .../vlc_1.0.5-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package vlc-plugin-pulse.
Unpacking vlc-plugin-pulse (from .../vlc-plugin-pulse_1.0.5-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking sp-auth (from .../sp-auth_3.2.6~ppa1~lucid7_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking sopcast-player (from .../sopcast-player_0.4.0~ppa1~lucid4_amd64.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for hicolor-icon-theme ...
Setting up lib32stdc++5 (3.3.6~ppa~lucid2) ...

Setting up gconf2 (2.28.1-0ubuntu1) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/gconftool-2 to provide /usr/bin/gconftool (gconftool) in auto mode.

Setting up libcddb2 (1.3.2-0ubuntu1) ...

Setting up libdvbpsi5 (0.1.6-1) ...

Setting up libebml0 (0.7.7-3.1) ...

Setting up liblua5.1-0 (5.1.4-5) ...

Setting up libmatroska0 (0.8.1-1.1) ...

Setting up libnotify1 (0.4.5-1ubuntu3) ...

Setting up libraw1394-11 (2.0.4-1ubuntu2) ...

Setting up libsdl-image1.2 (1.2.10-1) ...

Setting up libsexy2 (0.1.11-2build2) ...

Setting up libshout3 (2.2.2-5ubuntu1) ...

Setting up libxcb-atom1 (0.3.6-1build1) ...

Setting up libxcb-aux0 (0.3.6-1build1) ...

Setting up libxcb-event1 (0.3.6-1build1) ...

Setting up libstartup-notification0 (0.10-1build1) ...

Setting up libtar (1.2.11-6) ...

Setting up vlc-data (1.0.5-2ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libvlccore2 (1.0.5-2ubuntu1) ...

Setting up libvlc2 (1.0.5-2ubuntu1) ...

Setting up libvlccore-dev (1.0.5-2ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libvlc-dev (1.0.5-2ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libwnck-common (1:2.30.0-0ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libxres1 (2:1.0.4-1) ...

Setting up libwnck22 (1:2.30.0-0ubuntu1) ...

Setting up notification-daemon (0.4.0-2ubuntu2) ...
notification-daemon: no process found

Setting up libass4 (0.9.9-0ubuntu1) ...

Setting up libavc1394-0 (0.5.3-1build4) ...

Setting up libdca0 (0.0.5-3) ...

Setting up libupnp3 (1:1.6.6-4) ...

Setting up vlc-nox (1.0.5-2ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libxcb-keysyms1 (0.3.6-1build1) ...

Setting up vlc (1.0.5-2ubuntu1) ...

Setting up vlc-plugin-pulse (1.0.5-2ubuntu1) ...
Setting up sp-auth (3.2.6~ppa1~lucid7) ...
Setting up sopcast-player (0.4.0~ppa1~lucid4) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
kwan@sexbomb:~$

flyguy97
April 12th, 2010, 05:20 AM
Yes, I installed it from the PPA. I reinstalled and it still doesn't work. Here's the output from reinstall:

