PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Strange terminal refresh flicker - with video!

tomstrummer
January 6th, 2009, 04:08 PM
The easiest way to describe this problem is to watch this video:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3493635213808586898

Basically if the gnome-terminal is scrolling and I switch to Eclipse (I think it actually happens whenever the terminal is out of focus) it will start to flicker -- the background disappears and text becomes all garbled. If I return focus to the terminal window and refresh it, it clears up again. It also has something to do w/ the size of the terminal window -- if the window is smaller than, say 1/4 of the screen it doesn't seem to happen.

Environment:

Ubuntu Intrepid (I think it happened in Hardy too), kernel 2.6.27-9
AMD x64 workstation w/ Nvidia Quadro FX 1500 GPU
NV binary drivers v177.80
Dual display

I don't think this is a Compiz problem; it occurs even if Compiz is disabled.

I have searched everywhere for this behavior with no results... Any ideas?? If anyone else can even confirm that they've seen this behaivor, I'd be thrilled. Thanks.

tomstrummer
January 7th, 2009, 06:00 PM
Follow up -- here are two screenshots of what it looks like when it 'flickers' -

Bucky Ball
January 7th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Tried a different driver? nvidia-glx-new?

tomstrummer
January 9th, 2009, 03:14 PM

Hmm no I don't believe I've tried that (although it sounds familiar)... What is the difference between nvidia-glx-new and nvidia-glx-177?

If I install "new" and use the "hardware drivers" console to switch between them, do I have to worry about backing up xorg.conf or any other files?

Thanks in advance...

tomstrummer
January 21st, 2009, 09:27 PM

I just installed nvidia-glx-180 (maybe this used to be the "-new" driver?)

Anyway, I haven't really thought about it all day but I think that might have fixed it...

Bucky Ball
January 22nd, 2009, 04:04 AM
That is good news. You will find 'nvidia-glx-new' in Synaptics. The driver to use depends on the age of your card. 177 I think is the oldest. You are probably using 'nvidia-glx' with the 180. Not really sure but check with a search in Synaptics for 'nvidia-glx' maybe.

Basically though, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Sounds like you might have fixed it.