PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] CD Drive Not Working

chez17
January 6th, 2009, 08:51 PM
Pangolin - 64 bit Intrepid

The CD Drive is not working. I am trying to install a copy of XP in virtual box for work reasons and it can't even detect the CD. I put it in the drive and it makes a ton of noise and a box comes up that it couldn't mount the drive. But it keeps going and keeps trying and keeps making the noises. I know this CD works because I have used it multiple times over the years on various computers of mine. I'm a little upset that a brand new system can't detect a CD. Any thoughts?

thomasaaron
January 6th, 2009, 08:56 PM
Here's the big question...

Will it mount other CD's and DVD's?

If so, it's probably your disk. If not, it's probably the drive.

chez17
January 6th, 2009, 09:03 PM
Allow me to answer your question with another question. If it mounts perfectly fine on my other computer(right next to me), doesn't it have to be the drive?

thomasaaron
January 6th, 2009, 09:06 PM
Not necessarily. Drives operate at different speeds, and a faster drive may be more sensitive to scratches, etc... than a slower one. I've seen similar situations before.

I'd really appreciate it, though, if you could answer my questions directly. I'm here to help you, and I hear your frustration. Still, I need the info I request in order to accurately and quickly provide you with a high level of support.

chez17
January 6th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Audio CDs work fine. I don't have any other software cds for Linux. Is it possible to lower/raise the drive speed to help the situation?

Edit: I should add that the CD is flawless, no visible scratches.

thomasaaron
January 6th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I know you can lower the write speed, although I'm not aware of a way to lower the read speed.

You've mentioned the drive is noisy. What do you mean? Is it grinding? Or is it just the sound of it engaging and spinning (this would be like a click or two and a hissing sound, maybe, as opposed to constant clicking and grinding)?

If it's grinding, I can send you a new drive. They are a snap to replace. But unless it's grinding, I really doubt it will make much difference, particularly if the disk is in rough shape.

chez17
January 6th, 2009, 09:32 PM
I would say that it's grinding. It seems like it tries to start up, I hear the normal read sound, but then it starts grinding, and keeps doing it over and over again. I can't even eject the disc without using the manual pin hole method. Maybe it is a broken drive. As I said, audio CDs seem to work fine. The disc I'm using is in great shape and works fine on other computers so I don't think it's that. Is there a way to reinstall the drivers or something?

zika
January 6th, 2009, 09:34 PM
try making a copy of that CD on another machine but with the lowest writing speed ...

thomasaaron
January 6th, 2009, 09:37 PM
No, there aren't any drivers for the disk. It's all built into the kernel. If it's grinding, though, it's probably well on its way to failing. Please fill out this form, and I'll get you a new drive.

I can walk you through swapping it out on the phone.

http://system76.com/article_info.php?articles_id=39

chez17
January 6th, 2009, 10:02 PM
Tom, thanks for the help. I have filled out the form you told me to. Let me know if there is anything else I should do.

thomasaaron
January 6th, 2009, 10:14 PM
Any time.

I'll get the drive sent out tomorrow afternoon.