kwan@sexbomb:~$ sudo apt-get install sopcast-player
[sudo] password for kwan:
Building dependency tree
libwnck-common libwnck22 libxcb-atom1 libxcb-aux0 libxcb-event1 libxcb-keysyms1 libxres1 notification-daemon sp-auth vlc vlc-data
vlc-nox vlc-plugin-pulse
Suggested packages:
gconf-defaults-service libraw1394-doc python-gnome2 mozilla-plugin-vlc videolan-doc
The following NEW packages will be installed:
libwnck-common libwnck22 libxcb-atom1 libxcb-aux0 libxcb-event1 libxcb-keysyms1 libxres1 notification-daemon sopcast-player sp-auth
vlc vlc-data vlc-nox vlc-plugin-pulse
0 upgraded, 36 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 14.5MB/14.7MB of archives.
After this operation, 47.8MB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
Get:1 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main gconf2 2.28.1-0ubuntu1 [62.0kB]
Get:2 http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu/ lucid/main lib32stdc++5 3.3.6~ppa~lucid2 [182kB]
Get:3 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libcddb2 1.3.2-0ubuntu1 [51.5kB]
Get:4 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libdvbpsi5 0.1.6-1 [35.2kB]
Get:5 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libebml0 0.7.7-3.1 [64.2kB]
Get:6 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main liblua5.1-0 5.1.4-5 [89.5kB]
Get:7 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libmatroska0 0.8.1-1.1 [206kB]
Get:8 http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu/ lucid/main sp-auth 3.2.6~ppa1~lucid7 [345kB]
Get:9 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libnotify1 0.4.5-1ubuntu3 [21.9kB]
Get:10 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libraw1394-11 2.0.4-1ubuntu2 [45.5kB]
Get:11 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libsdl-image1.2 1.2.10-1 [34.2kB]
Get:12 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libsexy2 0.1.11-2build2 [35.1kB]
Get:13 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libshout3 2.2.2-5ubuntu1 [40.2kB]
Get:14 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libxcb-atom1 0.3.6-1build1 [10.3kB]
Get:15 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libxcb-aux0 0.3.6-1build1 [8,962B]
Get:16 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libxcb-event1 0.3.6-1build1 [9,608B]
Get:17 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libstartup-notification0 0.10-1build1 [20.0kB]
Get:18 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libtar 1.2.11-6 [21.6kB]
Get:19 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe vlc-data 1.0.5-2ubuntu1 [7,128kB]
Get:20 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libvlccore2 1.0.5-2ubuntu1 [400kB]
Get:21 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libvlc2 1.0.5-2ubuntu1 [52.5kB]
Get:22 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libvlccore-dev 1.0.5-2ubuntu1 [582kB]
Get:23 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libvlc-dev 1.0.5-2ubuntu1 [76.3kB]
Get:24 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libwnck-common 1:2.30.0-0ubuntu1 [19.8kB]
Get:25 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libxres1 2:1.0.4-1 [11.5kB]
Get:26 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libwnck22 1:2.30.0-0ubuntu1 [120kB]
Get:27 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main notification-daemon 0.4.0-2ubuntu2 [61.3kB]
Get:28 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libass4 0.9.9-0ubuntu1 [55.8kB]
Get:29 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libavc1394-0 0.5.3-1build4 [22.9kB]
Get:30 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libdca0 0.0.5-3 [109kB]
Get:31 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe libupnp3 1:1.6.6-4 [106kB]
Get:32 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe vlc-nox 1.0.5-2ubuntu1 [2,811kB]
Get:33 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main libxcb-keysyms1 0.3.6-1build1 [8,390B]
Get:34 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe vlc 1.0.5-2ubuntu1 [1,622kB]
Get:35 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/universe vlc-plugin-pulse 1.0.5-2ubuntu1 [7,194B]
Fetched 14.5MB in 22s (656kB/s)
Extracting templates from packages: 100%
Selecting previously deselected package lib32stdc++5.
(Reading database ... 133634 files and directories currently installed.)
Selecting previously deselected package gconf2.
Unpacking gconf2 (from .../gconf2_2.28.1-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libcddb2.
Unpacking libcddb2 (from .../libcddb2_1.3.2-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libdvbpsi5.
Unpacking libdvbpsi5 (from .../libdvbpsi5_0.1.6-1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libebml0.
Unpacking libebml0 (from .../libebml0_0.7.7-3.1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package liblua5.1-0.
Unpacking liblua5.1-0 (from .../liblua5.1-0_5.1.4-5_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libmatroska0.
Unpacking libmatroska0 (from .../libmatroska0_0.8.1-1.1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libnotify1.
Unpacking libnotify1 (from .../libnotify1_0.4.5-1ubuntu3_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libraw1394-11.
Unpacking libraw1394-11 (from .../libraw1394-11_2.0.4-1ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libsdl-image1.2.
Unpacking libsdl-image1.2 (from .../libsdl-image1.2_1.2.10-1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libsexy2.
Unpacking libsexy2 (from .../libsexy2_0.1.11-2build2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libshout3.
Unpacking libshout3 (from .../libshout3_2.2.2-5ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libxcb-atom1.
Unpacking libxcb-atom1 (from .../libxcb-atom1_0.3.6-1build1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libxcb-aux0.
Unpacking libxcb-aux0 (from .../libxcb-aux0_0.3.6-1build1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libxcb-event1.
Unpacking libxcb-event1 (from .../libxcb-event1_0.3.6-1build1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libstartup-notification0.
Unpacking libstartup-notification0 (from .../libstartup-notification0_0.10-1build1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libtar.
Unpacking libtar (from .../libtar_1.2.11-6_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package vlc-data.
Unpacking vlc-data (from .../vlc-data_1.0.5-2ubuntu1_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libvlccore2.
Unpacking libvlccore2 (from .../libvlccore2_1.0.5-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libvlc2.
Unpacking libvlc2 (from .../libvlc2_1.0.5-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking libvlccore-dev (from .../libvlccore-dev_1.0.5-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking libvlc-dev (from .../libvlc-dev_1.0.5-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libwnck-common.
Unpacking libwnck-common (from .../libwnck-common_1%3a2.30.0-0ubuntu1_all.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libxres1.
Unpacking libxres1 (from .../libxres1_2%3a1.0.4-1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libwnck22.
Unpacking libwnck22 (from .../libwnck22_1%3a2.30.0-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package notification-daemon.
Unpacking notification-daemon (from .../notification-daemon_0.4.0-2ubuntu2_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libass4.
Unpacking libass4 (from .../libass4_0.9.9-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libavc1394-0.
Unpacking libavc1394-0 (from .../libavc1394-0_0.5.3-1build4_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libdca0.
Unpacking libdca0 (from .../libdca0_0.0.5-3_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libupnp3.
Unpacking libupnp3 (from .../libupnp3_1%3a1.6.6-4_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package vlc-nox.
Unpacking vlc-nox (from .../vlc-nox_1.0.5-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package libxcb-keysyms1.
Unpacking libxcb-keysyms1 (from .../libxcb-keysyms1_0.3.6-1build1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package vlc.
Unpacking vlc (from .../vlc_1.0.5-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Selecting previously deselected package vlc-plugin-pulse.
Unpacking vlc-plugin-pulse (from .../vlc-plugin-pulse_1.0.5-2ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
Unpacking sopcast-player (from .../sopcast-player_0.4.0~ppa1~lucid4_amd64.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up lib32stdc++5 (3.3.6~ppa~lucid2) ...

Setting up gconf2 (2.28.1-0ubuntu1) ...
update-alternatives: using /usr/bin/gconftool-2 to provide /usr/bin/gconftool (gconftool) in auto mode.

Setting up libcddb2 (1.3.2-0ubuntu1) ...

Setting up libdvbpsi5 (0.1.6-1) ...

Setting up libebml0 (0.7.7-3.1) ...

Setting up liblua5.1-0 (5.1.4-5) ...

Setting up libmatroska0 (0.8.1-1.1) ...

Setting up libnotify1 (0.4.5-1ubuntu3) ...

Setting up libraw1394-11 (2.0.4-1ubuntu2) ...

Setting up libsdl-image1.2 (1.2.10-1) ...

Setting up libsexy2 (0.1.11-2build2) ...

Setting up libshout3 (2.2.2-5ubuntu1) ...

Setting up libxcb-atom1 (0.3.6-1build1) ...

Setting up libxcb-aux0 (0.3.6-1build1) ...

Setting up libxcb-event1 (0.3.6-1build1) ...

Setting up libstartup-notification0 (0.10-1build1) ...

Setting up libtar (1.2.11-6) ...

Setting up vlc-data (1.0.5-2ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libvlccore2 (1.0.5-2ubuntu1) ...

Setting up libvlc2 (1.0.5-2ubuntu1) ...

Setting up libvlccore-dev (1.0.5-2ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libvlc-dev (1.0.5-2ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libwnck-common (1:2.30.0-0ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libxres1 (2:1.0.4-1) ...

Setting up libwnck22 (1:2.30.0-0ubuntu1) ...

Setting up notification-daemon (0.4.0-2ubuntu2) ...
notification-daemon: no process found

Setting up libass4 (0.9.9-0ubuntu1) ...

Setting up libavc1394-0 (0.5.3-1build4) ...

Setting up libdca0 (0.0.5-3) ...

Setting up libupnp3 (1:1.6.6-4) ...

Setting up vlc-nox (1.0.5-2ubuntu1) ...
Setting up libxcb-keysyms1 (0.3.6-1build1) ...

Setting up vlc (1.0.5-2ubuntu1) ...

