PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Read Only Disk - Cannot Delete

measekite
January 5th, 2009, 05:45 AM
I booted Intrepid 8.10 Live CD. I attempted to create a USB boot drive according to the instructions in the dialog of the Live CD. It Failed!

Now I want to delete whatever is left on the Lexar USB stick drive. It mounts OK. I went to a folder and clicked delete. I received a permissions error.

I then rt clicked on the folder. Choose the Permissions Tab. And tried to change the folder permissions. It said I did not have permission and yet I was listed as an owner.

I then went to terminal and tried gksu and choose nautilus and the file manger came up under root. I then went and tried to change the permission and was denied. The system said it was a read only disk.

I would like to reclaim the space. How can I get rid of these unwanted files?

cdenley
January 5th, 2009, 03:43 PM
If for whatever reason you cannot mount the filesystem as writable, you should be able to reformat it.
System>Administration>Partition Editor
Are you sure you didn't flip a small switch on the side of the drive?

measekite
January 5th, 2009, 04:56 PM
If for whatever reason you cannot mount the filesystem as writable, you should be able to reformat it.
System>Administration>Partition Editor
Are you sure you didn't flip a small switch on the side of the drive?

I manage to use Gparted and reformatted in fat32 the USB flash drive. It gave the name of Label. I could then copy files to it and delete it BUT
I could not change the disk label from disk to Lexar.

I did solve that problem but should not have had to do what I did.

I went to Win2k after the format in Ubuntu. At first I could not write to the drive or do anything but I was persistent and finally it came up under Disk Manager in windows. I then reformatted the drive under fat32 and was able to choose the disk label I wanted (Lexar) and could read and write to it in Windows. I then tested it in Ubuntu and all was well.

First I do not understand why I was not able to change the disk label in Gparted. The box for changing that under properties was READ ONLY and could not be changed but under Windows I could change it.

Then I do not understand why I could not change the permissions using nautilus other than the fact that fat32 is a problem in Linux.

If that is the case how can one ever ditch Windows if they need it occassionally to perform these tasks.

And you have to use fat32 to get the most out of a flash drive so you can use it on most any computer and we do live in a Windows world. If 95% of the computers could read and write ext3 then I would not have a problem.

Does anybody know if I would have used the command line I could have solved the problems or is the command line method for changing permission has the same restrictions as nautilus?

cariboo
January 5th, 2009, 10:05 PM
You probably couldn't change the device label, because it was still mounted. When you want o make any changes using gparted, you have to umount the device first.

Jim