Setting up vlc-plugin-pulse (1.0.5-2ubuntu1) ...
Setting up sp-auth (3.2.6~ppa1~lucid7) ...
Setting up sopcast-player (0.4.0~ppa1~lucid4) ...
Processing triggers for libc-bin ...
ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
kwan@sexbomb:~$

It sounds like something may have happened to gconf. gconf is where associations are kept. Try deleting your gconf (this WILL erase all user settings for current programs) and then through synaptic choose to fully remove sopcast-player and then reinstall. I have the same setup (10.04 with FF 3.6.3) and mine worked out of the box. Let me know how this works for you.

Regards,
Jason

afrodeity
April 12th, 2010, 06:56 PM
The problem is the python bindings (used to access vlc) has been updated for version 1.1.x. As of this moment I am unable to figure out how to gracefully deal with two different versions of the bindings (the newest version will only work with vlc 1.1.x while the older bindings are required for anything prior). Be assured that I am working to fix this issue. Would you like to assist me in the troubleshooting?

Cheers,
Jason

Aha, the python bindings. Perhaps Sopcast needs to be branched for the post-VLC-1.1x expansion?

Thanks Jason, I can assist as much as possible. Tell me what you need me to do. I am a bit of a novice as far as python is concerned, your app rocks (when it works).

;)

oobuntoo
April 13th, 2010, 01:46 AM
It sounds like something may have happened to gconf. gconf is where associations are kept. Try deleting your gconf (this WILL erase all user settings for current programs) and then through synaptic choose to fully remove sopcast-player and then reinstall. I have the same setup (10.04 with FF 3.6.3) and mine worked out of the box. Let me know how this works for you.

Regards,
Jason

I'm using KDE (Kubuntu) and my .gconf folder is empty. Maybe this is the reason, but it worked before under 9.10.

zordo
April 25th, 2010, 09:43 PM
Having trouble installing sp-auth. Synaptic tells me that its dependant on libstdc++5 , and that is unistallable for me(i have libstdc++6). Im running 10.04.

howefield
April 25th, 2010, 09:47 PM
Having trouble installing sp-auth.

Have you added the PPA for Lucid ?

zordo
April 26th, 2010, 12:31 AM
Have you added the PPA for Lucid ?
Well the sp-auth package's latest version in synaptic is 3.2.6~ppa~lucid7.
I used these (http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/wiki/Installation) instructions.

im missing lib32stdc++5.
Is it a different ppa for lucid?
Synaptic shows LP-PPA-jason-scheunemann/lucid as one source.

howefield
April 26th, 2010, 08:18 PM
I manually added the following to Synaptic, not sure sure if would make a difference but sopcast-player installed for me perfectly with all it's dependancies.

http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu lucid main

greenjumper
April 30th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I got this error when trying to install on Lucid:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:

Anyone got any ideas?

May 1st, 2010, 11:18 AM
here http://packages.debian.org/lenny/i386/libstdc++5/download
then install sp-auth,sopcast-player ... :)

greenjumper
May 2nd, 2010, 11:58 AM
here http://packages.debian.org/lenny/i386/libstdc++5/download
then install sp-auth,sopcast-player ... :)

Thank you very much! That worked a treat!

beegary
May 2nd, 2010, 01:43 PM
Thank you very much! That worked a treat!

+1 thank you very much.My life is incomplete without sopcast!!!!

afrodeity
May 2nd, 2010, 06:56 PM
I installed sopcast on my laptop which has a fresh lucid install, its working but no channels

This link doesn't seem to download anything http://www.sopcast.com/gchlxml

are there any other channel guide links for sopplayer?

afrodeity
May 3rd, 2010, 12:25 AM
Wondering if there is an update-alternatives or zero-install solution to having more than one VLC version on my desktop system.:)

http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/91

http://0install.net/injector-using.html

joanmunoz
May 5th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Hi!

I'm trying to open an external player (VLC-Desktop), but nothing happens when the buffer is full and it is supposed the image would be displayed. Any help on this issue?

My specs:

Linux joan-laptop 2.6.32-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 28 13:27:30 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux
Sopcast Player 0.4.0
VLC 1.0.6 Goldeneye

Thx!!

Joan

Bo Rosén
May 8th, 2010, 11:43 AM
Try deleting your gconf (this WILL erase all user settings for current programs) and then through synaptic choose to fully remove sopcast-player and then reinstall.

I have the same problem with links in firefox not starting sopcast-player. I installed it via the repos.

When it didn't work (it works from the Gnome Menu) I tried purging sopcast-player, renaming .gconf and reinstalling.
No luck.
I'm on a (relatively) clean Lucid install.

SolitaryMan1941
May 10th, 2010, 02:57 AM
I'm having a specific issue with the SopCast Player. One channel in particular does not have sound, thought the video is great. All of the other channels I can get up and running have both sound and video. I've run this specific channel (NDSportsTalk) on a computer with Windows 7 64-bit and it has sound and video so I know the problem is on my end. My HTPC runs Ubuntu Lucid 32-bit (the only OS installed at this time) and I'd prefer to watch TV in the living room. Any ideas?

If I need to reinstall my OS as Lucid 64-bit I can. My system has enough power to upgrade.

matzi11a
May 11th, 2010, 03:19 PM
I was having problem with sop://whatever not working in firefox 3.6 on 10.04 (it was a dist-upgrade from 9.10 fwiw), sopcast-player working fine from menu and cmd line.

editing firefox about:config does not work anymore!!

this solved my issue:
gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/sop/command "/usr/bin/sopcast-player %s"
gconftool-2 -t bool -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/sop/needs_terminal false
gconftool-2 -t bool -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/sop/enabled true

ref: http://forum.ubuntu-it.org/index.php?topic=380533.msg2954371;topicseen

regards.:guitar:

Bo Rosén
May 12th, 2010, 02:19 PM
gconftool-2 -t string -s /desktop/gnome/url-handlers/sop/command "/usr/bin/sopcast-player %s"

Brilliant! Works a treat, thanks.

Operan
May 17th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I was having problem with sop://whatever not working in firefox 3.6 on 10.04 (it was a dist-upgrade from 9.10 fwiw), sopcast-player working fine from menu and cmd line.

editing firefox about:config does not work anymore!!

this solved my issue:

ref: http://forum.ubuntu-it.org/index.php?topic=380533.msg2954371;topicseen

regards.:guitar:

It doesn't work in Kubuntu 10.04 !

tipdrinker
May 25th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Hi I have linux mint 9 installed. I tried to install the deb package and got this error message...

Error: Dependency is not satisfiable: ia32-libs|lib32stdc++5

how do i sort it out. Was hoping to watch the ireland paraguay match this evening on it.:(

tsubaki
May 25th, 2010, 04:00 PM
THX! works grate

tipdrinker
May 25th, 2010, 04:26 PM
had a little more progress but still stuck. Heres what the terminal threw up for me!

kevin@kevin-desktop ~ $ sudo apt-get install sopcast-player
Building dependency tree

So i tried this:

kevin@kevin-desktop ~ $ sudo apt-get install sp-auth
Building dependency tree

sp-auth: Depends: libstdc++5 but it is not installable

And tried this

kevin@kevin-desktop ~ $ sudo apt-get install libstdc++5
Building dependency tree
Package libstdc++5 is not available, but is referred to by another package.
This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
is only available from another source
E: Package libstdc++5 has no installation candidate
kevin@kevin-desktop ~ $

suli8
June 11th, 2010, 12:45 AM
hi
i have the sopcast player that stopped working, and i need your help
it worked good before ... i dont know wts the problem now
when i run it nothing happens..
so i ran it from the terminal and thats what i get

suliman@suliman-laptop:~$ sopcast-player
File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.py", line 1783, in <module>
pySop = pySopCast()
File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.py", line 371, in __init__
suliman@suliman-laptop:~$

suli8
June 11th, 2010, 12:55 AM
i'm sorry i missed the post several pages ago!
i dont remember upgrading the vlc though.... but its in fact 1.1.0 rc the luggage

is there a way to go back to previous version of vlc and get sopcast working?
or i must wait until the update?

thx

suli8
June 11th, 2010, 10:02 AM
ok, i disabled the 3rd party ppa for vlc
reinstalled the 1.0.6 version
reinstalled sopcast

and problem solved!!
:razz::razz::razz:

afrodeity
June 11th, 2010, 12:12 PM
If you like me and have VLC 1.1.0 rc The Luggage (It keeps getting installed, and haven't figured out from which third party ppa) then try these:

http://code.google.com/p/gsopcast/
GTK version of sopcast, has no problem with VLC

http://code.google.com/p/qsopcast/ \
QT version of sopcast, has no problem with VLC

Both are a little outdated, it appears there has been more development in the main sopcast-player in this topic.

Both have difficulty with downloading the menu, but you can manually choose.

http://www.sopcast.cn/gchlxml
http://channel.sopcast.com/gchlxml

The only channels which I can watch with my384kb line are the mobile ones. Wish there were a lot more. Please think of those in the third world with low-bandwidth.

Also English subtitles for some of the Chinese Channels would be excellent. Wondering if there is a way to get the subtitles from opensubtitle.org or somewhere else and watch live? Probably wishful thinking.

This is a great project, wish it would update the python bindings so that no VLC conflicts.

:)

ginobe
June 11th, 2010, 10:10 PM
Tipdrinker. i'm a total noob when it comes to linux but i think i found your solution as i had the same problem as you did when installing sopcast-player. it appears that the libstdc++ package is not included in the ubuntu repositories so you have to download it and install it manually. http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gcc-3.3/libstdc++5_3.3.6-18_i386.deb (http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gcc-3.3/libstdc++5_3.3.6-18_i386.deb)
once installed, open terminal and run.
sudo apt-get install sopcast-player sp-auth

this worked for me. hope it helps. enjoy. :)

serpfra
June 13th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Hi
I have SopCast Player 0.4.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 and is working great.
But I'd like to know how can I remove some Bookmarks?
Please help.
T Y

Zunhs
July 30th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Hi,

I have Linux Helena and got the following problem when running
"sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install sopcast-player"

Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net helena/main Packages
Get:5 http://ppa.launchpad.net karmic/main Packages [1,384B]
Hit http://packages.linuxmint.com helena/upstream Packages
Err http://ppa.launchpad.net helena/main Packages
404 Not Found
Hit http://packages.linuxmint.com helena/import Packages
Err http://ppa.launchpad.net helena/main Packages
404 Not Found
Fetched 75.1kB in 0s (116kB/s)
W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/jcfp/ppa/ubuntu/dists/helena/main/binary-amd64/Packages.gz 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu/dists/helena/main/binary-amd64/Packages.gz 404 Not Found

Is it because it is 64 bit os or have I done something else wrong? I can watch a sopcast stream in Firefox if I run "./sp-sc-auth sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/6001 3908 8908 > /dev/null &" in my sp-auth folder and then open http://localhost:8908/tv.asf in Firefox.

Regards
~ Z

Edit: Suddenly "sudo apt-get install sopcast-player" worked. I think the second part (after &&) was aborted because of the above error.

sudo apt-get install sopcast-player
Building dependency tree
sopcast-player is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 252 not upgraded.

The gui works now and it looks great. =)

2nd edit:

I also got Firefox to open sop-links after finding this guide:
http://maketecheasier.com/install-sopcast-in-ubuntu/2010/06/10

network.protocol-handler.expose-all < needed to be toggled to False to ask location of sopcast-player the first time
Set location to /usr/bin/sopcast-player after you click a sop-link
Then toggle back the value in network.protocol-handler.expose-all to True

Now sopcast-player opens up a new player everytime I click a sop-link. *smiles happily*

DeanoCYM
September 9th, 2010, 09:22 PM
Thanks for the great work on this project, I didn't miss an Arsenal game all of last season :)

Any plans to put up a new package for maverick?

Using the Lucid files in maverick doesn't work, something about a conflict with a package called ai32-libs?

vagrale13
September 14th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Same problem with post #413 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9442961&postcount=413) in Maverick beta
Here the output

:~$ sopcast-player
File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.py", line 1783, in <module>
pySop = pySopCast()
File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.py", line 371, in __init__
and VLC media player 1.1.4 The Luggage

ilabor
September 15th, 2010, 03:30 AM
Hey I just released a fix for sopcast-player with VLC 1.1.4 installed

check http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/issues/detail?id=43#c5

-mike

vagrale13
September 15th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Hey I just released a fix for sopcast-player with VLC 1.1.4 installed

check http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/issues/detail?id=43#c5

-mike
Yes works fine in Maverick beta.

wkhasintha
September 15th, 2010, 02:21 PM
Both player and channel guide on the same window

clive littlewood
September 15th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Hi Vagrale13

You have sopcast player working in maverick beta ??

Could you please tell me how you achieved this.

I have used the player in other releases but cannot seem to get this from any PPA.

Any help would be appreciated :D

Clive

vagrale13
September 15th, 2010, 05:24 PM
Hi Vagrale13

You have sopcast player working in maverick beta ??

Could you please tell me how you achieved this.

I have used the player in other releases but cannot seem to get this from any PPA.

Any help would be appreciated :D

Clive
Download and install the .deb packages
sp-auth - 3.2.6~ppa1~lucid7 (https://launchpad.net/%7Ejason-scheunemann/+archive/ppa/+sourcepub/937538/+listing-archive-extra) & sopcast-player - 0.4.0~ppa1~lucid4 (https://launchpad.net/%7Ejason-scheunemann/+archive/ppa/+sourcepub/1074616/+listing-archive-extra)
from here: https://launchpad.net/~jason-scheunemann/+archive/ppa/+packages (https://launchpad.net/%7Ejason-scheunemann/+archive/ppa/+packages)

Then download the .zip file sopcast-player_vlc1.1x-fix.zip
from here http://code.google.com/p/sopcast-player/issues/detail?id=43#c6
extracted file - and two archives vlc.py & VLCWidget.py
replace them to the folder /usr/share/sopcast-player/lib
use command

sudo nautilusor run these commands

cd /path/to_the_extrack_folder/with_archives
sudo mv vlc.py /usr/share/sopcast-player/lib
sudo mv VLCWidget.py /usr/share/sopcast-player/libThen try to open sopcast-player from menu, and must be works! :KS

Then, if you want to play fullscreen go to sopcast-player menu - Edit - preferences - and use command vlc
like this
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/3170/screenshotde.png

and after that, must be works in Maverick! :)

realzippy
September 15th, 2010, 05:44 PM
ELLA vagrale13!

..things might have changed (?),but remember wracking whole filesystem once by running:
sudo dolphin instead of gksudo dolphin.If in doubt use

gksudo nautilus

howefield
September 15th, 2010, 05:48 PM
sudo nautilus

Indeed, seems to work perfectly, however if you want to invoke nautilus with elevated rights use...

gksudo nautilus

clive littlewood
September 15th, 2010, 07:13 PM
Hi Vagrale13

Thanks for the info.

When I try and run the sp=auth deb I get the following dependency error " ia32-libs|lib32stdc++5 "

Do you know of a deb for this ???

Thanks

Clive

ilabor
September 15th, 2010, 07:24 PM
hey clive,

STFW ;)
http://www.webupd8.org/2010/05/install-linux-sopcast-player-040-in.html

vagrale13
September 15th, 2010, 07:35 PM
When I try and run the sp=auth deb I get the following dependency error " ia32-libs|lib32stdc++5 "
Install libstdc++5 from synaptic, and try to install sopcast-player again!
If you want it for .deb here http://packages.ubuntu.com/maverick/libstdc++5
Then, i think must be work.

@ilabor
I think these PPA doesn' t work with Maverick! :popcorn:

clive littlewood
September 15th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Hi All

Thanks everyone for the help.

Everything now working OK :D

What a fantastic forum this is.

Thanks again

Clive

clive littlewood
September 16th, 2010, 04:04 PM
Whoops

Spoke too soon !!!!!

Now getting broken packages message in synaptic and the only way to get rid is to uninstall.

Have tried to do the complete install again but same result.

I think the problem is that I,m installing the lucid PPA on a Maverick system.

Will wait for the proper maverick PPA to arrive methinks.

I have sopcast player working on another box so that is not a problem.

Clive

max69
September 26th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Works perfectly ! Thanks !!! (had to downgrade the ia32 libs for skype anyway)

0N3
September 26th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Works perfectly for me on Ubuntu Maverick Meerkat 10.10 x86_64 using VLC Media Player version 1.1.4 one tiny problem is it freezes every 5 seconds but only for bare fraction of a second otherwise working perfectly for me thanks for great software.

0N3
September 26th, 2010, 12:58 PM
I had to completely remove ia32 and lib32stdc++5 and install older versions and also theres a fix for VLC versions 1.0.0 and higher for this to work. I have all the files i needed to install this but dunno where I can upload them if anybody wanted them for 64bit.

wkhasintha
September 27th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Gotta try this one.

realzippy
October 12th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Hallo Jason,
may I ask if there will be a sopcast player for Maverick in your ppa?
Just asking cause I like to include it in my Maverick-post-install script;
no problem to install the lucid-debs manually.
Thank you again for your work!

Mdi3
October 12th, 2010, 12:11 PM
error, sorry

Mdi3
October 12th, 2010, 12:11 PM
Hi everybody,

I'm posting something on this topic because despite all my efforts, i still can't use Sopcast.

I've been trying to install it for more than 3 months now. Over this period of time, i've done many MANY tutorials. I've uninstalled Sopcast player dozens of times, installed lot of stuff, but still can't get it to work.

At the moment, i can actually launch Sopcast player. But it won't load any channels. Wether i use one of the "basic" channels there is in the software (like CCTV-5) or try some links i know are online, it doesn't give me anything.

What i get is "Connecting", and "Trying the canal again" that's it (actually it's in spanish : "Conectando" and "Reintentando canal")

At this point i just don't know what to do. Do i have a problem with my ports ? If so, how could i solve it ?

I'll hope you'll be able to help me because after 3 months i'm starting to get lose definitely my hope.

Thanks a ton !

realzippy
October 12th, 2010, 02:52 PM
@Mdi3
...this used to happen to me back in the karmic days;after reinstalling all related packages and config files it worked-no idea what was causing this issue.
Or have you set "static" ports?

Mdi3
October 12th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I haven't set static ports, no.

To be honest , you pretty much crush me with your answer :p , cause I feel like i have already done what you advise me to do , like 50 times :p
So i was really hoping to have another answer lol.

Couldn't something else be the problem ??

realzippy
October 12th, 2010, 08:03 PM
If you start in terminal,any error output?
E.g.

sopcast-player sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/6002

(which is soccer spain vs scotland,CCTV5,MET now 21.00-c.23.00)

akaAndrew
October 16th, 2010, 06:16 PM
What i get is "Connecting", and "Trying the canal again" that's it (actually it's in spanish : "Conectando" and "Reintentando canal")

Pretty much the same thing here; 'connecting', 'retrying'.... which ever channel I chose. Is there some firewall related issues or something? Ports on my router that ought be opened up? (Forgive me, I don't really understand these things!)

DeanoCYM
October 17th, 2010, 02:49 PM
Adding the ppa and installing sopcast-player breaks apt for me (in maverick using the lucid .debs), I have to manually locate and rm the packages and the ppa and 'apt-get -f install' to get my package manager working again. When I'm back at home I will do it again and post the errors here.

Rhys

realzippy
October 17th, 2010, 04:21 PM
Adding the ppa and installing sopcast-player breaks apt for me (in maverick using the lucid .debs), I have to manually locate and rm the packages and the ppa and 'apt-get -f install' to get my package manager working again. When I'm back at home I will do it again and post the errors here.

Rhys

???adding the ppa in maverick should not break anything;here everything is fine (after changing "maverick" to "lucid" in software sources).
Need to add the libs as described in post # 422 to make sopcast work.

nadavbbu
October 17th, 2010, 06:01 PM
That's the messege that I've got when I tried to install Sopcast in Ubuntu 10.10 through the teminal:
"Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheu...rce/Sources.gz 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheu...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ferramrober...rce/Sources.gz 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ferramrober...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead."

All help will be appreciated.

realzippy
October 17th, 2010, 08:05 PM
That's the messege that I've got when I tried to install Sopcast in Ubuntu 10.10 through the teminal:
"Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheu...rce/Sources.gz 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheu...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ferramrober...rce/Sources.gz 404 Not Found

W: Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/ferramrober...86/Packages.gz 404 Not Found

E: Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones used instead."

All help will be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.
Open from panel
System/Administration/SoftwareSources/OtherSoftware
rightclick each jasonscheunemann line (2),hit "edit",
change "Distribution: maverick"
to "Distribution: lucid".
"reload" software sources.
After this install sopcast-player,do not forget fix (post #422 (http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9847168&postcount=422)),otherwise it will not start.

DeanoCYM
October 18th, 2010, 03:30 PM
???adding the ppa in maverick should not break anything;here everything is fine (after changing "maverick" to "lucid" in software sources).
Need to add the libs as described in post # 422 to make sopcast work.
Hi, thanks for the help. I tried again but I still have the same problem:

# cat /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jason-scheunemann-ppa-maverick.list
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu lucid main
#deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu lucid main

# apt-get install -y sopcast-player
Building dependency tree
lib32stdc++5 sp-auth
The following NEW packages will be installed
lib32stdc++5 sopcast-player sp-auth
0 upgraded, 3 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
Need to get 182kB/709kB of archives.
After this operation, 3,232kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu/ lucid/main lib32stdc++5 amd64 3.3.6~ppa~lucid2 [182kB]
Fetched 182kB in 0s (239kB/s)
(Reading database ... 156050 files and directories currently installed.)
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/lib32stdc++5_3.3.6~ppa~lucid2_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.5.0.7', which is also in package ia32-libs 20090808ubuntu9
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
Processing triggers for python-gmenu ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/desktop.en_GB.utf8.cache...
Processing triggers for bamfdaemon ...
Rebuilding /usr/share/applications/bamf.index...
Processing triggers for desktop-file-utils ...
Processing triggers for python-support ...
/var/cache/apt/archives/lib32stdc++5_3.3.6~ppa~lucid2_amd64.deb

After this I can not use apt-get for anything without manually locating and removing the packages and the ppa.

root@emenius-desktop:/home/emenius# apt-get upgrade
Building dependency tree
You might want to run ‘apt-get -f install’ to correct these.
sp-auth : Depends: ia32-libs (< 2.7ubuntu17) but 20090808ubuntu9 is installed or
lib32stdc++5 but it is not installed
E: Unmet dependencies. Try using -f.
root@emenius-desktop:/home/emenius# apt-get upgrade -f
Building dependency tree
Correcting dependencies... Done
The following NEW packages will be installed
lib32stdc++5
The following packages have been kept back:
nautilus
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 1 not upgraded.
2 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/182kB of archives.
After this operation, 844kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?
(Reading database ... 156135 files and directories currently installed.)
dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/lib32stdc++5_3.3.6~ppa~lucid2_amd64.deb (--unpack):
trying to overwrite '/usr/lib32/libstdc++.so.5.0.7', which is also in package ia32-libs 20090808ubuntu9
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste killed by signal (Broken pipe)
/var/cache/apt/archives/lib32stdc++5_3.3.6~ppa~lucid2_amd64.deb

Any ideas what's going wrong here? Package was working fine in lucid for me, it's odd because It seems I'm the only one with this problem!

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Rhys

realzippy
October 18th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Probably you get the same error when installing the Libstcc before sopcast.,
but try it (http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gcc-3.3/libstdc++5_3.3.6-18_amd64.deb).
If same error,you could temporarily uninstall the ia32libs package to avoid the conflict...
I am not on a 64 bit machine in the moment,so I do not have the problem
and cannot reproduce your issue.

thruxton
December 14th, 2010, 11:41 PM
Hey, I have just installed sopcast-player 0.4.1~ppa1~maverick2 but the default channel guide points to: http://www.sopcast.com/gchlxml
Nothing happens when you try to load channels, is there a working channel guide somewhere else?

realzippy
December 21st, 2010, 10:17 AM
Nah,it was temporarily down.happens sometimes...

c-m
December 21st, 2010, 10:29 AM
Sopcast links are no longer working for me in firefox. I'm getting the unknown protocall.

howefield
December 21st, 2010, 10:41 AM
Try entering the following commands in terminal.

c-m
December 21st, 2010, 12:21 PM
That worked a treat thanks. I'd have never have known that.

wyth
February 27th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Hi
I have SopCast Player 0.4.0 on Ubuntu 10.04 and is working great.
But I'd like to know how can I remove some Bookmarks?
Please help.
T Y

Don't know if you ever got the answer, but for anyone else, check in ~/.pySopCast. Your bookmarks are stored in the sqlite pySopCast.db database. To edit them, you'll need an application like SQLite Database Browser (in the repositories).

DarkTide
April 5th, 2011, 06:34 AM
yesterday I contacted sopcast.com about that very subject. They said they would be happy to add SopCast Player to the downloads page. I assume it will happen sometime soon. I will definitely keep everyone updated. Now if I could just get a Linux mag to review the player...

Bo Rosén
April 21st, 2011, 07:56 PM
I'm playing around with Natty, a clean install except for my old /home. I installed sopcast-player from the ferramroberto repository and the program runs fine when started on its own. But links won't work in Firefox, I get the 'sop protocol not associated with any program' message.

Not sure how much Natty differs from Maverick here, but the gconf settings seem fine.
Command points to /usr/bin/sopcast-player %s (I tried "%s" too)
Enabled and 'needs terminal' disabled.

In Firefox I have 'network.protocol-handler.app.sop customised* string sopcast-player'

*Or words to that effect, it's in Swedish.

Any ideas?

Solved it: In Firefox, I needed to go to Edit --> Options --> Programs and add the path to sopcast-player manually for the 'sop' entry. It was set to 'always ask' but since it didn't do that... :)

flyguy97
April 30th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Version 0.6.0 is out on my google code page http://sopcast-player.googlecode.com. Several bug fixes including fixes for fullscreen and hidden controls mode. Let me know if you are having any issues.

Please Note: I have submitted a build request for version 0.6.0 through my PPA, however the build servers are extremely backed up because of Natty. It may be until the 5th of May until the update is available through my ppa. Sorry for the inconvenience. Please give it a try and tell me what you think.

Cheers,
Jason

tsx2424
June 15th, 2011, 01:59 PM
It's great app and work great.I using external player as mplayer as it is very stable.but mplayer does not show the url such as "http://127.0.0.1:37099/tv.asf"

How can I see these url in mplayer?
Sopplayer showing url When I select channel.but disappear in few second.

his221
August 14th, 2011, 01:28 PM
Hi!

For those of your unable to open the sop links automatically from chrome or firefox in Ubuntu Natty, you have to change the file /usr/share/applications/sopcast-player.desktop with the following text:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=SopCast Player
GenericName=Internet Television
Comment=GUI front-end to SopCast
TryExec=sopcast-player
Exec=sopcast-player %U
Icon=sopcast-player
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=GNOME;AudioVideo;P2P;Video;TV;GTK;
StartupNotify=true
MimeType=video/x-ms-wmv;x-scheme-handler/sop;

Once done, you just have to run:
sudo update-desktop-database and without restarting Ubuntu, the sop links work.

The modifications I did where based on this article: How to configure chrome to open magnet url's with deluge? (http://askubuntu.com/questions/44849/how-to-configure-chrome-to-open-magnet-urls-with-deluge)
I would be nice if the changes where submitted to the code ppa directly.

vall
August 20th, 2011, 11:02 PM
Hi,

I tried installing sopcast player 0.7.2 on Fedora 15 64bit. When I run it I get:

/usr/bin/sopcast-player: line 2: 13709 Segmentation fault (core dumped) /usr/bin/python /usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.py $@

with Python 2.7. When I run it with python2.5 it seems to run but I miss some libraries, which I don't know how to install:

File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.py", line 22, in <module>
import gobject
ImportError: No module named gobject

I need help to get it working with the default python2.7.

If I run the commandp-line client like that it works fine:

sp-sc sop://broker.sopcast.com:3912/106491 3908 8908 > /dev/null &
mplayer http://localhost:8908/tv.asf

lf28
September 24th, 2011, 11:29 AM
Hi,

I have just installed the sopcast player from the PPA in Ubuntu 11.04. The installation finishes without any problem. But the player cannot be launched at all. When I open it from utility, nothing happens. Then I launch it from terminal, it gives the following error messages:

File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.py", line 790, in <module>
pySop.main()
File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.py", line 152, in main
self.populate_channel_treeview(chinese)
File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.py", line 332, in populate_channel_treeview
channel_group_iter = self.channel_treeview_model.append(None, self.prepare_row_for_channel_treeview_model(channe l_group))
TypeError: value is of wrong type for this column

Have tried remove and reinstall, no luck. Thanks a lot!!!

B70
December 4th, 2011, 10:48 PM
Hello,

I would be happy if you could help me.

I use Ubuntu 11.10 and I installed SopCast Player. After a while, the program refused to start. I use 2ClickUpdate and it seems that the application has replaced the program with Ferramosca's version. I uninstalled the program and I installed Ferramosca's program. After a while, even this program has not started. I uninstalled and reinstalled, alternatively, both programs, but none could be started. I do not know what could be done in this situation.

wiresquire
April 4th, 2012, 09:12 AM
Any chance of adding support for Precise Pangolin to the repository? ;)

wiresquire
April 7th, 2012, 03:22 AM
I tried manually adding the oneiric packages to Precise (after ensuring that the dependencies were installed),and I get a segmentation fault :(

Does anyone have any info on how to get sopcast going on Precise Pangolin 64 bit?

wiresquire
April 7th, 2012, 04:43 AM
Well, to answer my own question - kind of...

a) You can install the latest windows Sopcast player under wine.

b) The problem with the ubuntu/linux sopcast player appears to be in the sopcast-player package. You can actually still use sp-sc from the sp-auth package, and manually run mplayer/VLC to view the stream.
This seemed to be working fine for me during a short test :D
So, to summarise what I did:
*install ia32-libs, vlc, libvlc-dev
*download and install sp-auth package from repository. Note that I downloaded the oneiric ocelot AMD64 bit package for my 64 bit Precise install.
*run sp-sc, eg
sp-sc sop://broker.sopcast.com:1234/5678 3908 8908 > /dev/null
*open up vlc and select Media/Open Network Stream, and enter http://localhost:8908/tv.asf

Enjoy your sopcast stream

c-m
May 3rd, 2012, 03:45 PM
How do we install in Ubuntu 12.04 64bit?

Thanks

InSearchOf
May 7th, 2012, 12:30 PM
The PPA has recently been updated for 12.04 (https://launchpad.net/~jason-scheunemann/+archive/ppa), so it's possible to install using apt-get... but when I start the player after installation i get this error:

File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.py", line 32, in <module>
from fork import ForkSOP
File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/fork.py", line 28, in <module>
class Fork(gobject.GObject):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gobject/__init__.py", line 60, in __init__
cls._type_register(cls.__dict__)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gobject/__init__.py", line 115, in _type_register
type_register(cls, namespace.get('__gtype_name__'))
OverflowError: signed integer is greater than maximum (while registering property 'pid' for GType 'fork+Fork')

Any help?
System: Precise 12.04 64bit

freedmax
May 7th, 2012, 01:00 PM
The PPA has recently been updated for 12.04 (https://launchpad.net/~jason-scheunemann/+archive/ppa), so it's possible to install using apt-get... but when I start the player after installation i get this error:

File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/sopcast-player.py", line 32, in <module>
from fork import ForkSOP
File "/usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/fork.py", line 28, in <module>
class Fork(gobject.GObject):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gobject/__init__.py", line 60, in __init__
cls._type_register(cls.__dict__)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/gobject/__init__.py", line 115, in _type_register
type_register(cls, namespace.get('__gtype_name__'))
OverflowError: signed integer is greater than maximum (while registering property 'pid' for GType 'fork+Fork')

Any help?
System: Precise 12.04 64bit

The same output for me.

tobson
May 7th, 2012, 02:31 PM
I had the same problem but solved by installing sopcast from ppa:ferramroberto/sopcast. After installastion I got an segmetation fault but inserting only a # on the first position of the line import vlc_1_0_x in /usr/share/sopcast-player/lib/VLCWidget.py solved this issue and Sopcast is now working fine.

InSearchOf
May 7th, 2012, 03:53 PM
Kind of working with tobson's workaround. Thanks :-)
Segmentation fault is still happening from time to time when opening channels. I do though suspect that it only happens when trying to open dead sop-links, but do not know how to confirm this at this point.

tobson
May 11th, 2012, 01:44 PM
today there was an update in the ppa i'm using (ppa:ferramroberto/sopcast) and and it is still working! :) Don't know what was wrong with other one (ppa:jason-scheunemann/ppa) although there were know the same versions. But havent tried the other one again.

flyguy97
May 11th, 2012, 02:11 PM
today there was an update in the ppa i'm using (ppa:ferramroberto/sopcast) and and it is still working! :) Don't know what was wrong with other one (ppa:jason-scheunemann/ppa) although there were know the same versions. But havent tried the other one again.

I can tell you my ppa is working (ppa:Jason-Scheunemann/ppa). The fix was to finally drop support for pre 1.1.0 versions of sopcast. If you have any further issues please post a support ticket at my google code page and I will fix it as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,
Jason

tobson
May 12th, 2012, 12:55 PM
I can tell you my ppa is working (ppa:Jason-Scheunemann/ppa). The fix was to finally drop support for pre 1.1.0 versions of sopcast. If you have any further issues please post a support ticket at my google code page and I will fix it as soon as possible.

Warmest regards,
Jason

Sorry if this came across wrong. I can tell you that i'm using your ppa awhile now for installing sopcast (also right now) anad mostly without any problems. Thank you it. Just wanted only give an alternative if someone needs a quick sollution.

regards
tobson

toaksie
May 13th, 2012, 01:10 PM
Is there any way to configure the buffer. I have used sopcast in Windows and have no issue with the buffer but on Ubuntu 12.04 sopcast-player only manages to reach 30% buffer and freezes every few seconds

flyguy97
May 19th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Is there any way to configure the buffer. I have used sopcast in Windows and have no issue with the buffer but on Ubuntu 12.04 sopcast-player only manages to reach 30% buffer and freezes every few seconds

I'm not sure what you mean by configure the buffer. Could you please explain??

Regards,
Jason

sakamoto
May 20th, 2012, 02:06 PM
i installed the sopcast player but the refreshing of the sopcast player channel guide constantly results in 'server down'.

any workaround or is the server really down? do i have to install python 2.5? thank you

FYI: ubuntu 10.04 with vlc 1.1.13 installed

edit: i did some additional verification, if i open the available sopcast sources in firefox i always receive an xml parsing error

XML Parsing Error: reference to invalid character number
Line Number 144, Column 11:Phone: 359/886-701-316</description></channel><channel id="130701" type="0" btype="0" language="en"><name en="Khutba Juma" cn="">MTA</name><status>2</status><region en="Canada" cn="加拿大">CA</region><class en="Education" cn="教育类">8</class><user_count>1</user_count><sn>4120</sn><visit_count>12</visit_count><start_from>Sun, 20 May 2012 13:29:43 GMT</start_from><stream_type>wmv</stream_type><kbps>1563</kbps><qs>58</qs><qc>79</qc><sop_address><item>sop://218.106.52.252:3912/130701</item></sop_address><description cn="">Description:Khutba Juma
----------^

http://www.sopcast.com/chlist.xml
http://www.sopcast.cn/chlist.xml
http://www.sopcast.cn/gchlxml
http://www.sopcast.org/chlist.xml
http://www.sopcast.org/gchlxml

sakamoto
May 20th, 2012, 06:19 PM
nevermind - something was apparently broken with those sources but fixed in the meantime. very nice app :D thank you

gordintoronto
May 20th, 2012, 10:47 PM
I copied the ppa address in #474 above, got:
Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/Jason-Scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu/dists/oneiric/main/binary-amd64/Packages 404 Not Found
Failed to fetch http://ppa.launchpad.net/Jason-Scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu/dists/oneiric/main/binary-i386/Packages 404 Not Found

However, this worked in Mint 12 with Cinnamon:
ppa:ferramroberto/sopcast

Thanks, folks!

N0VAK
September 1st, 2012, 03:31 PM
Hello! How to install sopcast-player 0.8.5 on Debian Squeezee ?
I recieve errors:

W: Не удалось получить http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu/dists/'lsb_release/-cs'/binary-i386/Packages.gz 404 Not Found

W: Не удалось получить http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu/dists/'lsb_release/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz 404 Not Found

W: Не удалось получить http://ppa.launchpad.net/jason-scheunemann/ppa/ubuntu/dists/squeezee/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz 404 Not Found